How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise / Celebrity Singers/Musicians
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-07-2011
front row

Taylor Momsen - The Pretty Reckless
So as the discussion about her music/band is a bit inappropriate in the fashion section, I thought it'd be nice to have a thread where this stuff can be discussed without getting a warning because of off topic talk.

17-07-2011
V.I.P.

^ Thanks SO much!! Now we can talk about things other than her boots without getting in trouble!!

17-07-2011
backstage pass

I really enjoy The Pretty Reckless's music. I didn't think I'd like it but its really good and moody.

17-07-2011
V.I.P.

^ Yes, it's funny, a lot of people say it is surprisingly good, and yet it seems like the only media attention is focused on the wild child/inappropriate dress and behavior side of it; you never seem to see People magazine doing a spread on how good a show they put on, just about Taylor's lack of clothing. I mean Lady Gaga does some outrageous things, but they also always mention that she can blow the roof off the building when she performs!!....I wonder if the other guys wish she would keep it down so their music could get some attention...

Last edited by Boomer; 17-07-2011 at 07:17 PM.
18-07-2011
front row

Well, to be honest, at first I REALLY wanted to dislike her music, I tried really hard (haha, no, not at all), but almost all of her songs are so catchy, it's hard not get 'infected' by.

And yeah, I would also like to know what her band 'member' think of all the niiiice media attention, they get. Too bad they're not invited into some tv shows, it's always just Taylor. Maybe she's afraid of not getting enough attention, when there are other, more adult, people around, the show hosts could talk to, mhm.

Also it would be interesting to know what her parents REALLY think of her behavior, I mean, she's calling them "super supportive", but what does that really mean?
And yes, I am aware of the fact that they only tolerate her actions because of the money she makes, but what do they really think?

fashion elite

I don't like Lady Gaga, so why i should supposed to be love a girl, who shows her boobs on the stage to drunk idiots? I mean those people with they damn music are pathetic to attention and have nothing to show, except shocking mass. Call this a good example for children?

scenester

Quote:
you never seem to see People magazine doing a spread on how good a show they put on
Valid point, but Momsen isn't much of a performer. Disclaimer: I have never seen TPR live, so this assessment is coming from live videos. A video doesn't fully capture live music, especially live rock, but even accounting for that their act is weak. Whoever she's got on sound is completely incompetent and her voice (which is really their selling point) just gets drowned by the guitars. The band members are pros and their instruments are in tune, they can count, etc, but they're up there punching a clock. Momsen is stilted and uncomfortable on stage and has no idea how to work a crowd. There's a lot that you can knock Gaga for, but she is all about spectacle and plays her heart out every time.

IIRC, Taylor's 'shocking' behavior in the beginning was about giving obnoxious interviews, wearing panda makeup, and dressing like a hooker. Her stage antics - flashing, boob tape, grinding with underage girls - have been a fairly recent development. I think she's probably dissatisfied with what she gets from their crowds and is using all of this to try and juice up her live act, just as she used the lingerie to erase her wholesome Jenny image. And JMO, but she's traded on her scantily clad, underage body from the beginning of the TPR. If she wanted people to take her music seriously, she should put some clothes on, and I can't hate on People for giving her what she's asked for.

Strawberry, you and me both. I am so curious about what the band members really think. She's blah blahed about how she's bff with her band, and then called one of them by the wrong name in a recent video. Actually, she called him by the name of his long gone predecessor in the band. Ouch!

27-07-2011
fashion insider

I love their music

06-12-2011
V.I.P.

I love you make me wanna die , I noticed it from the Victoria's secret fashion show which I guess was a major coup for them , especially since it was the opening track!

18-02-2012
tfs star

Does anyone care any more?...

18-02-2012
V.I.P.

^ I kind of feel sorry for her...I wonder if this polished up surprise appearance at NYFW means anything- like maybe she is rethinking leaving her acting career behind? This band thing hasn't exactly caught fire, you know...?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
momsen, pretty, reckless, taylor