How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

10-11-2004
flaunt the imperfection

not stupid...i'm the dork...

int...i'm not telling...

10-11-2004
trendsetter

its ok
it's better to show it once it's done anyway
you're making a collar with pom poms hanging off it, arent you?

10-11-2004
flaunt the imperfection

LOL...maybe i'll do that too...no ...i just have to develop it a bit more before i really know...but it involves more Y's...

12-11-2004
trendsetter

http://www.fabricsandbuttons.com/folkwear.html

check out this website!!!!
I want to make everything on it!!!!!

12-11-2004
no photos, no photos

Sugo-collar and cuffs should be fairly simple. Find a pattern for a shirt that has what you want and just make the collar and cuffs and attach them to whatever you want. I don't even know how to explain the process, but it's relatively simple, more time consuming than anything. Give me a better description and maybe I can help out. Make sure to use a good interfaceing or a heavy broadcloth for added stiffness. I prefer broadcloth because I don't like the way fusible interfacing looks after it's been washed.

Soft-what are you up to?

12-11-2004
no photos, no photos

Why can I picture you in one of the Gibson Girl blouses?

15-11-2004
no photos, no photos

My latest fascination has been with the brand Libertine. I love all the prints on reworked vintage pieces. Since a lot of my wardrobe falls into that category I decided to try my hand at it. I've since started stencilling on blazers and pants and shirts, can't stop. I might even try it on a tie. I did a cord blzr with pink skulls. My shredded wool blzr got black griffins on the back with a crown on the front pocket. Stripe dress shirts get daggers going down the sleeves. I would really like to find a trench to do with leaves like the one from Libertine (my avatar).
It's incredibly easy: I print stencils out on sticker paper, cut them with an exacto, stick to the fabric and cover the rest with plastic bags and tape, then spray paint away.

17-11-2004
fashion icon

Hi guys, I need your opinions/help on something:

I have a vintage looking t-shirt (it's from Bathing Ape, the print is of a rainbow with an ape's head in the center and it's like one of those Phys Ed class t-shirts from the 80's) that recently, for some unknown reason, developed a small hole in the shoulder. I've decided to take the hole and run with it, and I wanna create a distressed effect with the t-shirt a la Number (N)ine to give it an even greater worn-in feel. Do you guys have any suggestions on maybe strategic placements of some more holes or some other things I can do to add to the distressed effect without looking overboard or tacky? Thanks.

17-11-2004
backstage pass

Hey softgrey, when you fixed the cashmere scarf with copper wire, what size did you use? I have a lot of 24 ga left over from something else, and I was wondering whether that would be too large. I thought about using it for denim, though, so maybe a slightly larger size would be ok? I'm messing with these jeans that I've worn in quite a bit...they're sooo comfy, but they're butt-ugly. I'm going to add a bit more paint to them (because they have some on them from painting, but just enough that they look dirty rather than cool). I might also add some patches of this vintage fabric that I found, but I was thinking that I might do something with the wire as well. Ahh, I dunno. I'll see how it looks.

17-11-2004
backstage pass

As for distressing the tshirt..I think there's another thread on that? I found it...here: http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/index...showtopic=16110 I hope it helps.

17-11-2004
fashion icon

^^^

Thanks for the link!

here's a cool example from HK Yahoo Auctions I found...this t-shirt is from Number (N)ine:

i probably won't rip mine up to that degree but probably add a few holes here and there.

17-11-2004
tailored

i checked this whole thread and didn't see anything about this, so...

i got a tweed jacket at a thrift store, and want to add some flowers to it, kind of in the Libertine style.

i remember seeing instructions in teen vogue on how to do this with sponge stamps and fabric paint, but of course i don't have it anymore. anyone know how to do this? I want to use black or red paint (the jacket is a brownish-green tweed).

17-11-2004
flaunt the imperfection

kimair...just a page back chris gave exact directions on how he's doing all this great stenciling...just like libertine...

17-11-2004
flaunt the imperfection

eoles...i have no idea what guage...i got the stuff at a surplus place...it's very random there...just whatever you find...i love digging around for buried treasure...good luck with your project...

alex-letting down or cutting off the hem is a good way to make a t-shirt look distressed or vintage...i do that quite a bit...

17-11-2004
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 17 2004, 11:15 PM

alex-letting down or cutting off the hem is a good way to make a t-shirt look distressed or vintage...i do that quite a bit...
[snapback]436781[/snapback]

? was this directed at me, cause I asked the question about the t-shirts...thanks for the tip though

But can you please explain what letting down/cutting off the hem means, I don't really understand that

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customisations