How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / the Art of Noise / Celebrity Singers/Musicians
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

04-12-2006
rising star

I've only read her first book as well, but I'm planning on reading her others when I get the chance. I like her writing style; it would be cool to take one of her writing workshop classes. On this website, it says:

With the recent reissue of"Iím with the Band" out this fall we are experiencing some charmed engagements for Miss Pamela. As the "spokeschick" for the most sexually liberated generation of females in history, Pamela Des Barres exemplifies the exuberance of the 1960s hippie subculture, plus an unexpected soupcon of old-fashioned 1950s Mama-Knows-Best wisdom."Iím with the Band" has been republished to glowing reviews, after eight years out of print. With itís blessed re-birth, a whole new generation of readers will be treated to The World According To Miss Pamela. She brings an endlessly optimistic viewpoint, filled with music, friendship and a whole lotta sex. "Iím With The Band" is Pamela Des Barresí joyful declaration of her love of life and life of love. The prolific Miss Pamela followed with two more books: "Take Another Little Piece of My Heart," and "Rock Bottom." She is about to release - 'Let's Spend the Night Together.'

Current tour dates:
  • Wednesday, March 14- Saturday March 17, 2007 SXSW Austin TX
  • Saturday, March 17, 2007 Big Red Sun Austin TX MC/ RajiWorld + 1

04-12-2006
V.I.P.

are there any modern famous groupies?do they even exist now....?

06-12-2006
rising star

There aren't any famous modern groupies (that I'm aware of) and I think that this has to do with the fact that the word "groupie" has become stigmatized. In Miss Pamela's books and interviews, she talks about how being a groupie wasn't a derogatory label when she was growing up; being a groupie didn't strictly mean that you slept with band members but you hung around with them a lot (e.g. Rodney Bingenheimer).

As Monkey Siesta mentioned in her post, Pamela is writing a fourth book about Rock Muses and Supergroupies. In the epilogue of the most recent edition of I'm With the Band, she says that she "plans to redeem and uplift the horribly misunderstood word groupie" in the new book.

For me personally, another reason why there aren't any infamous contemporary groupies is because there's no one worth being a groupie for (just in my opinion!). But if I lived back in the '60s and '70s, you can bet I would have been one of those girls knocking down Mick Jagger's (and Keef's and David Bowie's and Iggy Pop's and Lou Reed's et al.) door.

06-12-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe_tonight
For me personally, another reason why there aren't any infamous contemporary groupies is because there's no one worth being a groupie for (just in my opinion!). But if I lived back in the '60s and '70s, you can bet I would have been one of those girls knocking down Mick Jagger's (and Keef's and David Bowie's and Iggy Pop's and Lou Reed's et al.) door.
exactly. I also think the particular spirit of those times isn't there anymore due to the fact that the sexual liberation and all has taken place, and rock'n' roll isn't as 'fresh' and and 'newborn' as it was during that period of time.
must have been a pretty cool era to grow up in, I feel kind of sad that I was born hopelessly late...

here's a video of Pamela at KLBJ-FM, I hope I'll manage to make it work...

[youtube]qaQmOmM7R68[/youtube]

06-12-2006
backstage pass

pictures taken from electricgypsy.com

Pamela and Randee St. Nicholas

Young Pamela's Bedroom Wall

GTO's in front of Whiskey

The day Pamela and Michael met

Pamela and Dave Navarro

07-12-2006
trendsetter

Thank you monkey siesta!!!!!!!!

Great pics!!! I love the GTO's, all wild, crazy & fun times!!! Has anybody got their album? Permanent Damage?

07-12-2006
V.I.P.

i iwsh i lived back in the day too...oh those were the times
the only band i can think of that is so good i'd become their groupie is strokes,but then they're all married now or have gfs...there really isnt a single great ,i mea great band now

07-12-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahgrace

Great pics!!! I love the GTO's, all wild, crazy & fun times!!! Has anybody got their album? Permanent Damage?

you're very welcome and no I don't have their album although I'd love to listen to it. I just looked for it on amazon.com and apparently they're not selling it anymore, you'd have to buy the "second-hand version" and even then prices are up to 84 Ä...given the fact that I happen to be a poor student I think I'll have to make do without it somehow.

07-12-2006
V.I.P.

^Too bad. It would be funny to hear what kind of music it was, though I'm not so sure it would be somehing for my taste.

07-12-2006
V.I.P.

damn,i wat to be a groupie

09-12-2006
trendsetter

More scans of Bebe from 1974 Playboy:

09-12-2006
V.I.P.

what a beauty!

10-12-2006
tfs star

i watched almost famous the other week, what a film who doesn't love penny lane?

16-12-2006
trendsetter

I love it when she says "It's all happening"

16-12-2006
V.I.P.

is there any band you will consider going on tour with line penny lane did?
i'd go with strokes in some alternative universe where nick and jules not married/have kids,nd fab doesnt hve a girl.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2006, 2010, groupies, november, october, rock