How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise / Celebrity Singers/Musicians
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

26-10-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

The 1% conservative in me is conservative about groupies... I just think there are better ways to show your love for someone than following them on tour and being their sex toys.

I would rather be a rockstar wife than a groupie, even if the rocker was cheating on me... in the divorce, the wives always get the houses and cars and money

Last edited by KhaoticKharma; 26-10-2006 at 07:46 PM.

26-10-2006
trendsetter

Stable & Lori

StableStarr and Lori with members of Robert & John

Lori and Stable

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=964 84987

27-10-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahgrace
StableStarr and Lori with members of Robert & John
I forgot to mention, Morgana Welch in the center.
Her myspace: http://www.myspace.com/hollywood_diaries

Last edited by MulletProof; 27-10-2006 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Do not quote images, please. See TFS Guidelines.

27-10-2006
V.I.P.

Ah, such a nice nostalgic thread to the '60s and '70s world of rock , I doubt it would've been the same without the groupies.

Esp thanks to you dinahgrace, for that article about Lori Maddox. That was new for me.

27-10-2006
V.I.P.

Keep it going Dinah Grace

27-10-2006
rising star

Miss Pamela des Barres! She was also a member of the GTOs. I highly recommend her book I'm With the Band: Confessions of a Groupie; it will change the way you think about groupies (at least, the ones from the past). Kate Hudson's character in the film Almost Famous was partially based on her. Miss Pamela is a wonderful writer and a charming person. She's been with Mick Jagger, Jimmy Page, Keith Moon, and a bunch of others great rockstars.

My favorite Miss Pamela quote (and probably one of my favorite quotes in general): "People of the world: they all do the same things, only in different ways."

Picture source: Wikipedia

Last edited by maybe_tonight; 27-10-2006 at 11:35 AM.

27-10-2006
rising star

Pamela Des Barres
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pamela Des Barres aka Miss Pamela (born Pamela Ann Miller on September 9, 1948) is a former rock and roll groupie, author, and magazine writer.

Des Barres was born in Reseda, California. Her mother was a housewife and her father worked for Anheuser-Busch and occasionally worked as a gold miner. She idolized the Beatles and Elvis Presley as a child, and fantasized about meeting and dating her favorite Beatle, Paul McCartney.

A high school acquaintaince introduced Des Barres to Don Van Vliet, better known as Captain Beefheart, a musician and friend of Frank Zappa. Vliet in turn introduced her to Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones, which drew her to the rock music scene on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles. She started to spend her time with The Byrds and other bands, and when she graduated from high school in 1966, she took various jobs that would allow her to live near the Sunset Strip and pursue relationships with rock musicians. She famously paired up with Nick St. Nicholas, Mick Jagger, Keith Moon, Jim Morrison, Jimmy Page, Chris Hillman, Noel Redding, Jimi Hendrix, Ray Davies, Frank Zappa and actor Don Johnson.

She was also a member of The GTOs, an all-girl singing group formed by Zappa. The group started out as the Laurel Canyon Ballet Company, and began performing as an opening act for Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. The group's act was performance art, a mix of music and spoken word, since none of its members could sing or play an instrument. They released an album, Permanent Damage in 1969, backed by Zappa and Jeff Beck. The group dissolved a month after the album's release because some of its members were arrested for drug possession.

In the 1970's Des Barres decided to pursue a career as an actress, and acted in a few movies, including Zappa's 200 Motels, commercials, and a year acting on the soap opera Search For Tomorrow in 1974. After a downturn in her acting career she went to work as a nanny for Zappa's children, Dweezil and Moon Unit.

She married Michael Des Barres, lead singer for Power Station and Silverhead, on October 29, 1977. They have a son, Nicholas Dean Des Barres, born on September 30, 1978. The couple divorced in the summer of 1991, due to Michael Des Barres' alleged infidelities.
Des Barres wrote two books about her experience as a groupie, I'm With The Band (1987) and Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up (1993), as well as another non-fiction book, Rock Bottom: Dark Moments in Music Babylon. She currently writes articles for online and print publications.

27-10-2006
V.I.P.

maybe tonight: thanks for the recomendation, i actually just ordered the book! i can't wait till i'm getting it!

this thing about rockstars and groupies has always fascinated me, or well, everything about the rockstar life in the '60s and '70s.

