Rock Groupies (October 2006 - November 2010) - Page 18 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
16-04-2007
backstage pass

I would agree that Sid was very endearing too!
The book about Nancy written by her mom - Deborah Spungen - "And I Don't Want To Live This Life" is very good. I recommend it. It was written in 1983.

16-04-2007
backstage pass

Here is a clipping from CREEM Magazine of January 1979 that I kept and scanned:

16-04-2007
backstage pass

PHOTO: GETTY

Now it is Sid who is dressed smart for the court!

16-04-2007
backstage pass

PHOTO: Corbis

16-04-2007
backstage pass

I love this photo. Very Punk-chic. PHOTO: Punk Magazine, June 1977.

16-04-2007
backstage pass

Thanks for that scan from Creem...that's awesome.

I've got some of those pics larger and without the watermarks here: http://sid-and-nancy.tripod.com

I've got some great pics of Sid from some photo shoots that I can add later this week.

16-04-2007
backstage pass

Back to the Led Zeppelin/Lori Maddox thing...
I read Hammer of the Gods years ago...and was not that impressed with the members of the band. Anyway, does anyone else remember that it only had one small photo of Maureen Plant? If I recall correctly, she was of Indian descent...and also died in a car wreck years ago?
I dug up a few photos of her last week...and she was very pretty.
Does anyone else notice the resemblance to Lori Maddox?
In my opinion, Maureen is classically pretty, whereas Lori was very cute.

Robert, Maureen and daughter Carmen, 1969

-Photo courtesy of Mike Randolph

Robert and Maureen, 1969

-Photo courtesy of Mike Randolph

Robert and Maureen in Hawaii, 1969

-Photo courtesy of Robert Knight

16-04-2007
backstage pass

If I remember well Maureen Plant did not die from the car accident but they lost their son Karak from either the car crash or some children disease. I think he was only 5 when he passed away. Very sad. They use to call it the "Led Zeppelin Curse". Of course, the reason for that so-called curse was Page meddling with black magic... I'll probably learn more from the Cole's book I am now reading.
Thank you for the photos of Robert & Maureen. Yes, I also think she has some physical similarities to Lori. But Maureen was older; she & Robert Plant married very young, even before Zeppelin.
Thanks also for the Sid/Nancy link.

17-04-2007
clever ain't wise

Mauren really looks a lot like a demure, clean, older Lori.

17-04-2007
backstage pass

From WIKIPEDIA:

Plant's time with Led Zeppelin was not without its problems, however. In 1975, he and his wife Maureen were seriously injured in a car crash in Rhodes, Greece. This significantly impacted the production of Led Zeppelin's seventh album Presence, considered by Plant as Led Zeppelin`s greatest record, for a few months while he recovered, and forced the band to cancel the remaining tour dates for the year. Things took an even greater turn for the worse in 1977 when his oldest son Karac died of a stomach infection when Plant was engaged on Led Zeppelin's concert tour of the United States. Karac's death later inspired him to write the song "All My Love" in tribute, featured on Led Zeppelin's final studio LP, 1979's In Through the Out Door.

17-04-2007
backstage pass

More info about Maureen Plant - from the french website: http://pyzeppelin.free.fr

(I did the translation - it is not perfect)

November 9th, 1969, Robert Plant married Maureen Plant, who is half british/half indian. They have been together for 3 years prior to the marriage. Together they had 3 children: Carmen, Karac and Logan Romero. Karac died in july 1977. Robert and Maureen divorced in 1984.

Photo: same source

The family in Wales - 1976:

17-04-2007
backstage pass

Another photo of Maureen. Yes, she is beautifull!
PHOTO: rock.w3h.net

17-04-2007
earthbound

You guys might find my observation a little weird, but Lori (when she was younger) reminds me a bit of Sofia Coppola.

17-04-2007
trendsetter

^ I think so too, I think they have similar noses.
Lori also resembles Maureen to me, who I think is very beautiful, actually theres a lot of girls who look like Lori.

