How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-08-2006
Fierce Flava

The Art of Gift Wrapping and Card Making
I love to find unique ways of wrapping presents and doing my own cards. People seem to appreciate the extra thought put into making the wrapping of the present look like them.

I try to make boxes people can keep, I've painted wooden and cardboard boxes that people now use for jewelry boxes and I do a origami "puzzle" box that people just seem to love to keep. I make really over the top personalized birthday cards for people and always have a stash of blank cards I've made ready to just write quick thank yous, instead of just saying it.

Do any of you custom gift wrap or make your own cards? I can't be the only one whose art is obsessive presentation, right?

I do a gift exchange thing with my friends who are here only for the summer so here's some of my current crafts.

Justin and I painted at Color Me Mine and painted almost a whole set of dishes, except for some sauce containers. I replicated his designs and its japanese style soy sauce containers, hence the origami fish and shells.

Not really leaving, but made soemthing for Jason. I made dog cookies for his dog and he thought it was cookies and loved it. So I baked him some and put it in a girly bag which I'll label with his dogs picture and put "Dogs Only". :p

Origami Puzzle box with a shell on top to hold a ring for Josh.

Fuschia Felt Rose. I made because I couldn't sleep last night. Maybe I'll use it in a future gift, but for now I enjoy it on my computer table.

No custom cards right now, but some left over summer blank cards...I'm running low and school is going to start so I'll definitely make some this week and have something more to show soon.

I just bought some amazing rice paper with gold painted patterns so I have some really good blank cards for fall.

23-08-2006
V.I.P.

I'm a gift wrapping nazi! I have a particular way of folding the corners, using certain lengths of sticky tape and making sure everything is perpendicular!
Gift presentation is as important as the gift itself! I like to use a variety of different papers, ribbons and trimmings together. One time, I used leftover dupion silk to wrap presents with velvet ribbons. Then there was the time I made marbled paper and then dyed my own raffia to go with the paper. OMG - glad to see there's someone as obsessed as me!

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
23-08-2006
mmmmmm...fashion....

^ second that- is it sad i've had a gift wrap cupboard since i was a kid?

23-08-2006
Fierce Flava

^ When it came to Christmas I went over to my aunts house to ask her if she wanted me to help her wrap presents.

So I got bored and had some left over paper so I made a triangle gift box out of 3 thick origami printed paper and 3 plain origami paper for a bottom.

I wish my camera didn't break. My cellphone cant capture the pretty texture of the paper.

24-08-2006
More Old Skool Than You

Quick tip!

Anger those that anger you by glueing the paper to the box!

NICE wrapping Seph!

Fierce Flava

^ More horrible is going happy on the tape. I've done that before...taped the box edges closed all the way then wrapped tape around and a around. Then wrapped it beautifully. It was fun watching him go ballistic for a knife. Not quite sure if the knife was to open me or the present though.

24-08-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

How awesome! Previously, I've never put much thought into the wrapping and presenation... but it's an excellent way to squeeze in that extra bit of personalization...

25-08-2006
V.I.P.

Gorgeous stuff sephora! I love gift wrapping too but nothing as beautiful as yours. Those must have taken some time! In Japan, almost everything you buy comes beautifully wrapped in pretty paper. So inspiring.

25-08-2006
V.I.P.

^That's so true, Bluestar I have friends there and I even told them one time they didn't have to wrap something they gave me, and they said that actually it was a regular shopping bag!

I'm too finicky not to custom wrap/present the gift myself
Lately I use coloured fabrics to wrap in... something a little more reusable (reduce, reuse,recycle )

25-08-2006
Fat Karl

I make homemade envelopes out of magazine pages! They look so great! I do ones from fashion mags (ads work best....especially Dolce & Gabbana's and Fendi's) and home and garden ones from decorating magazines.

25-08-2006
Fierce Flava

^ Hey! That's a really cool idea...I never thought about that. Goes well with Gius idea of reduce,reuse,recycle. Must try it sometime

25-08-2006
Power to the 99%

^ Yes, I am similarly obsessed :p I make a lot of my own cards (cool paper shop here offers classes), and I have an entire (large) chest of drawers dedicated to wrapping materials ... and I still have overflow Very often the day after Christmas I am out shopping like the rest of the world ... but for wrapping materials, gift cards, bows, ribbon, gift tags, novelty tissue, etc. One of the few things I make a point of shopping for on sale ...

I like to do theme gifts, and very often the wrapping must follow the theme ... :p I could go home and wrap probably a couple hundred presents right now, no problem, and each one different

25-08-2006
seagreen serenades

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
Very often the day after Christmas I am out shopping like the rest of the world ... but for wrapping materials, gift cards, bows, ribbon, gift tags, novelty tissue, etc. One of the few things I make a point of shopping for on sale ...

I like to do theme gifts, and very often the wrapping must follow the theme ... :p
Oh, you sound just like me!

I like using magazine ads etc too. I could wrap things all day and night. I make a point of buying presents with several parts just so i can wrap them all separately and tie them together with ribbon. curling ribbons... what fun.

26-08-2006
V.I.P.

Great thread Sephora! I tried to give you karma...but I must "spread" some around first. :p But here is some "virtual" karma! This is such a great thread.

27-08-2006
Fierce Flava

Fourboltmain gave me the idea of potato carved stamps and they work wonderfully! Tried them this weekend by carving with a little knife, then worked the details smooth with a metal stick. I thought it worked great and like Brian said, tons of custom stamps at 2 dollars for a big sack, why not?

http://www.ehow.com/how_1305_make-greeting-cards.html

Also, I found this link to be useful with some new good ideas.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/pa_inv..._14157,00.html

I love the idea of the Tuxedo wrap! A guy friends's birthday is coming up so I know I'll be doing that idea. Also the waxed paper flowers idea will be a project of mine this coming week. I want to see if its better than my usual flower paper method using paper pulp.

Last edited by Sephora_Socialite; 27-08-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, card, gift, making, wrapping