27-10-2006
trendsetter

Hey guys! Thanks for all the groupie article. Pamela and Lori are my favorite groupies! I'm really really jealous of those two.

Ivypixie, remember me?

I'm with the Band is a great great book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And a lot of Jimmy Page stuff! I've heard so many good comments of people about that book. I'm dying to read it. I'm looking for it everywhere, but they dont have it in my country. Sucks right?

I also recommend Rebel Heart by Bebe Buell (mother of Liv Tyler)

27-10-2006
trendsetter

Bebe Buell

Bebe Buell
(born Beverle Lorence Buell on July 14, 1953, in Portsmouth, Virginia) is an American model and singer, but is also well known for dating and marrying a long series of rock musicians. Her mother, Dorothea, sent her pictures to the Ford modeling agency, and received notice that the agency was interested after only three days. She began modeling professionally at the age of 17, and moved to New York City. There she met and dated rock star Todd Rundgren for several years.
She was Playboy magazine's Playmate of the Month for the November 1974 issue; her centerfold was photographed by Richard Fegley. She was one of the first top-line fashion models to pose for the men's magazine, although it cost her the contract with Ford. She was promptly signed to Wilhelmina in the USA and Models One in the UK. Even after the Playboy issue affected her career in the States she was still in demand in Europe appearing in British and French Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, and Cosmopolitan to name a few.
During and after her open relationship with Rundgren, she also became intimate with many other famous musicians, including Mick Jagger, Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Jimmy Page, and Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. She is the mother, with Tyler, of actress Liv Tyler, born July 1977. Buell allowed Liv to believe that Rundgren was her father until the late 80s, as Tyler was still deeply addicted to drugs at the time. Buell then moved on to Rod Stewart and Stiv Bators, and in 1978, she began a tempestuous affair with the married but separated Elvis Costello which continued on and off until 1984.
In 1981, Buell recorded a four song EP on Rhino Records, produced by Rick Derringer and Ric Ocasek, with The Cars serving as her band on two tracks. The rock band Power Station began in 1984 when then-boyfriend John Taylor (of Duran Duran fame) pulled some famous friends together to provide backing for another of Buell's musical efforts. She also formed the band The B-Sides in 1980 but they disbanded in 1985.
She founded another band called the Gargoyles in 1985, and released a couple of singles. A few large record companies were showing interest, but Buell withdrew from the public eye when the paternity of her daughter Liv became known. For six years in the 1990s, Buell managed her daughter Liv, helping to launch her career as a model and actress.
Buell married musician and sometime actor Coyote Shivers in 1992[1], but they divorced in 1999. Liv left home in 1997, and her mother returned to music to record a solo effort with producer Don Fleming in 2000.
In 2001, she wrote an autobiography (with Victor Bockris) entitled Rebel Heart: An American Rock and Roll Journey. It hit the New York Times Bestseller list and the paperback was then issued in 2002. She is currently working on a second book and another record.
Buell married musician Jim Wallerstein (of Das Damen and Vacationland fame) in 2002, and returned to modeling in 2003 signing with the IMG Agency in New York City. She also performs around New York with the Bebe Buell Band, featuring David Matos on guitar and vocals, Tommy USA on bass guitar, and Gregg Carey or Bobbie Rae on drums. Recently she teamed up with Boston musicians The Rudds and The Neighborhood's Johnny Lynch to form a new band which also includes husband Jim Wallerstein of Twin Engines. The summer of 2006 marked a return to the stage with shows in both New York and Boston with a tour to follow.
Cameron Crowe has said he based his Penny Lane character in the 2000 movie Almost Famous on two women he met during the early 70s — Bebe Buell and Pennie Trumble aka "Penny Lane". He speaks highly of both Buell and Trumble in the extended DVD of the movie and even said that he took some of Penny's direct dialogue from statements Buell had made in various interviews over the years. Kate Hudson was nominated for an Oscar for the role.

