How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise / Celebrity Singers/Musicians
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

27-11-2006
trendsetter

Attention Everyone:
I"M WITH THE BAND IS GONNA BE A MOVIE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"After a long, storied history, Pamela Des Barres' 1987 memoir, I'm With the Band -- the colorful, definitive account of the L.A. rock world of the '60s and '70s from a young girl's, um, intimate perspective -- is on its way to the screen. Des Barres is co-writing the screenplay, with Allison Anders (Grace of the Heart) set to direct for the Starz! cable channel. 'It's all about a groupie girl growing up in the Valley and heading over the hills to Oz, to meet all the rock stars,' Des Barres says. Where Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous (a similar story, from the view of a male teenage tyro journalist) fictionalized Crowe's real-life experience, Des Barres' book names names, unflinchingly detailing her relationships (sexual and otherwise) with rockers including Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger, Keith Moon, Gram Parsons and Frank Zappa, as well as her experience as a member of the Zappa-produced groupies group the GTO's (Girls Together Outrageously). 'What I love about Starz! is they have the guts to do that,' Des Barres says. 'In earlier treatments that have been done for the book, names have been changed. But they're public figures--or unfortunately in rock 'n' roll heaven. No one has sued me about the book. It's all the truth.' The book has been the subject of several previous attempts to put it on film. Ally Sheedy once optioned the rights with the intention of playing Des Barres, and later Drew Barrymore and Christina Applegate each explored the role. But it wasn't until Des Barres started working on a screenplay with high school friend Iva Turner that the project really got moving, as Anders signed on and Starz! came on board. Anders thinks the time is right for the story. 'When the book came out, I remember everyone focused on the groupie aspect of it,' Anders says. 'It's funny that to me now it actually seems far more innocent. The more Pamela and I talk,' Anders adds, 'I don't really see it as a groupie story, but a fan's story and the story of the GTO's. That's what really draws me to it.' Casting will begin once the script is finished, although Des Barres is eyeing at least a cameo for herself. 'Iva and I both want to dance in the love-in sequence,' she says."

http://www.swinginchicks.com/pamela_desbarres.htm

Thank you Pamella! I'm now your biggest fan!!!

27-11-2006
V.I.P.

^Interesting.

I'm almost done with the book, and I have to say: Pamela, such a sweet girl, no wonder why so many rockers wanted her! She also seemed so sympatic, before I started reading the book, I thought she would be kind of a bitchy girl or something. But she doesn't seem like that all, she's adorable!

And Jimmy was such an *******, but a hot one. If I was a girl that time in California, I'd take him anyday anyway.

Last edited by ivypixie; 27-11-2006 at 12:03 PM.

27-11-2006
rising star

That's great, I can't wait to see it! I'm really glad that Pamela will be co-writing the screenplay and that they won't be changing any of the names. I wonder who will play Miss Pamela? Kate Hudson did a good job in Almost Famous, but I can't see her doing such a similiar role. Actually it will probably someone not well known as it will be on Starz. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this; thanks for the heads-up dinahgrace!

27-11-2006
V.I.P.

^I was thinking about it while I read the book, and there's a norwegian actress who looks so alike Pamela when she was young. She's not the best actress I've seen at all (I've only seen her in one movie, though), but she's so cute and looks so much alike, as I said. Her name is Victoria Winge, and has also been a model and on the cover of Vogue etc, if that brings up anything to mind:

Source: kjendis.no

It may not be the best pic to show, but it was so hard to find any good ones to show how they look so alike.

Last edited by ivypixie; 27-11-2006 at 01:15 PM.

27-11-2006
rising star

Wow, she really does look like Pamela! She might be a good choice; you have a good eye, ivypixie!

28-11-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
And Jimmy was such an *******, but a hot one. If I was a girl that time in California, I'd take him anyday anyway.
Man I want to read that freakin book.

I just can't wait for the movie. I'm wondering who's gonna play Jimmy, Mick Jagger, Micheal des Barres, or any famous rockstar she's been with.

And yes, Victoria Winge does look like Pamela, and she's very pretty too. But whoever's gonna play her part must have the same spirit & personality like Pamela, and she's not bitchy at all. I saw than interview of her

here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaQmOmM7R68

and she has a new book.

28-11-2006
V.I.P.

^Yeah, I know now she's not bitchy at all (it's just that before I read the book, I thought like typical groupies would be spoiled brats-kind of girls, which well, I'm sure there's some of the groupies who was, but not Pam!)! She seems so kind and sweet, she's a doll! More like what I connect to a band-aid than to a groupie, but is the word band-aid from Almost Famous, were the word first used there? Because then it's not weird, as Penny Lane was based on her. And now when I've read more, what I can say is: Bebe and Lori, f*ck off!
You should really read the book, dinahgrace!

I wonder too who will play all those famous rockstars she was with, it'll be interesting to see.

Last edited by tangerine; 28-11-2006 at 02:39 PM.

29-11-2006
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivypixie

I wonder too who will play all those famous rockstars she was with, it'll be interesting to see.
Or as so often - embarrassing

29-11-2006
V.I.P.

^Yeah, you put it right! :p

And btw, can anyone post more pics of Miss Pamela, I can hardly find any good pics on the net!

Last edited by ivypixie; 29-11-2006 at 05:48 AM.

01-12-2006
trendsetter

scans from 1974 February issue of Playboy:

04-12-2006
earthbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy
omg you started a thread on me!!

More pictures of Pam!

Sources: myspace.com, electricgypsy.com

04-12-2006
V.I.P.

^^Thanks both of you

Who would thought reading a groupies confessions would help in an english pre-exam? I had that today, and one of the assigments was to write an essay where I was supposed to compare two books to each other, books from the english-speaking world, and last week I talked about that I'm with tha band reminded me about Francesca Lia Blocks wonderful teen-book to my bestfriend (we love Francesca books), so today I wrote an essay about that.

04-12-2006
backstage pass

Michael Des Barres and Pamela Des Barres with their son Nick at the LA premiere of Screen Gems' Resident Evil in 2002
(www.us.movies1.yimg.com)

(www.bbc.co.uk)

following pictures from electricgypsy.com:
[img]
http://www.electricgypsy.com/pamela/assets/school.jpg[/img]
Pamela in Art Class at 16

GTO's and Flying Burrito Brothers

Pamela and Michael

Last edited by monkey siesta; 04-12-2006 at 01:14 PM.

04-12-2006
rising star

Whoa, her son is pretty hot!

Thanks for all the great pictures, guys!

04-12-2006
backstage pass

and another one:

electricgypsy.com

apparently she has written some other books, one of them being this one:

amazon.com

and Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up
and in the epilogue of I'm With the Band she says she's writing on a fourth one called Let's Spend the Night Together: Backstage Secrets of Rock Muses and Supergroupies.

has anyone read one of those yet? I just finished the first one and I'm still quite hooked

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2006, 2010, groupies, november, october, rock