How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / the Art of Noise / Celebrity Singers/Musicians
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-04-2011
front row

^ She really is. SO underrated! She is so cute though

09-01-2012
V.I.P.

Vogue Paris Decembre 2011 - Janvier 2012
IDOLES
Part One

Ph: Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

storemags via IAmLordZen

09-01-2012
V.I.P.

stunning!

28-05-2012
V.I.P.

i always loved her style, but i just started listening to her music. this girl is a star!

V.I.P.

I never get bored of 'The ArchAndroid'... she might be underrated but not many artist can create such a masterpiece...

09-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
at the Grammy Week celebrates L.A’s Music Industry Event held at The Getty House on Thursday (February 7) in Los Angeles.

justjared.com

V.I.P.

Quote:
2013 Grammy Awards on Sunday (February 10) at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
''Janelle is wearing an Against Nature vest and shirt, a Moschino jacket, a Ralph Lauren hat, and carrying a Jimmy Choo clutch.''

justjared.com

V.I.P.

Quote:
Clive Davis & The Recording Academy’s 2013 Pre-Grammy Gala and Salute to Industry Icons on Saturday (February 9) at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif.

justjared.com

V.I.P.

55th Annual GRAMMY Awards in Los Angeles - February 10, 2013

tlfan.to

V.I.P.

Janelle Monae attends BlackBerry Z10 Launch Event at Best Buy Theater on March 21, 2013 in New York City.

zimbio.com

V.I.P.

i never paid much attention to her because i thought she was a studio creation. the uniform was a gimmick etc. and i've never heard any of her music, but i've changed my mind because of this:

There are many words that can describe Janelle MonŠe, but the May cover of Essence sums her up perfectly: flawless beauty.
And we're not just talking about the singer's stunning good looks that rightfully landed her a contract with CoverGirl -- it's also MonŠe's award-winning music, singular style and message of individualism that completes her enduring allure.
On Thursday night Essence celebrated MonŠe's May cover and her mantra of "be unique," by throwing an intimate dinner at the Mondrian Soho hotel in New York City. Guests included MonŠe's Wondaland Arts Society crew members Nate Wonder and Chuck Lightning, as well as legendary supermodel-turned-mogul Iman, fashion activist/documentarian Bethann Hardison, celebrity stylist June Ambrose, journalist Lola Ogunnaike, FashionBombDaily.com's Claire Sulmers and GlamazonsBlog.com's Jessica Andrews, to name a few. Essence's masthead toppers were also in attendance -- President Michelle Ebanks; Acting Managing Editor Vanessa Bush; Editor-at-Large Emil Wilbekin and Public Relations Director Dana Baxter.
The Huffington Post Black Voices was on hand as well to fete the 27-year-old star, who stepped out sporting a sleek version of her signature pompadour-esque 'do and a sharp white Topshop suit with black accents for the special occasion. We took the opportunity to ask the Grammy Award-winning singer about keeping her wardrobe strictly black and white.
"It's a dedication to uniformity and I'm a minimalist by heart, but a lot of it had to do with me wanting to have a uniform like the working class, like my mom and my grandmother," MonŠe told The Huffington Post.
The Kansas-native grew up in a working-class family where her mother was employed as a janitor, her father was a trash man and her stepfather worked at the post office. Her grandmother once worked as a sharecropper in Mississippi, and worked at a jailhouse until she passed away. "My grandmother had 16 sisters and brothers and they all had to share one pair of shoes," MonŠe explained. "And so that's the family that I come from -- I don't ever want to be detached from that. I use it as motivation for my music and to just keep me centered, grounded and to stay on message," MonŠe said.
That same sense of humility and drive was echoed in a speech MonŠe delivered after Bush, Essence acting managing editor, presented her with a framed copy of the magazine cover.
"This didn't have to be my life," MonŠe said as tears filled her eyes. "I'm genuinely moved and touched," she added and paused again after becoming overwhelmed with emotion.
"There are lots of beautiful young women of color out there who would look just as gorgeous or even more gorgeous on this cover and for you guys to see something in me -- and for my story to connect in a way that you allowed me to tell and have this platform to tell my story to your readers, is just something I won't take for granted," she said.
She went on to say, "I look forward to continuing to partner and do things that can encourage our young girls to be comfortable in their own skin and know that they don't have to sacrifice or -- they don't even have to be like Janelle MonŠe to be on the cover of Essence." (huffingtonpost)

V.I.P.

at BET's 106 & Park in New York.

fashionologie.com

V.I.P.

I like that hair style best. Stunning!

05-05-2013
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

i love that she is making some slight changes with her hair and style coz the previous one was nice but was starting to get annoying. She looks good in her new video with Erykah

06-05-2013
backstage pass

Janelle is so beautiful-- like a young modern, funky Lena Horne. I never thought her style was gimmicky or in any way contrived because she wore it so effortlessly. People with style wear the clothes-- not the other way around, right Beyonce and Kanye? Janelle always moved so freely and looks so naturally cool.

And yeah, Erykah Badu looks unbelievably awesome with Janelle... I have no words to describe Erykah, she is all kinds of wonderful to me and has so much style it must hurt. Janelle's rap at the end is mindblowing-- it's so old-skool but fresh. I hope these ladies collaborate more.

The rest of the world can have plastic barbie-doll Beyonce, I'll gladly keep Erykah and Janelle for myself.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
janelle, monae