How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-03-2009
V.I.P.

Rumi (the blogger behind fashiontoast) did a diy version of these balmain shoes with zara shoes. here's how she said she made them:

"I used the 1/4" pyramid studs from studsandspikes - the backs of the studs have two prongs that you push through the leather and then clamp down on the other side. No glue involved. We did it by hand so it was kind of time consuming, but worth it."

pic credit: fashiontoast and style.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bal1.jpg (27.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg bal2.jpg (198.8 KB, 51 views)

29-03-2009
fashion insider

Where can I find amazing shoulder pads like that?

30-03-2009
V.I.P.

i found photos and instructions for making a DIY version of balmains studded label blazer from maisondesreveries.com. the first picture is the original. it cost $4200.

"What you'll need if you would like a studded lapel blazer of your own.

Simple boyfriend blazer. Mine is from H&M. This is not the time to break out the big guns because you are poking irreparable holes into this fabric.

Pyramid studs. I used 1/2" ones. You will need 200+ AT LEAST depending on the width of your lapel.

A pair of jewelry pliers to bend the backs of the studs. PLEASE don't try to do it with your fingers because you will be bleedin' all over your beautiful masterpiece by the end.

Keep studding along in rows and follow the width of the lapel to determine how many studs you can fit on that row. Try to keep them as close to one another as possible.

The difficult thing is to keep the studs straight. I found one trick that helps is to look at the back of the lapel and make sure all of the metal prongs are creating one straight line like so in the picture.

In case you were wondering, I started off at the middle of one lapel, went all the way down, and then went all the way around the neck towards the other side. Why I did this who knows but it ended up working great and both sides ended up being even.

I bought the studs here:
http://studsandspikes.com/"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stud1.jpg (33.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg stud2.jpg (74.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg stud3.jpg (43.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg stud4.jpg (47.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg stud5.jpg (39.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg stud6.jpg (52.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg stud7.jpg (51.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg stud8.jpg (45.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg stud9.jpg (48.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg stud10.jpg (34.2 KB, 15 views)

front row

I'd love to stud a jacket like that, but how long would it take and is it really tough to push the studs through?? do you need a gun thing to do it?

I thought someone might also appreciate this http://www.stylescrapbook.com/2009/01/diy-balmain.html

30-03-2009
front row

I'm really keen to diy a shirt like this - do you think it would be easiest to buy the lace and take it to a tailor? I think the most difficult would be again, to source the shoulder pads - especially if I try to do it in a crazy coloured lace..

source netaporter.com

30-03-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australienne View Post
I'd love to stud a jacket like that, but how long would it take and is it really tough to push the studs through?? do you need a gun thing to do it?

it seems that the woman that did the lapel blazer did it by hand.

you can buy a gun called a bedazzler VERY cheap on ebay. its an infomercial product that a lot of americans got sucked into buying back in the day and want to get rid of now. you can probably buy the bedazzler and lots of jewels and studs for around ten bucks + shipping.

V.I.P.

i imagine that something like this might be easy to do with a studding gun. it might be tricky to allign properly.

i think H&M is selling a zipper skirt similar to this now...
but how would one sit down while wearing it?

image source: LuisaViaRoma
Attached Images
File Type: jpg balmain1.jpg (143.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg balmain2.jpg (60.6 KB, 18 views)

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australienne View Post
I'm really keen to diy a shirt like this - do you think it would be easiest to buy the lace and take it to a tailor? I think the most difficult would be again, to source the shoulder pads - especially if I try to do it in a crazy coloured lace..

Please do not quote images

source netaporter.com

it would take not even an hour to make this lace top. but the shoulder pads are the most important detail, they d most likely have to be custom
made

Last edited by lucy92; 30-03-2009 at 09:00 AM.
30-03-2009
V.I.P.

that silver pattern u like, it s usually store bought and u just stitch it to the item u want it to be on

30-03-2009
front row

I always curious about the Balmain's shoulder pads. my friend told me that maybe we should add bra pads to the shoulder pads to create the exact curvy Balmain-ish pads

Meg
inspired contemplation

Sorry - I thought you were talking about the skirt with studs. That looks like embroidery or some sort of embroidered ribbon thing to me. Since this is about blazers, I'll merge it into the other Balmain DIY thread.

eta:
That studded blazer is great. Just goes to show what some time and ingenuity can reap. And yes, the shoulder pads are going to be difficult but since a lot of shoulder pads (or the older ones at least) are made out of foam, you could carve out the shape you wanted with relative ease I would think, as long as you had a sharp knife.

Last edited by Meg; 30-03-2009 at 12:46 PM.
31-03-2009
backstage pass

I'm shamelessly enjoying this thread!
Am thinking about doing the jeans

Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

wow! great ideas!!

the one I'm talking about are these from spring09 and fall 09 (pretty identical no)

if I wanted something more challenging I would try to do this one from the spring,

pics from style.com

I just talked to my tailor and she told me she wouldnt know how to do a blazer from scratch, and the thing is I don't have all my clothes with me as I'm visiting family, but I'll check to see if I find a black blazer, if not then maybe I'll go buy some cheap one and see.. the tailor also mentioned that the fabric better be a bit strechy as it would be easier....

hmm...I'll let you guys know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg balmainsp09.jpg (30.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg balmainF09_.jpg (17.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg balmain stud.jpg (33.4 KB, 15 views)

V.I.P.

about the padded shoulders

you might want to check out this book
couture sewing techniques

amazon.com

they teach you how to make padding yourself.. i think they use cotton
and they also teach how to create an extra piece ("sleeve head") for perfecting the shape

31-03-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

^
great recommendation. Now I'm so curious - I'm not going to be back home for another month or so, I'm definitely going to talk to my old seamstress there. there is a show around the corner from where i live here that might be able to do it as well. They do tailoring but also stuff from scratch. They advertise that they can make you anything (jeans, blazers, etc) and when I stopped in before to get something minor done, they did a great job....

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
balmain, diy