The Return of cK Jeans

ellastica

Reaction score
I've seen pretty much every major fashion publication hype this collab and while I wore this stuff in like 5th grade and loved it I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the actual cK Jean redux from the my theresa website.

The first time I saw these images along with the garments on their own, something struck me as very OFF..

While they could've aimed for some air of authenticity, we get these these ridiculously over-priced t-shirts and sweatshirts emblazoned with the HUUUUGGEEE cK Calvin Klein logo, which look blatantly ripped off and produced at some local t-shirt screen print shop. They ended up looking weirdly warped, off-kilter and has the same vibe of those done to death designer spoof graphic tees.

The denim shorts are nicely understated and a decent re-creation of 90s cK Calvin Klein, no none-sense, street wear vibe. However, the skinny jeans, def missed the point of this 90s cK revival. Disappointing in terms of 90s authencity and capturing what made the brand so iconic and universally appealing but I think they may have a cash cow on their hands for the Instagram generation.

Calvin Klein Jeans x MyTheresa collaboration

Lottie Moss follows in Kate Moss's footsteps with Calvin Klein portraits
21 years after Kate Moss first posed for Calvin Klein, her sister Lottie is following in her footsteps

BY OLIVIA BERGIN | 14 JULY 2014

16-year-old Lottie, who was signed to Moss's agency (Storm Models) earlier this year, is the face and body of Calvin Klein Jeans x mytheresa.com The Re-Issue Project, a capsule collection of iconic denim pieces which will be sold exclusively on Mytheresa from July 15.

The collection consists of nine, re-issued pieces from the 90s, and as Moss made her Calvin Klein debut with Mark Wahlberg in 1993 who better than her half-sister to show off the new wares?

SEE: Lottie Moss stars in first fashion shoot

Photographer Michael Avedon captured the elfin-faced teenager, who shares a father with Moss, 40. Avedon is the grandson of legendary photographer Richard, who shot a 15-year-old Brooke Shields wearing just a pair of Calvin Klein jeans in 1981. The campaign, with the tagline: "You want to know what comes between me and my Calvins?" Nothing was deemed controversial at the time.

Avedon said of his subject: "Lottie truly represents the essence of the Calvin Klein girl. Intriguing innocence with utter beauty - it was wonderful to photograph this beautiful young lady!"

Lottie Moss made her modelling debut for Dazed & Confused magazine and has appeared in Teen Vogue, but has spoken of her aspirations to eventually become a fashion journalist.

The re-issue project will range from £70 to £270 and features versions of the original high-waisted skinny jeans worn by Shields in the 80s and the classic, boyfriend tapered jeans worn by Moss in the 90s, as well as the brand's popular "cK" sweatshirts and t-shirts.

Calvin Klein Jeans X Mytheresa.com The Re-Issue Project

Source: dailymail
Credit: Nymphaea

Hate it. God it's so unoriginal. Everywhere i look i see my teenage years back to life. Fashion houses are not even bothering to take inspiration from old trends, they are just facsimiling the past. It's all so vapid.

I'm sure the "fake production factories" must be rubbing their hands in glee, because even back in the day those T-shirts were ridiculously overpriced and were mercilessly copied to perfection, ruining the brand. But clearly that does not deter CK from trying to pull the same trick again.

Les_Sucettes, I feel your pain and completely relate but so does I'm sure every other generations past who's meaningful uniformed outlook of their youth was whored out to the masses (and not so skillfully nor tactfully copied might I add) simply to cash in rather than out of a desire for preservation of countercultural authenticity and cultural relevancy. I mean the 90s was a pretty schizo decade in terms of borrowing fashion from nearly every previous decade!

It would've been nice to see the Unisex aspect, which was such an integral foundation of what made 90s cK Jeans so universal, celebrated. Rather they chose to appeal to the girly teeny-bopper demo and focus on wh*ring out the cK logo which as Iconic as it truly is, in both a cultural and design sense, the Calvin Klein folks missed a huge opportunity to appeal to a much wider audience including not only the youth of today but the guys and gals who actually lived and loved cK Jeans in the 90s!

I remember seeing this cK Jeans vest in one of the Vfiles emails I received a while back and thinking how practical and nice for Fall this cK Jeans quilted vest would be...