Editorial Reviews:

From Library Journal
When rock took its first giant steps in the mid-1960s, there was Pamela Des Barres (I'm with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie. o.p.); when it blew its wad in the late 1970s, there was Bebe Buell, ex-Ford model and Playboy centerfold. The former proudly calls herself a groupie, the latter insists on muse. Buell's garrulous account/defense of her rock'n'roll lifestyle, which produced actress Liv Tyler (her illegitimate daughter by Aerosmith singer Steven Tyler), lacks a sense of humor; looking back on that much excess has to be somewhat funny. Charges of pretentiousness are beside the point, though. One must judge a memoir of this type by its juiciness, and this rates an eight. Todd Rundgren, Mick Jagger, Jerry Hall, Iggy Pop, Debbie Harry, David Bowie, and Jimmy Page aside, Buell dishes on the great unrequited love of her life, Elvis Costello, who was married to his first wife when Buell conceived a child (she later aborted it and regrets it to this day). Writes Buell, "I can very proudly say that when I was involved with Elvis, he made some of the greatest records of his career." Recommended for celebrity sickos, 1970s rock fans, and larger public library music collections. Heather McCormack, "Library Journal"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bebe_Buell

another article: http://www.answers.com/topic/bebe-buell

28-10-2006
rising star

Ivypixie, let me know what you think when you finish it! There's lots of stuff about the Stones, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Frank Zappa, Jim Morrison, Led Zep, and Pamela also talks about how show got to meet all four Beatles.

Dinahgrace, I've been wanting to read Rebel Heart! I haven't found it in any bookstores near me, but I think I'm going to order it on Amazon today! That really sucks that they don't have I'm With the Band available in your country; is there a way you can order it online? There's LOTS of great stuff about Jimmy in there, you'd love it! Thanks for the rec and for starting this great thread!

28-10-2006
rising star

Rodney Bingenheimer
He's not a groupie in the sense that he didn't sleep with any band members, but Rodney Bingenheimer has been described as a groupie in that he hung out with a lot of rockstars and bands -- Robert Plant said that Rodney got more girls than Jimmy Page, Elvis gave him his driver's permit, he was the one to show David Bowie around L.A. (before his Ziggy Stardust era). The documentary The Mayor of the Sunset Strip is great if you want to learn more about the bands and the youth culture in Los Angeles in the '60s and '70s; there's some fantastic interviews by Miss Pamela, David Bowie, Cher, and many others in it. My only qualm about the documentary is that I think the film maker put a negative slant on Rodney in the film -- he tried to make seem like Rodney was pathetic for enjoying hanging out with rockstars and that because of this Rodney has not lived a fulfilling life.

Rodney Bingenheimer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rodney Bingenheimer, born December 15, 1946 in Mountain View, California, is a radio disc jockey on a well-known Los Angeles rock station, KROQ. He has been a fixture in rock and roll circles since the mid-1960s, when he was a double for Davy Jones on the tv series "The Monkees".
Bingenheimer is one of the very few DJs on commercial radio in Los Angeles who has autonomy over what he plays. As a result, he has been the first to play many up-and-coming bands, including The Runaways, Blondie, The Ramones, Van Halen, Duran Duran, Oasis, The Donnas, No Doubt, Coldplay, Dramarama and others. Many bands, such as Agent Orange meekly knocked on the parking lot door of KROQ's old studio in Pasadena and handed Rodney a copy of their music. If he found a track he liked such as Agent Orange's 1979 hit "Bloodstains" , he would play that song within the hour. Although his show has now been relegated to a midnight to 3 a.m. slot on Sunday evenings, it still has a fair amount of power to make or break new artists in some genres.
Bingenheimer was also responsible for three Rodney on the ROQ compilation albums on Posh Boy Records.

History

In the early 1970s he owned a nightclub called Rodney Bingenheimer's English Disco, located on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles, near to his various Curson Street apartments of the past 30 years. It was a favorite hangout of many rock stars and essentially introduced much of Los Angeles to glam rock. When the club closed in 1976, there was thought that Bingenheimer was so disenchanted with the stylized dance genre that he abrubtly abandoned his 'English Disco', so as not to be associated with the popular movement. The real reason was less provocative as Bingenheimer later clarified: "English Disco didn't close down because of the oncoming "disco" movement...it really closed down because of a disagreement among the owners."
Due to his down and deep connections within the burgeoning Hollywood music scene, Bingenheimer was given a show on then minor Pasadena FM and AM radio station KROQ, called Rodney on the Roq, which began in 1976 and continues to the present day, albeit with some changes in time slots.

