How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
21-02-2005
  226
rising star
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 154
I do some customizations in terms of cutting stuff up, etc. but not much in the way of sewing so Iím hoping to benefit from your collective wisdom here : )



I recently got a long skirt at a thrift store that I would like to turn into a sundress. It could just hang straight down or have some elastic under the bust if thatís not too adventurous.



The thing is I donít have a sewing machine. Is this something I could do by hand or should I just contact a local seamstress or whatever the correct term is?



Thanks!

 
 
21-02-2005
  227
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 28
attached is a customized watch i made around christmas time. it was one of my dad's old gold watches and the band had broken, so i tied a ribbon through the little bars on the side of the face. its really basic, but just thought i'd add to the thread!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp watch.bmp (110.3 KB, 70 views)

 
23-02-2005
  228
V.I.P.
 
*Happiness*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: it's beautiful up here...
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
cut off and distressed frye leather boots with sandpaper...

threw in washing machine and dryer...

low temp in the washing machine...dryer for 30 min...

oh..what to do with the left over leather from the boots...

What about suede? Any suggestions? I have a black suede A-line skirt that is just too "normal and plain" I want to jazz things up a bit. I was thinking about splatting paint over it or something...but I don't know.

__________________
"when you become quiet, it just dawns on you."
~thomas edison.
 
23-02-2005
  229
V.I.P.
 
*Happiness*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: it's beautiful up here...
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKatherineA
I can not beleive how many creative people are on this board, I am so impressed and so inspired!
Oh my goodness! I am sooooooo impressed and truly inspired!!!!! I TFS...for real!!!!!

__________________
"when you become quiet, it just dawns on you."
~thomas edison.
 
23-02-2005
  230
flaunt the imperfection..
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Happiness*
What about suede? Any suggestions? I have a black suede A-line skirt that is just too "normal and plain" I want to jazz things up a bit. I was thinking about splatting paint over it or something...but I don't know.
frankly...it sounds perfect as is and i wouldn't change a thing...
it's what you wear it WITH that will spice it up...i like really simple classic pieces in an unexpected material like suede or lthr...and i wear it just like it was wool or satin...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



 
23-02-2005
  231
V.I.P.
 
*Happiness*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: it's beautiful up here...
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
frankly...it sounds perfect as is and i wouldn't change a thing...
it's what you wear it WITH that will spice it up...i like really simple classic pieces in an unexpected material like suede or lthr...and i wear it just like it was wool or satin...
Yeah...you're probably right. I'll stick it back in the closet for "normal" wear.

__________________
"when you become quiet, it just dawns on you."
~thomas edison.
 
23-02-2005
  232
flaunt the imperfection..
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,664
could be good for a mtg or interview...simple, classic, but slightly rock n roll...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



 
07-03-2005
  233
Swim Upstream
 
helena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: europe
Gender: femme
Posts: 6,460
I was at the marni shop last week & saw the sales girls wearing very cute little jersey waistband things like this below.... they were wearing them with cotton shirts & cute cropped trousers. To buy they were E215. They were made of jersey & have buttons down the front - and were worn scrunched up.



so I was thinking of buying a childrens cardigan & cutting off the sleeves & neck so that you effectively just have a tube of fabric. Its not going to be quite as perfect as the marni version - but when its scrunched uo you are unlikely to tell the difference really. so I am on the lookout for an interesting childrens cardi.....

 
08-03-2005
  234
Storm & Sommer
 
Hanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cph
Gender: femme
Posts: 15,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena
so I was thinking of buying a childrens cardigan & cutting off the sleeves & neck so that you effectively just have a tube of fabric. Its not going to be quite as perfect as the marni version - but when its scrunched uo you are unlikely to tell the difference really. so I am on the lookout for an interesting childrens cardi.....
Can't wait to see you diy project Helena !

__________________

pinterest : hanneonpin
.
 
10-03-2005
  235
V.I.P.
 
*Happiness*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: it's beautiful up here...
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,115
Ideas & Suggestions For This Top/Dress....
I don't know what to do with this. I want to cut it and make it shorter because it's too long on me (comes midcalf area) and it looks funny without pants but with pants it looks too stuffy (imo)

If anyone has any input on this I would appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tunic.jpg (226.1 KB, 8 views)

__________________
"when you become quiet, it just dawns on you."
~thomas edison.
 
10-03-2005
  236
offline.
 
Luna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: the world
Gender: femme
Posts: 9,821
cut it in half... us the bottom half for an interesting skirt.. and the top as a tunic... but not meant to be worn together. The skirt part might be a bit large.. but you can take it in on the sides, i'm sure.

__________________
...and I will be strong even when it all goes wrong.

 
10-03-2005
  237
V.I.P.
 
*Happiness*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: it's beautiful up here...
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by luna
cut it in half... us the bottom half for an interesting skirt.. and the top as a tunic... but not meant to be worn together. The skirt part might be a bit large.. but you can take it in on the sides, i'm sure.
Thanks. If I don't do a skirt...I'll figure something out with the extra material. Thanks again.

__________________
"when you become quiet, it just dawns on you."
~thomas edison.
 
10-03-2005
  238
flaunt the imperfection..
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,664
i LOVE it...
i would never do anything to it...i'd wear it with leggings...footless tights....and flat gladiator-style or beaded sandals...

i love long tunics like that...then add a bunch of beaded necklaces or some bangles and there you go...

FABULOUS...!!!...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



 
10-03-2005
  239
V.I.P.
 
*Happiness*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: it's beautiful up here...
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
i LOVE it...
i would never do anything to it...i'd wear it with leggings...footless tights....and flat gladiator-style or beaded sandals...

i love long tunics like that...then add a bunch of beaded necklaces or some bangles and there you go...

FABULOUS...!!!...
See I would say it's fabulous too except its a little big and I am sort of skinny (with emphasis placed on sort of) But I get your suggestion. I should put it on and take a picture of me wearing it so you can see how it looks on....

__________________
"when you become quiet, it just dawns on you."
~thomas edison.
 
10-03-2005
  240
flaunt the imperfection..
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,664
ok...so keep what i said ...but add a low slung lthr and brass belt......

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customisations
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.