How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise / Celebrity Singers/Musicians
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

14-01-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePrincess
I'm sure they like/love some of them and could care less about the others.

60sWildChild don't you recall Micki talking about how bad The New York Dolls were to some of their groupies? She had some interesting stories.
Yes, I do remember something about Johnny Thunders. Didn't she manage them for a short while? I just posted the photo of her with Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood and Ahmet Ertegun. I really do miss her.... a lot!

And speaking of... Nico, I just read New York Rocker by Gary Valentine. Did you really say, "Maybe you'll write a song about me, no?" The book is in my car and later I'll type the passage, that is if you don't mind, Nico.

15-01-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
"Both Mick and Keith came up to my place and I couldn't decide, really, who I wanted, and they said to me. 'Hey, you make up your mind.' I said, 'I can't, because I like both of you guys.' They played music and smoked and nobody would leave. Keith said, 'Jagger, you ****, leave!' Finally Keith left because Mick really insisted on it. Bianca was coming the next day and he really wanted to see me before. The next day I saw Keith. It was really kind of strange because I liked how sick he looked because he took all the drugs and I really was fascinated by his aura, but he was such a sweet person."
Oh my God! Mick or Kieth? That is THE hardest decision a girl could EVER choose. What a lucky girl.

15-01-2007
V.I.P.

^

15-01-2007
trendsetter

More from I'm With the Band: Confessions of a Groupie:

That's the end of the chapter Every Inch Of My Love about Jimmy Page. Will scan a bit more later. Enjoy!

15-01-2007
LOVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60swildchild

That's the end of the chapter Every Inch Of My Love about Jimmy Page. Will scan a bit more later. Enjoy!
Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15-01-2007
V.I.P.

Am I going insane or are there two groupie threads?

15-01-2007
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaInLondon
Am I going insane or are there two groupie threads?
Shhh... It causes catfights if you mention one in the presence of the other.

15-01-2007
trendsetter

Band mates: in the Seventies Bebe Buell and Pamela Des Barres were backstage royalty--passionate about music, and of course, the men of rock.(two groupies in the 1970's)

WWD | Date: August 29, 2002 | Author: Kerwin, Jessica |

ROCK 'N' ROLL IS MORE THAN MUSIC.

It's raw emotion. It's idol worship. And, duh, it's also about sex. What else could all those fans be screaming about? A rock star's magnetism makes the fan dream of groupie-dom, and leads a groupie hope for life as a rock 'n' roll princess--Bianca to some modern day Mick, Nancy to his Sid, Courtney to his Kurt.

But back in the Seventies, there were two women who dominated the backstage scene. On the East Coast, the New York rock world was ruled by queen bee Bebe Buell, the one-time Playboy Playmate and model who dated Todd Rundgren, Jimmy Page and Elvis Costello, and gave birth to Liv Tyler, daughter of Aerosmith's Steven Tyler. On the West Coast, Pamela Des Barres was every rocker's dream, a freewheeling L.A. beauty linked to Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger and Keith Moon.

Both women were in bands of their own--Bebe in the B-Sides and Pamela in Frank Zappa's girl group the GTO's--but rock at the time was a macho affair. "When I was knocking on all those doors backstage up and down the Sunset Strip, women didn't have much of a role to play besides muse or confidant, or rock courtesan, if you want," said Des Barres, who is at work on a fourth book about her life as a girl-with-the-band. "The word groupie didn't exist. Now groupie has a negative connotation."

How did groupie turn into a dirty word? "Jealousy," said Des Barres. Well, a look at Buell's or Des Barres' life can give any rock lover plenty to be jealous about.

"The best shows were the ones where I was seeing it from the guys' point of view," said Des Barres, who joined the Stones, The Who and Led Zeppelin on-stage. "One time, when I used to get stoned, I was backstage rolling on the floor with Jim Morrison kissing, and we heard the first bars of 'Light My Fire.' That's how the band used to find him. They'd just start the song. We came out of our tangle and I just followed him right out on to the stage."
But while Des Barres' Seventies-era rock reverie offers romantic nostalgia, Buell says that even back then she found the idea of groupie-dom offensive. "There was a difference between the rock 'n' roll royalty, the woman who was married to or dating a rock star," she said, "and the girl that hung out and just wanted sex."

The most obvious difference being, of course, that the rock princess was the one all the boys wanted to meet. "A lot of guys picked up an instrument because they couldn't get girls to pay attention to them in high school," said Buell, whose autobiography is called "Rebel Heart." They turned to the guitar as a sure-fire aphrodisiac. And most of the time, it did the trick."
Most of the time. "I know people may find this hard to believe," Buell added, "but there were lots of times when I would be just too tired to go out. I'd have Mick Jagger calling me on the phone saying, 'Oh, Bebe, please come out,' and I would be like, 'Oh, pleaase, I've gotta go to sleep."

COPYRIGHT 2002 Fairchild Publications, Inc.

http://www.highbeam.com/

15-01-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats
Shhh... It causes catfights if you mention one in the presence of the other.
Really? I thought they would've ended up doing each other. But then maybe my history is flawed.

17-01-2007
trendsetter

Quote:

60swildchild

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!I love it!!!!!! So romantic! Oh, and I also use Pantene! Ahh! I love you Jimmy Page!!!!!!!!! He definately is the most beautiful Englishman alive. I can't wait for the next scan.

But is that the end of it? How did they broke up?

17-01-2007
trendsetter

Pamela at school

with Robert Plant

http://www.electricgypsy.com/pamela/pictures.htm

17-01-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
This is sort of off-topics but I watched Black Dahlia last night and Hilary Swank looked a bit like Bianca I thought.
I saw the movie days ago and I had the same thought....

Interesting thread. I have bought Pamela DesBarres "I am With The Band" back in 1994. Great book; I have read it 5 times since! If you want to know more about Pamela, she is at MySpace. Also her official website is quite interesting... Yes, she has a beautiful, gorgeous son...

17-01-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Yes, I do remember something about Johnny Thunders. Didn't she manage them for a short while? I just posted the photo of her with Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood and Ahmet Ertegun. I really do miss her.... a lot!

And speaking of... Nico, I just read New York Rocker by Gary Valentine. Did you really say, "Maybe you'll write a song about me, no?" The book is in my car and later I'll type the passage, that is if you don't mind, Nico.
Dear 60wildchild, no I don't mind. I actually do not remember saying this to him but again it is quite possible. Heck! That was back in 1981; I was so in love. I might have just forget...

Picture: With Gary, Montréal Dec. 1981

PHOTO CREDIT: Suzanne Paradis

17-01-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahgrace
60swildchild
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!I love it!!!!!! So romantic! Oh, and I also use Pantene! Ahh! I love you Jimmy Page!!!!!!!!! He definately is the most beautiful Englishman alive. I can't wait for the next scan.

But is that the end of it? How did they broke up?
I'll scan more pages to where they broke up. I ordered her follow-up book through Amazon and it should be here soon (I hope). I'll have to check out her MySpace account.

Okay, Nico... here goes: scanned from New York Rocker by Gary Valentine:

I don't remember... have you caught up with him yet? Was he the one touring last Fall?

Last edited by 60swildchild; 17-01-2007 at 02:30 PM.

17-01-2007
trendsetter

I just love those photos of Miss Pamela, dinahgrace. She gives off such positive sunshine karma!! I'd love to meet her.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2006, 2010, groupies, november, october, rock