How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise / Celebrity Singers/Musicians
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

29-09-2007
trendsetter

Continued!

29-09-2007
trendsetter

Continued!

29-09-2007
fashion insider

Carlalicious she's adorable, thanks

02-10-2007
fashion elite

Michel Comte 1993

www.lumas.de

05-10-2007
front row

A new commercial:

megamodo.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKTKD_DvNeM

05-10-2007
V.I.P.

WOW SHOCKING she is such a goddessssssss... what a supermodel...

06-10-2007
oh! darling

Her music is just amazing! I was so surprised. She's an all-over talent.

24-10-2007
trendsetter

Still taking the Mick? Her name has been linked to a string of famous men, from Donald Trump to Eric Clapton. But it was her long affair with Mick Jagger that made Carla Bruni notorious and helped to break up his marriage with Jerry Hall.

The Daily Mail (London, England) Date: May 5, 2007

Byline: REBECCA HARDY

Sitting on a sofa, long legs tucked beneath her, Carla Bruni has a confession to make. 'Of course I was in love with Mick,' says the woman who is said to be responsible for the break-up of Mick Jagger's marriage to Jerry Hall.

She grinds the stub of her menthol cigarette into a china ashtray and continues, 'But the whole thing was so complicated. Yes, complicated.'

Indeed. Carla was 22 when she met Jagger during her days as one of the elite group of
supermodels who dominated the catwalks in the early 1990s. He was 48 and about to be a father for the third time with Jerry Hall. When the baby, Georgia May, was born, he reportedly deserted mother and child within 24 hours of the birth in order to meet Carla in Thailand.

Jerry rang her and told Carla to leave her man alone. Later, the two met face-to-face in a Paris hotel lobby and had a screaming match.

Jerry was quite accustomed to Mick's little flings and normally turned a blind eye, but she identified Carla as a real threat to the marriage (although it was Mick's love child with Brazilian model Luciana Morad that later proved to be the final straw). Jerry made Mick promise to stop seeing Carla, but, in spite of that, the affair continued for seven years.

There was further trouble when Jerry found a fax Carla had sent to Jagger arranging to meet him at a Las Vegas hotel. Carla fanned the flames by saying of Jerry, 'She has no class, no elegance.' So what attracted Carla, now 39, to a man more than twice her age (apart from his multimillions, perhaps)?

'I'm interested in accomplished people, people who have done a lot. I like hard workers. I don't like lazy men. Intelligence attracts me. Maybe Mick was part rebellion, but it was also a very civilised, friendly relationship and still is,' she says.

Did she ever consider marrying him? Carla giggles. 'You mean as a third wife? No, to me the relationship with Mick was always much more of a friendship. I never had a passionate, crazy thing with him. I think he's a great person. He has a great talent and an incredible personality. He was always curious about other people doing other things. There was no ego. I like intense people. I don't like relaxed people - those who want to be normal. I like people who don't want to be normal. With Mick, I have a friendship that still goes on. I'm friendly with all my ex-boyfriends. I know all their children and their new wives.' So what about her other reportedly numerous high-profile relationships, including ones with Eric Clapton, Kevin Costner and Donald Trump? 'Donald Trump!' Carla explodes.

'Never! I never was with Donald Trump, and I've never even met Kevin Costner.' Trump once said that Carla could never be trusted to tell the truth about anything; she countered by calling him a lunatic. Clapton was different, though. 'Now Eric... Eric was a very interesting man, but I was too young to appreciate how interesting he was.' She emphasises the 'r' in Eric, rolling it around her mouth with nostalgic intimacy. 'He's a very simple, shy man. I liked the contrast between that and his talent with his voice, guitar and songwriting. I only stayed with Eric for a few months and he was touring all over the world. I think he wanted to build something. He'd not had an easy childhood and needed a family.

I was much too young, only 20.' Today, she is with her philosopher boyfriend, Raphael Enthoven, who is ten years her junior and a dashing star of Paris's intellectual set. The father of her son, Aurelian, five, she says he is a 'cool, free man' whom she adores.
Since ending her career as a model, Carla has been forging a career as a singer and songwriter. Her first album, Quelqu'un m'a dit (Someone Told Me), was a surprise hit, selling two million copies worldwide after slowly gaining a word-of-mouth following. Her second album (her first in English), No Promises, is based upon the poems of Emily Dickinson, W. H. Auden, Yeats and Dorothy Parker.

Marianne Faithfull (another ex-girlfriend of Jagger's) helped Carla with her pronunciation and phrasing. She says most of her songs are based on heartbreak. 'But the pain you suffer in life is not from being heartbroken,' she says.

