Alessandro Michele - Designer, Creative Director of Valentino

IDK what jaden makes perfect sense from a Buddhist perspective. If Maya is real then he said something totally logical.

i personally think being a literal philosopher is cringy.

As Karl would say: Philosophy is Philosophy, Dressmaking is dressmaking.

We love Michele but the most interesting thing about him is his clothes.
Philosophy is a tool and the clothes the end goal, at least he is looking for meanings in his work that connects him to his life and obsession.

We want people that create things have a purpose , even my dear Karl was reading allot on Philosophy and everything else and as much as he rightfully said nobody needs to hear how difficult you had it to make a dress or get to the inspiration etc .

My point is as much he (KL) liked to not make a fuss about the intellect side of his persona or work it did make it possible for him to pull from so many parts and do what he did for so long at and often outpaced younger creative directors.

To do thing effortlessly you need a base of knowledge besides raw talent.

Ok Ok @Alquimista and @PDFSD I let Alessandro have a little bit of fun.
I have to say that I respect designers who thinks, who are looking for a purpose through their work but beyond the codes of the said work.

It’s always quite so weird to have someone who has never been that opened about that side of his personalities in interviews or others (maybe I missed it) come with a book on the said subject.

And I say that knowing that I respect more intellectual or profound conversations from designers indulging in frivolity than from designers who are supposed to be « intellectuals ».

i love when a designer writes their autobiography, like christian dior or elsa schiaparelli!

i find alessandro michele so fascinating, i wanna know everything, like the origin of the genderfluid long hair and beard look.

This better be better than the "Who is Sabato de Sarno?" short documentary mess.

I have to say that I respect designers who thinks, who are looking for a purpose through their work but beyond the codes of the said work.

It’s always quite so weird to have someone who has never been that opened about that side of his personalities in interviews or others (maybe I missed it) come with a book on the said subject.

And I say that knowing that I respect more intellectual or profound conversations from designers indulging in frivolity than from designers who are supposed to be « intellectuals ».
I honestly prefer when designers have other interests, keeping them secret or making them known, it's their freedom and privilege: tbf the designers who are solely into fashion can be quite shallow sometimes, and it may reflect on their designs too. And they don't last in the circuit.

Dries and his gardening, Tom Ford and his cinematography, YSL and his collections, Hedi and his photography with Avedon, Karl too, Vacarello and his production job now... you can't deny those hobbies add layers to the fashion of those designers... sometimes incredible prints for Dries or cinematic effects for Anthony.
Miucca too, Raf obviously not...

Sometimes not for the better: it's obvious Virginie Viard has a thing for young contemporary dance, especially after she invited choreographers and dance schools in Dakar and Marseille, but it did not reflect well on what were maybe her most personnal shows...

Alessandro Michele’s philosophy of fashion​

«Critical thinking has guided me throughout my journey since my first runway show for Gucci in 2015», the designer explains at the Turin book fair. There, he presents his literary debut a year and a half after parting ways with Gucci. Among his earliest fashion memories, he mentions a dress by Valentino Garavani. How are you preparing for your first runway show with Valentino? «First of all, I live...»

obj1955318_1-523206.jpeg

«How do I prepare for my first runway show with Valentino? First of all, I live...». This is how Alessandro Michele dodges the question that everyone would like to ask him during his first public appearance, a year and a half after leaving Gucci.

The designer is attending the Turin book fair as a guest for his literary debut, a journey at the intersection of fashion and philosophy, which he openly confesses to being passionate about. As the MFF journalist, patiently awaiting her turn to have her copy signed, asks him about his vision for Valentino, where he recently assumed the role of creative director less than two months ago, he replies, «I do not know yet. Valentino has an impressive archive; it is truly an extraordinary place».

The Roman designer makes a subtle comeback in the media, co-authoring a book about the philosophy of fashion with Emanuele Coccia, one of the most esteemed contemporary philosophers. «Right from the start, I thought that philosophy was the language closest to fashion, and from then on, it became the language of everything I did», he explained in a talk moderated by Daria Bignardi. The designer is welcomed and celebrated by a large audience of admirers, many of whom are very young and proudly showcase the accessories and garments he created for Gucci.

