How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Caf / the Art of Noise / Celebrity Singers/Musicians
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-04-2012
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
^^^The thing is, Madonna's always referenced the iconic Grande Dames: Dietrich, Garbo, Jean Seberg, Jane Mansfield, Warhol... That's what makes her so much better than any of the other pop stars because her repository of iconic references had always been so rich. It's just now that she's so desperate to be down with the kidz-- she's obviously going through some midlife crisis. All the rent-a-rapper guest spots, skimpy outfits and urban entourage won't ever endear her to the kids; they will never accept a 53-year-old trying to be down with them.

And all her older fans who think she's so cool chasing the latest trends also look stupid and out of touch by going along with her. Acting her age, and not her shoe-size doesn't mean she has to sing Celine Dion power ballads in Vegas. Look at Grace Jones, who's still doing her thing, wearing very provocative designers, and making music that's modern and distinctively original, but mature. Madonna's just desperate to be relevant in the most crass and commercial sense, and her music and legacy is suffering as a result. Even a track like "Superstar" is quite good in it's simplicity, but then she ruins it by adding some nonsense line "Give you the password to my phone" to try to connect with the kidz? Really Madonna..? It's so cringeworthy to hear a mature woman sing that line. It's a joke. Like Spike413 mentioned, she's dumbing herself down to be accepted on the radio, who still ignores her despite the massive payola from Live Nation.
I agree with basically the whole second paragraph, and honestly, cringe-worthy is the only fitting description for some of what's on this new album. There are quite a few lyrics that I honestly think just sound, well, dumb if I'm being completely honest. Dumb, unsophisticated and silly.

And I have to say, the fact that Madonna refers to herself as a girl in 3 songs (that I can count, anyway) is, to me, more than just a poor choice. It's a sign of where she's at. She's not a girl, and she hasn't been for some time. Girls do not write about the things she once wrote about, beautifully at that. Girls do not have a wealth of life experience, emotion, ideas and struggles. Why does she want to call herself a girl? Why would she want other people to view her as one?

I just don't get it.

Still, there are songs I like, particularly Gang Bang (despite the, it seems, purely-for-the-sake-of-being-controversial title) and I'm Addicted, but I really wouldn't call MDNA a triumph, nor do I think it re-asserts Madonna's power over the female pop game because, frankly, there are other artists doing what she does better than she's currently been doing it. Sad to say that she sets herself up for that kind of comparison by directly competing with them, rather than setting herself apart entirely.

04-04-2012
backstage pass

^^^Midlife-crisis in overdrive.

If people love this new album and this persona of hers, good for them-- I definitely wouldn't want to take that enjoyment from them. But let's not pretend this era isn't a few dozen steps down from what Madonna came to represent in the pop world. She is dumbing herself down to the masses and to compete with the other reigning pop starlets-- who are all, as bland and unoriginal as can be. And she wants to emulate that? Just look at that Facebook interview as well as the snaps from the Miami music festival: she's done up like Avril Lavigne's mom... I have no words-- f*****g Avril Lavigne! You're so punk rawk Madonna... She's become that embarrassing middle-age aunt who says "Has anyone seen Molly?" and wears sock sleeves because she wants the kidz to think she's hip and raaaaw. Oh boy...

I seriously miss Lori Goldstein's styling and the rich and lush era of Bedtime Stories-- the spirit and attitude of which would be so appropriate for Madonna at her age now. Madonna's R 'n B roots were authentic, soulful and heartfelt during that era. Her emergence as a sensual platinum-blonde Jean Harlow goddess in Versace Haute Couture with a Harlem attitude was leagues ahead of everyone else. Arianna may be an impressive costume designer for films, but when it comes to dressing Madonna, I think she's simply awful. Her designs for Madonna's costumes are always so tacky, wannabe, desperate and unflattering.

I always laughed at Cher at how she thought she was so down with that stupid "Believe" track. Now Madonna's new era IS that stupid Cher track...

Last edited by Phuel; 04-04-2012 at 02:47 PM.
05-04-2012
front row

overreacting much you two?

05-04-2012
barcode

^ Couldn't the same be said of all the Madonna fans who are positively piddling themselves over an album filled with rehashed ideas?

07-04-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
^ Couldn't the same be said of all the Madonna fans who are positively piddling themselves over an album filled with rehashed ideas?
totally.The "truth" must be,as always,somewhere in between

07-04-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion debutant View Post
overreacting much you two?
LOL! I don't mean anything malicious-- only a good-natured bashing when she deserves it. If she is genuinely enjoying herself, then good for her, it's just not my thing. Madonna once said that her typical fans who scream and cry for her every move aren't the smartest bunch, and the advice she would give to them is, be an individual and think for yourself.

