Is it bad to keep clothing in garment bags?

Bel

Reaction score
I have a black tulle dress that I want to protect from snagging. I was hanging it in the garment bag it came with, which seems to be made of nylon. But I read somewhere that it is bad to keep clothing in garment bags for long periods of time because they need to "breathe". Is that true?

i also keep a lot of my clothes in garment bags to keep the dust and whatnot out. the garment bags have holes in them like where the hanger goes in and sometimes at the bottom of the bag so maybe it should be fine, at least for me. *knock wood*

i heard that as long as the garment back is made out of breathable fabric, like cotton, it's fine. definately not the plastic bags from the stores/dry cleaners...

I agree--if you feel strongly that it needs to be protected, I would buy a fabric bag for it.

Fabric is the way to go, especially for leather/fur because plastic dries it out. I'm not sure if fabric is necessary for other materials though?

If we're talking very long-term storage like museums, definitely (and then you wouldn't hang them anyway), but if you're storing stuff for a few years and not decades?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silvercat90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->