Thanks EvaLaDiva & Nicovelvet for all those pics & infos!
Sometimes Sid looks just nothing but a darling, and I feel sorry for both Maureen & Robert. He took a time off of touring & performing after that and just stayed with his wife & kids for a couple of years.

I just can't believe you still have that scan from Creem magazine! That's amazing! Thanks so much for posting it!

Quote:
I agree with you somewhat on Sid...I've always had a thing for long, lanky guys. But without the acne and the drug habit...and perhaps a bit more talented musically.
I also have a thing for those kind of guys! The pale, tall & lanky ones! Just like Jimmy Page, i gotta say, I'm a bit jealous of Lori.

17-04-2007
trendsetter

An Evening with Sid and Nancy – The Odd Couple Behind Closed Doors

Chris Salewicz, NME, 4 February 1978

SWAYING CRAZILY, Sid Vicious clambers up off the bed. He manages the three or four steps to where, obeying live-in-lover Nancy's instructions, he removes the "God Save The Queen" tablecloth from the top of the colour TV and turns to his visitor. He doesn't appear to notice that he should first have removed the two glasses of fresh orange juice resting on top of the cloth.

They tumble down the front of the TV set and onto the carpet.
In another corner of the room Nancy is experiencing her own problems. Almost frantically she opens a wardrobe and tugs at the handles of a chintzy, white, mock-Louis Quinze drawer.

Suddenly Nancy's kneeling there on the carpet, the handles and the front panel of the drawer having come away in her hands.

Looking just a little baffled, she glances up at me from the floor. "I take a lot of brandy," her New York accent shrills. "Pour a small one for Sid and a big one for me. Sid's not supposed to drink. Otherwise he'll die."

I THINK I know what must have happened. In fact, when Sid got stoned in the afternoon it must have seemed a really great idea to ring up the NME and offer an exclusive Sid-Tells-All interview. After all, it was really good stuff, apparently. Good enough to make you forget you'd only had eight hours sleep in the past four days, and that you were completely strung out on nervous exhaustion following that OD on the flight from San Francisco to New York, and that anyway you'd got such a bad cold as a result of your lung infection that, like some wonderful stroke of McLaren-ite symbolism, your voice really did sound much of the time like a death rattle. So much so, indeed, that there are moments during The Interview (sic) when this reporter has a twinge of bad conscience about his persistent questioning, as though perhaps he's being disrespectful to the dead.

Sid's not going to die, though. You've just heard that. Nancy's going to look after him. Even though they didn't splice the knot like they promised the Home Office they would so Nancy – an American – could stay in this country, she's going to stick around and care for him. Sid's okay so long as Nancy's around, Nancy repeats several times.

Oooooops!!!
Sid's just put a caramel in his mouth. He's shut his eyes. His mouth has opened. The caramel has fallen out. Nancy is picking it up off the black sheets on the bed they're both slumped on. With an affectionate "You are a disgusting pig" she jams it back into Sid's still open mouth and pushes his jaw shut.

Actually, before we get on to the expected Pistols line of questioning, maybe we could have a word or two about the Sid 'n' Nancy relationship. After all, this is probably just as valid in explaining The Split as J. Rotten having turned into an unbearable prima donna, which is what will shortly be claimed.

At first Sid 'n' Nancy do seem just like cartoon characters. In fact, seeing Nancy sprawled out on the bed watching TV and nagging away at Sid to stop nodding out and to at least have the decency to answer the guy's questions because you invited him over here, it seems that maybe it's only her black leather and rubber outfit that prevent her from being seen as the cliched U.S. home-mate she really is. All she needs to complete the picture are a few copies of Modern Screen to add to the box of candies beside her.

After a while, though, the scene becomes clearer. Despite the times Sid has rammed Nancy's head into assorted pieces of masonry they still really love each other. In fact, the public beatings they inflict on each other are just the ultimate Sex Pistolian extension of the relationship enjoyed by couples bound together by their mutual loathing, and in whose company everyone else is embarrassed by their constant bickering whilst the pair themselves really get off on it. You must know a couple like that.