Than being appalled by the ridiculous price tag of $120 dollars! But for those with money to burn here's the link.

If I were to fork over that much for this or any other garment for that matter, the construction needs to be top notch which it most def is lacking and the details need more fine-tuning!

CALVIN KLEIN JEANS | BLACK QUILT VEST | VINTAGE 1990s | SIZE M

"A well known CK Jeans 90s silhouette. This vest is rarely seen in this insulated diamond quilted version. A style that I strongly associate with 90s music across the board." - Brian Procell

BRIAN PROCELL FOR VFILES

This expertly curated vintage collection handpicked by Brian Procell is now exclusively available at VFILES. For nearly a decade Brian has been professionally providing reference and vintage inspiration for many of New York's top fashion designers and brands. He is also the founder of PROCELL, a destination boutique in the bowery neighborhood of downtown Manhattan that carries a unique mix of vintage streetwear, sportswear, and designer ready-to-wear.

Skqpv1KHR9GoTyqHG3Gq

vfiles.com

See what I mean. HOW GIIIINNNORRRMMOUUS and weirdly positioned can you go?
P00111521--STANDARD.jpg

The shorts I could see myself wearing but just not buying :lol: and Oddly the site does not show the cK patch on the back. Perhaps a design team oversight?
P00111514--STANDARD.jpg

source: mytheresa.com

Les_Sucettes, I feel your pain and completely relate but so does I'm sure every other generations past who's meaningful uniformed outlook of their youth was whored out to the masses (and not so skillfully nor tactfully copied might I add) simply to cash in rather than out of a desire for preservation of countercultural authenticity and cultural relevancy...

Actually, I love seeing the trends of my youth co-opted and re-marketed. It reminds me of the good (and bad) times and in my way of thinking, it validates the historical significance of what we wore. If it's a good re-invention, I will buy it if I can afford it, or just admire it if I can't. If it's bad, I will laugh at it and enjoy dissecting where they went wrong, such as you are doing here.

But are you saying cK was countercultural? I always viewed it as mainstream. The counterculture at the time was thrift-store grunge, no?

I think the avenues and audiences were mainstream but the messages in Calvin's cK Jeans adverts (in conjunction with the cK One campaigns) which pushed unconventional, unadorned beauties in unisex clothing, was anti-establishment and groundbreaking, at least in the context of what was trending and the norm in the fashion industry at the time.

as much as i am enthusiastic about the ck vintage retro line, i think it is massivly overpriced. but sometimes i wake up at funny times for early fleamarket hunts in hope to find a white vintage ck sweater like the one love aesthetics has
love-aesthetics-slouchy-snapshot-3.jpg

moss's younger sister?... avedon's grandson?

are they serious?~
:yuk:...

yeah- i got a pair of high waisted straight cut 90's CK jeans with the tags still on- cause they weren't selling then either- and cut them off into shorts...
cost- $10
yep!
:mrgreen:

based on the "kate moss in the 90's" fever that has hit teenagers, i would think that this re-issue would be rather successful...

not for me...obviously...
but it seems likely that the teens who are new to this would be wanting some of this stuff...

*i have to wonder, though...
why not re-issue the old ads?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?
wouldn't that be cost effective?
and wouldn't that sell the re-issued garments better than this crap?

:innocent:

based on the "kate moss in the 90's" fever that has hit teenagers, i would think that this re-issue would be rather successful...

but it seems likely that the teens who are new to this would be wanting some of this stuff...

I also think they should reissue the old ads. the new ads are too confusing. they don't even specify which calvin klien line the item shown is from.

Oh, please, kids have no idea who Kate is... :smile:angry:smile: I remember Kendall posted a pic of Kate on instagram back when she got her VP cover last year and all her followers thought it was Kendall... I did 1,3 million facepalms. One for each of the erroneous comments.

Unless I am a kid. The jury is still out.

Last edited by a moderator:
haha...
how awful...
i bet your head still hurts~

^_^

i guess the teens i know are more interested in fashion than in reality TV...
cause they are all worshipping at the Kate Moss altar...
i admit to being really surprised about it myself...
i'm sure you are right that loads of teens don't know her yet, though...
but they wiiilllll....

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silvercat90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->