'Heartbreak is a lovely pain.' And despite her privileged background, born into one of Italy's most important and wealthy families (her grandfather founded the tyre-making firm CEAT in the 1920s), it's not all been plain sailing for Carla. Her family left Turin for Paris when she was just six to get away from the threat of kidnapping by the notorious Red Brigades - the Leftwing terrorist group committed to overthrowing capitalism in Italy.

'With the kidnappings at that time, I had a confused sense of something threatening, but it wasn't precise until a few years later,' she says. 'The people who bought our house had a five-year-old child who was kidnapped two years later on his way to school with his mother. They didn't kill him, they sent him back after three months, but that's when I realised what my fear was based on.' She says her earliest childhood memory is hanging on to her mother's skirt - or, more often than not, her nanny's. 'I remember a great shyness and also a sense of fear,' she says. 'The fear was of being lonely. When you're a child you're always scared of being abandoned. I think I have an anxious nature.' She was the daughter of older parents - her father was in his mid-50s when she was born and her mother was 40 - who were rarely there.

But then, when she hit her teenage years, her father retired from running CEAT. 'That's exactly when you don't want your parents around,' she says. 'You want to wear your hair red and get a piercing and try everything you can. One of my favourite things was pretending to go to bed and then sneaking out to go dancing because I wasn't allowed to until I was 17. I tried drugs, but not much - I don't really like losing it.' She says that from her bedroom window in their Paris home, she looked out across the skyscrapers of the city's financial district. It reminded her of New York and she dreamed of finding adventure there. At 19, she took the first step by becoming a model.

'My ambition was never about getting married or having children; it was about discovering the world, working and being out in society. That's why the modelling was good for me. It was an adventure. I wanted to earn my own money. I wanted to travel. I wanted to leave home. But there are sides of modelling that are hard, because it's artificial and superficial. It doesn't care about your heart and your soul.' Her decision to leave modelling coincided with her father's death at the age of 82. 'His death was more strange than painful,' she says. 'It was like the ceiling had gone. I got scared. I was 28. It wasn't as if I saw him a lot at that age, but it was as if I no longer had a ceiling to push against. A friend called when my father died and said, "Now you can play music." He was so right. Maybe I was afraid of his judgment, or maybe it was my way of keeping him with me. It makes me shiver to think of that.' Now Carla is a parent herself. She says it has given her a greater maturity. But, as with so much in Carla's colourful life, even the relationship with the father of her son has not been without scandal. They met when Raphael was separating from his wife, Justine Levy, daughter of Bernard Henri-Levy, the famous philosopher. Three years ago, Ms Levy published a novel, Rien de Grave, a fictional account of a woman who steals someone else's husband. It became a bestseller, in part because it was widely reported that the main character was based on Carla.
Speaking about this for the first time, Carla simply shrugs and says, 'He'd been separated for three months when we met, and I understand that she can't blame herself for the break-up, but to be blamed so publicly. It was...' She shrugs again. She says her decision to have a baby with Raphael wasn't carefully thought out. They just decided to 'go for it'. 'I was really happy to be pregnant,' she says. 'Then, when he was born, I felt fusion - close to somebody for the first time in my life. I've never felt fusion with a man - maybe for a little time, but not for long.

'Maybe one day I'll feel that I can be married - maybe if Raphael and I stay together for 40 years. I adore him, but we're still two separate people. Maybe he's the only man who could bear that. Older men don't like that. It's too threatening. They fear they'll lose you.' I wonder if, once again, she's referring to Jagger. 'I was in love with him, definitely, but I was just a girlfriend and I liked to be free.'

Carla's new album, No Promises, is released on Monday.

COPYRIGHT 2007

24-10-2007
oh! darling

^ Ugggggg.

25-10-2007
V.I.P.

scanned by me 1994

carla was in top ten best dressed women in 1994 by vogue

26-10-2007
trendsetter

From ebay.

28-10-2007
trendsetter

My Carla scanns from Croatian mag Mila.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carla1.jpg (93.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg carla1001.jpg (228.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg carla2.jpg (94.5 KB, 8 views)

01-11-2007
trendsetter

From 1993-1994. My scanns.

04-11-2007
i'm almost ready..

thank you so much for that article wildchild...
i dont know what i think about her life choices but i am so intrigued by her honesty..
i find her really candid and quite insightful in places, and i really appreciate that..

she seems like she thinks...and she isnt afraid to be honest..even about her own behaviour..
she has a tendency to come across as arrogant, but i have a feeling she judges herself as harshly as she does others..
i like the way she talks about her relationships....i'm so sick of celebrities pretending everything is so blissful and wonderful....carla is refreshing...

12-11-2007
front row

Carla & Karl.
Grazia Italy, Scanned by me.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2004, 2010, bruni, carla, march, november