I still do adore the ol' gal. I can't think of a single pop star, then and now, that has her balls. Just look at all the thread on the other pop starlets: They're all about what they're wearing and who they're seen with, and how pretty their weave is... There's no depth or dimension to all of them. I expect more of Madonna, that's all.

11-04-2012
fashion insider

Didn't her album sales take a HUGE plummet in the second week of its release? See what happens when you try too hard to fit in? You ultimately set yourself up for failure. Just another case of the old trying to imitate the young people and failing miserably (insert sly grin).

She's proven before that she can make a mature, sophisticated pop album. Confessions was a prime example. It really sounded like an album by a woman who's spent the past 30 years making pop music, has learned a lot about making a successful album, and applied it accordingly. Even the lyrics seemed more original and, best, more personal. It successfully bridged the gap between her older and younger fans, and it sounded like nothing that was popular that year (that year being 2005, when Gwen Stefani's debut was out and about.)

So if she can do that before, why did she fail to do it again on this album?

12-04-2012
backstage pass

^^^Oh yes, she's like the Titanic now.

On a brighter note, Gaultier has confirmed he will be designing the costumes for her new tour. At least she'll be dressed well and hopefully look good, and not resemble Marisa Berenson as she did when Riccardo dressed her for the Super Bowl...

16-04-2012
V.I.P.

24-Nov - Mexico City, Mexico - Foro Sol - On sale 4.27 - Fan club pre-sale starts April 18 at 11am local time for Legacy members (12noon for Live Pass members)

28-Nov - Medellin, Colombia - Estadio Atanasio Girardot - On sale 4.26 - Fan club pre-sale starts April 17 at 11am local time for Legacy members (12noon for Live Pass members)

01-Dec - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Parque Dos Atletas - On sale 5.4 - Live Pass registrations will begin April 23.

04-Dec - Sao Paulo, Brazil - Estadio do Morumbi - On sale 4.25 - Fan club pre-sale will start April 18 at 10am for Legacy members (11am for Live Pass members)

09-Dec - Porto Alegre, Brazil - Estadio Olimpico - On sale 4.26 - Fan club pre-sale will start April 18 at 10am for Legacy members (11am for Live Pass members)

19-Dec - Santiago, Chile - Estadio Nacional - On sale 5.2 - Live Pass registrations will begin April 23.

madonnachile.cl

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
On a brighter note, Gaultier has confirmed he will be designing the costumes for her new tour.
OMG that is going to be awesome. I didn't really like her custumes on Sticky and Sweet tour. JPG always does the best for Madonna.

03-05-2012
V.I.P.

The queen of pop up your Facebook page three pictures of the trials begin MDNA tour, which will for the second time in Chile, on 19 December, and for whose concert tickets are on sale through Tiketek. In the pictures you can see the singer and part of the structure of the show, as the "Golden Triangle" area for fans near the stage.

facebook.com/madonna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg get.jpg (58.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg get (1).jpg (49.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg get (2).jpg (60.4 KB, 2 views)

V.I.P.

Check out the stunning cover of Vanity Fair Italy, May 9th issue, which hits local newsstands tomorrow and includes more new pics taken during the making of Madonna's "Truth or Dare" fragrance campaign!

facebook.com/madonna

V.I.P.

^ WHOA that's interesting.

The Madonna app on my iPad is so awesome.

04-05-2012
V.I.P.

Love the pics of the rehearsals, the way that she's photographed from the back, it feeds even more the "mystery". I think they are preparing something huge, well, as usual I would say, judging on the tweets of the dancers who are all exhausted!

06-05-2012
backstage pass

I couldn't find a thread or announcement on this anywhere on TFS, but Adam Yauch aka MCA of the Beastie Boys had passed away Friday, May 4 of cancer. I don't know if he has any fans here at the TFS, but Adam and the Beastie Boys were the soundtrack to my life growing up in the 90s, and they remain so to me even now. These guys are hip hop and b-boy visionaries and music legends. Madonna had personally asked them to be her opening act for her Virgin Tour back in the day, and I think they remained admirers of one another's artistic development throughout the years. Here's a snap of their more innocent days (Adam's the Beastie in the tank).

cdn.idolator.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
madonna