How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

01-06-2004
Proponent of Plaid

I don't really customize ready-to-wear clothing that much, in large part because I don't buy that much clothing, but I do change commercial patterns around quite a bit before I use them typically. It may be something as simple as making a top longer or a skirt shorter, or I may re-design the sleeves oradd in allowance for pintucking, or change the placement of the buttons.

I am also in favor of trimming garments creatively, especially using notions that nobody else uses anymore, like rick-rack.

I think my most frequent modification to commercial patterns is adding more flare to skirts. I like my skirts to swing, swirl, and swish.

01-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

helena...what your friend says is true...no one gets dressed up anymore...chalk it up to the denim craze...but everyone is trying very hard to look like they didn't try at all...and this summer this slouchy knitwear look is very big...

i am dressed...always...i am just more comfortable in a nice pair of pants or skirt...i don't find jeans all that comfortable for the most part...

i wear all my cropped pants with boots...which i have lots of ..my current fave is a pair of kitten heels with a rounded toe...or in the summer i will wear flat sandals...(raincloudx...i'm afraid i got the pants before x-mas...sorry)

anyway...i switch the handles on bags by attaching a metal ring to each side and then looping the new strap through the rings...

another tip is to put leather in the washing machine for a rick owens distressed look...it really works!...not the dryer though...!

i took a vintage dress that was very very big...about a size 24...you could literally fit two of me in it...i cut it in half...hemmed the bottom of the top half and made a cute cropped boxy shirt...

the bottom half had permanent pleats pressed in...i left the top edge raw and sewed a 1"grosgrain ribbon about 4 inches below the top...gathering slightly and curving in the back...then i gather the rest and tie the ribbon off centre...the result is a fan like burst at the hip w/ a ribbon hanging down...very japanese...i am really happy with this one and it was very very easy...the trick is getting someone to pin it on you...

i also have a vintage silk dress from the 50's that i cut in half and am working on making an outfit...i finished the top...and am working on the skirt...this is more complicated...but very cool...

you know how 50's dresses are very fitted in the bust area and full in the skirt?...well...i cut off the top of the top as well...and made a sort of bustier...then i attached staps which i sewed on top and left the ends hanging down...which i cut off the other dress above...and a piece of fabric at the bottom to make a peplum...i sewed a grosgrain ribbon around the waist and left the ends long so i can tie it in the back......ta da!!!..very very marni..it's two diffent prints..
the straps are blk/wht...the body is blk/brn.wht...the ribbon is blk and the peplum is ivory with a raw edge...i will layer it over a ribbed tank top to make it more casual...

let's see anything else?...hmmm...i'll get back to you...

01-06-2004

purple...your shirt is great!!!

02-06-2004
V.I.P.

Does ne1 kno ne gud sites wid ideas 4 customising on it ???

02-06-2004

i know there are more of you out there...please share!!!,....

03-06-2004
V.I.P.

Does ne1 know of any good websites with information on customisng on them ???? im very bored so i need sumthing to do !!

03-06-2004
Swim Upstream

See Customisations thread in Personal Style section - Softgrey is v. creative!

03-06-2004
V.I.P.

k ill check it out ! thanx

03-06-2004

thx helena...but we've got loads of other creative folks here...i don't know why they didn't post...i'm rather disappointed...

03-06-2004

helena...would you explain about the felt shapes on scarves...what do you mean exactly?...

thx

03-06-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 3rd, 2004 - 9:37 pm
thx helena...but we've got loads of other creative folks here...i don't know why they didn't post...i'm rather disappointed...
i've been reading your posts on this topic ,
great tricks everybody, thanks for sharing .

havent posted mine since i have no time really,
but i promise a long and juicy reply

04-06-2004
El Viaje Definitivo

I removed buttons from some shirts of LMaltieri,
since I have never worn them with the buttons fastened.

plus they get more fluttering.

Let the stars decide

04-06-2004
Swim Upstream

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 3rd, 2004 - 4:39 pm
helena...would you explain about the felt shapes on scarves...what do you mean exactly?...

thx
I have made up little applique felt/silk/tweed flowers and animals (dogs usually) - looks very like louis viutton/clements ribiero a couple of years ago. I really like them but its really time consuming making them all. also you have to watch not to put too many on as it can look over the top very quickly. I use very traditional scarves as a starting point - like tweed (v. scottish) or chalkstripe wool so that the applique looks fresh. I get the scarves from Johnstons of Elgin (cashmere makers) near where I live. I haven't made one for ages though! Work is too hectic all the time.

04-06-2004
Swim Upstream

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena+Jun 3rd, 2004 - 5:37 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lena @ Jun 3rd, 2004 - 5:37 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Jun 3rd, 2004 - 9:37 pm
i've been reading your posts on this topic ,
great tricks everybody, thanks for sharing .

havent posted mine since i have no time really,
but i promise a long and juicy reply [/b][/quote]
Thanks Lena - off on my holidays for a week so looking forward to seeing your response when I get back! H.x

04-06-2004

oh...helena...that sounds cute...with the scarf trick...

yes...lena...looking forward to your response...what about everyone else...

ale, acid, etc...where are our aspiring fashion designers...don't you guys have some creative tidbits to share...!!

gucci ...i know a trick of yours...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customisations