La vita delle forme. Filosofia del reincanto retraces Alessandro Michele’s remarkable career, aiming to unveil the profound essence of fashion. From his first encounter with clothing, his mother’s evening dress, to his tenure as creative director at Gucci. It is a journey into the personal and professional life of the designer, who shares the pivotal moments that have shaped his soul and defined his aesthetic. Alessandro Michele will officially return to the fashion spotlight in september, assuming the creative leadership of Maison Valentino, succeeding Pierpaolo Piccioli.

In September, you will officially return to the fashion spotlight at the helm of Maison Valentino. How are you preparing?

First of all, I live. This is a time for deep reflection. It is all about staying grounded and finding inspiration in simple things. And I am buying more books; I think they are incredibly powerful.

In your book, you mention that one of your earliest memories related to fashion is of your mother’s evening dress, probably a piece by Valentino Garavani. Will you take inspiration from it for your designs?

Maybe, I do not know yet. Valentino has an impressive archive; it is truly an extraordinary place.

How did your interest in philosophy develop?

When I was trying to define my own style, I struggled to find my own language. I could not quite explain what I was doing. That is when my partner, who is deeply passionate about philosophy, started reading passages to me that sparked inspiration. Right from the start, I thought that philosophy was the language closest to fashion, and from then on, it became the language of everything I did.

The book retraces your career, including your debut runway show for Gucci in 2015...

Before 2015, there was a strong focus on marketing; a lot of time was spent on the product, and items lost their intrinsic value. Philosophy guided me through this journey; I adopted it as my language. In my first press release, there was hardly any mention of fashion. However, it was the essence of everything I did.

Today, it is normal to see a guy wearing a shirt with a bow, lilies of the valley in their hair, and sandals on their feet. It was you who introduced this aesthetic to the world...

I work by observing, and to me, the things I did seemed entirely natural. In fact, it seemed strange to me that the fashion world was not acknowledging the significant transformations it had undergone over the years. Following the show, people started talking about the concept of gender fluidity, but I had never heard that word before.

And it was a revolution...

I talked about beauty; I felt it was a beautiful way to narrate the essence of humanity and the different elements that make it up, including clothing. Even with models, I aim to create characters rather than uniform them. The universe is full of diversity, it thrives on diversity, and without such variety, perhaps life would not even exist. This, I believe, is the only language that truly brings things to life.

You co-authored the book «La vita delle forme. Filosofia del reincanto» with Emanuele Coccia. How did you two meet?

I listened to one of his podcasts. Then I had the opportunity to meet him face-to-face and have meaningful conversations with him. Through these interactions, we found that we had many things in common.

And where did the idea of the book come from?

It all happened quite naturally. Our encounter was like magic, a meeting of lives; it was not just an editorial meeting. Our conversations started during the pandemic, and we talked frequently for a year before we began the writing process. The book is a piece of life; it is as if we discovered a way to express what we see and feel.

It is a treatise on the philosophy of fashion. What is your personal relationship with fashion?

I approach it in a fluid and open way, though it is often misinterpreted by many. Through this book, I wanted to reconnect fashion with bodies, which ultimately represent lives and emotions. Clothing holds such an intimate relationship with our lives that it cannot be explained in a simplistic or reductionist manner.

Do you see things that others do not?

I am not sure. Let’s say we simply exist, which is one of the most fascinating things. I am passionate about humanity; I feel and see things, and I approach my work in a personal and intense way. At 51, I feel a sense of freedom, which heightens my senses. Ultimately, it is a form of exercise; I do not think it is a gift, but being able to practice it is certainly a gift.

Where does this freedom come from?

I believe that in life, you only get one shot, and I have approached things with a deep sense of awareness and sincerity. Everything in my life, including this book, has happened in a natural way. I cannot help but be true to myself, and since my work is an extension of who I am, I have done it and continue to do it with immense passion, sincerity, and dedication.
milanofinanza.it/

:-) his press release for show always was filled with philosophical idea´s & approacht this in direct counter balance with his child like curiosities which often resulted him in braken rules of what is deemed normal beauty standards etc more of a case of why not then a overthought intelectual idea to push boundaries

In his italian interviews you get more this sense than the english ones that for him what was normal end up being seen as odd beauty for most and his life partner Giovanni Attili influence that wrote most of his press releases is the one that open him up to this more iphilsocal exploration discussion while working at gucci (Giovanni Attili is Associate Professor of Town Planning at Rome's Università La Sapienza where he lectures in sustainable development and the analysis of urban and territorial systems.)