Cultural appearances
- He is the subject of the film Mayor of the Sunset Strip directed by George Hickenlooper and produced by Chris Carter.
- Californian punk rock band Angry Samoans wrote a song about Rodney called "Get Off the Air" [1].
- His name is referenced in the song "Come Back Down" by Nerf Herder.
- There is a song about Rodney on the album Permanent Damage by the girl group The GTOs.
- NOFX references his show in the song "13 Stitches" off of the album "War on Errorism."
- Bingenheimer has a booth named for him at Canter's deli in Los Angeles.
- After years of grassroots support, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce decided to acknowledge his contribution to music and radio with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame which will be presented in 2007 [2].
- As a token of their appreciation for his promotion of the band, the members of Blondie served as Bingenheimer's backing band in a limited release single of "Little G.T.O." credited with being performed by "Rodney and The Brunettes."

External linksRetrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Bingenheimer"

Rodney (left) with Elvis

Photo from Rockcritics.com

Last edited by maybe_tonight; 28-10-2006 at 12:11 PM.

28-10-2006
rising star

Image from Amazon.com

Through the glitter and the grunge, from The Monkees to Coldplay, Rodney Bingenheimer--a.k.a. Rodney on the ROQ--has reigned over the Los Angeles music scene for over two decades. A constantly evolving fixture as rock fan, journalist, promoter, club owner and radio DJ on KROQ, Bingenheimer has helped advance every adventurous rock mutation--California pop, glam, punk, goth, new wave, alternative--since he first hit the Sunset Strip during its psychedelic 1960s heyday.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230512/

Rodney Bingenheimer has been a fixture in the Los Angeles music scene for more than two decades, evolving from rock fan to journalist, promoter, club owner and, finally, radio DJ on KROQ. Developing symbiotic relationships with hundreds of rock stars, Bingenheimer has helped advance music careers and fads in Hollywood since the 1960s. George Hickenlooper's documentary takes a close look at the life and career of this enigmatic scene-maker.
http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?...1951495249_0_0

Rodney (left) with Jimi Hendrix

Rodney (middle) with John and Yoko

Above two photos from mayorofthesunsetstrip.com

28-10-2006
trendsetter

Maybe Tonight: I'm so glad for this thread, and the people posting all those interesting infos. I really want to read those books, specially the part of Jimmy Page, I love him! But you know what? My classmate, Michelle said that she'll ask her sister, whose in the US and is gonna come back here sometime in December, to buy me the book. I hope she finds it though. Oh, and another thing that sucks is, they also dont have Rebel Heart. Ahh! They dont have anything!

But I've seen Mayor on the Sunset Strip somewhere, so i'll buy it next time I see it! The Sunset Strip is "the place of rock 'n' roll" back in the 70's, rockstars and groupies hang out there.

Check out www.hollywooddiaries.com
Its the diary of Morgana Welch, a 70's groupie, and she tells all the happenings, and crazy times she had! It's fun to read!

Last edited by dinahgrace; 28-10-2006 at 07:23 PM.

28-10-2006
trendsetter

Morgana Welch
Meet Morgana Welch

Back when Led Zep and Mott the Hoople ruled the earth, Morgana Welch attended Beverly Hills High by day and prowled the Rainbow, Whisky and Riot House on the Sunset Strip by night. Her mother, she told me in LAUREL CANYON, “was horrified. I would leave and not come home for days. And then come back and get grounded and then sneak out and go back to the Strip. There was just no stopping me.”
Morgana and her friends got their first whiff of the rock and roll pheromone at the Teenage Fair, an annual battle of the bands held in the Hollywood Palladium’s parking lot where 90 or more groups would play over the course of a week, including the nascent Captain Beefheart and Three Dog Night.
“That was the place our appetites got whetted,” Morgana said. “It was a place where young girls could get their look at rock stars and rock stars could get their look at young girls. That was my initiation into the potential for being a groupie, that it was a viable path.”
These days Morgana is a successful web consultant living in Arizona.

Morgana's memoirs are featured in many parts of this fine book:

http://www.laurelcanyonthebook.com

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2006, 2010, groupies, november, october, rock