Similarly with Sid's apparent masochism. He denies that his practice of occasionally gouging chunks out of his body is, as has been suggested, at all sexual in origin. Just as the beatings inflicted on Nancy are also probably not of a sexual nature.

In fact, it's closer to post-adolescent angst, like the time you might have come close to biting a hole right through you hand when you couldn't answer any of the questions on your chemistry paper – and, more to the point, you couldn't even figure out why you should be expected to have to answer any of them. So when life as a Pistol, which once again is a real extreme, gets a little too confusing Sid reacts by whipping out a blade and shoving it in his arm.

The cuts on his hands appeared, he says, when he became blood brothers with the Pistols U.S. road crew.

"Everything else is done," he says, "when I get so annoyed over something that I need an enemy – somebody who's done something to me – so that I can take it out on them and beat them to pulp.

"And I always find I'm sitting in a room with a load of friends and I can't do anything to them, so I just go upstairs and smash a glass and cut myself. And then I feel better."

It seems also that Sid is not, as has been sometimes suggested, lacking in brain power. On the contrary it appears there is such a torrent of unchanneled mental activity in the Vicious upstairs that he is constantly connecting with new and even more tormenting demons. The drug abuse doesn't help, of course, but then legally prescribed Valium can screw your head up just as much as anything you score in the street.

Incidentally, The Clash's Mick Jones, a man of discriminating suss, lived with Sid for a short while. He describes him as "really sharp" So there.

MEANWHILE BACK in a West London mews cottage....

Before we get started it might be worth saying that Sid has no intention whatsoever of playing in the Sex Pistols ever again. Indeed, he and Jerry Nolan and Johnny Thunders (The Heartbreakers apparently having split up – see Thrills) are seriously considering forming a band together.

If Sid'n'Nancy do not go to New York to live, as is currently under consideration, they will no doubt continue to live in their mews cottage, and it's worth mentioning – just so everything is out in the open, as it were – that although the seven-year lease on the cottage was bought with Sid's money it is held not in his name but in that of Sophie Richmond, Malcolm McLaren's secretary. This was because they knew they'd never get anywhere in their own family name of Vicious, and no doubt the affair was carried out with all due probity.

Sid is still a little miffed that the Pistols were never on a higher wage than £60 a week, and although he and the others would be bought whatever they wanted in the way of stereos, colour TVs and the like, Sid says they'd rather have the money in their hands to go and buy it for themselves.

He's also a little miffed that he hasn't yet seen any royalty statements, but these things do always take time, of course.

Besides, the McLaren anarchic spirit would no doubt ensure that everything was handled with all due forthrightness, and Sid does say that Malcolm's really helping him out at the moment.

OKAY: ROLL IT!

Reporter: "Sid, perhaps you could expand on what was written in last week's Thrills where it was said that you and Malcolm both decided you'd had enough of the band on a car ride out to San Francisco airport. Perhaps you could say exactly what it was that decided you on that."

Sid: (pause) "What was the question again? I'm sorry. I'm really tired."

Nancy: "Sid! WAKE UP, willya. You gave the guy an interview AND NOW YOU'RE ****ING SLEEPING!"

Sid: "You know, I said to you 'If this American tour doesn't work out...' I decided that..." (Sid takes a small nap).

Nancy (elbowing Sid in the ribs): "He told me that if John didn't straighten out on this American tour then he was going to quit." (A further elbowing in the ribs). "NOW GO ON!!!"

Sid opens his mouth into the shape of assorted words several times.

Nancy: "We can't understand a word you're saying, Sid. Take some of that cough syrup." (To me) "He's got a really bad throat. He's been very sick."
Sid musters his energies (almost pleadingly): "Well, do you know what I mean? Well you tell him."

© Chris Salewicz, 1978

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2006, 2010, groupies, november, october, rock