Lol, this is ridiculous
i feel on this forum we for sure dable also in the ideal of what fashion is or should be etc that is philosophy as well

how often do we want collections to mean something or have a story or a point of view or reflect ......other than just be product

the reason we care and why and how its etc etc its all under the same umbrella of thinking about .....

Michele has opened this side of him a couple of times, actually. His show notes, for example. I just think it's interesting that people probably did't noticed it because he don't seem to be making "intellectual fashion" (whatever that is).

Idk if you would be surprised, but fields like architecture have a very promiscuous relantionship with philosophy. It's quite polemical there too. But they blatantly use concepts from philosophy to think about their work - see Mark Foster Gage about aesthetics and beauty - And honestly, why not? Fashion should be less timid in these subjects. I really wish fashion had the dynamic, intelligent theorists that architecture has. It could be healthy. Fashion have great historians but not theorists.

I'm intrigued with the title of Michele's book. Form, objects (Michele is passionate about objects lol), everything non-human are all hot subjects in the new european philosophy. There is a serious move towards thinking about non-human things - Emanuele wrote a philosophy book about plants.

Michele has opened this side of him a couple of times, actually. His show notes, for example. I just think it's interesting that people probably did't noticed it because he don't seem to be making "intellectual fashion" (whatever that is).

Idk if you would be surprised, but fields like architecture have a very promiscuous relantionship with philosophy. It's quite polemical there too. But they blatantly use concepts from philosophy to think about their work - see Mark Foster Gage about aesthetics and beauty - And honestly, why not? Fashion should be less timid in these subjects. I really wish fashion had the dynamic, intelligent theorists that architecture has. It could be healthy. Fashion have great historians but not theorists.

I'm intrigued with the title of Michele's book. Form, objects (Michele is passionate about objects lol), everything non-human are all hot subjects in the new european philosophy. There is a serious move towards thinking about non-human things - Emanuele wrote a philosophy book about plants.
fashion has brilliant theorists, even fashion historians (like laver, steele or boucher) explore very interesting sociological concepts, fashion outsiders like barthes, simmel and veblen (the last two are from the 19th century when fashion wasn't the beast that it is today but lol) also tried to apply metholodies and concepts from their areas to explain fashion.

imo fashion theory is not as prominent bc its still viewed as something lesser, unworthy of the social sciences (unlike architecture or cinema), gilda de mello e sousa for example wrote one the most incredible books on fashion and she was basically yelled at by her peers lol they were apalled that a well respected philosopher would bother with something as frivolous as fashion.

its quite funny, most ppl (those who dont work in fashion/dont know much abt out it) are very intrigued and fascinated by fashion's theatrics but the moment you try to talk abt it as a serious field of knowledge youre almost immediately rebuked "its just clothes omggg stfu 😵‍💫" (sorry for the long reply 😭)

fashion has brilliant theorists, even fashion historians (like laver, steele or boucher) explore very interesting sociological concepts, fashion outsiders like barthes, simmel and veblen (the last two are from the 19th century when fashion wasn't the beast that it is today but lol) also tried to apply metholodies and concepts from their areas to explain fashion.
There are a few. I need to get deeper into it. But what I meant exactly by theorist is that insider person who makes or uses a conceptual apparatus to think about what they do (or what others do). The books about fashion have this sociological, historical bent which is different from architecture books that in my view are mostly formalist, analytical and written by insiders.

imo fashion theory is not as prominent bc its still viewed as something lesser, unworthy of the social sciences (unlike architecture or cinema), gilda de mello e sousa for example wrote one the most incredible books on fashion and she was basically yelled at by her peers lol they were apalled that a well respected philosopher would bother with something as frivolous as fashion.

And that's problematic even from the point of view of a vulgar sociology. Clothes are extremely social objects lol. It's sad that even feminism seems indifferent about this state if you think how fashion is thought as women's thing, etc, etc.

Fashion has to impose itself in the design debate. It can't be the eternal naive sister of furniture, architecture, etc all other design practices.

Idk where it can do it. Fashion magazines? University? And it's not even about the designer himself writing it, it can be him or a stylist or anyone that has the knowledge. The conglomerates can be a pain in the a** too with their hydra influence. But Michele's book is a great sign, of course. I'm excited to read it.

My soul would be cleaned and blessed if Nicolas wrote a 300 page book analysing his clothes. :brows:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ellaboyce
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->