Customisations - Page 35 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
23-06-2005
tea time

you should be able to buy shoe dye designed to dye suede shoes form a haberdashery store. its a dye that you paint onto the shoes or thats what i found just go look and see

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/

23-06-2005
front row

Thank you boots! But the problem is that i live in Portugal...I've never heard about that...! Is it available online?

23-06-2005
tea time

wait a mo i shall try and see if i can find it or something similar

23-06-2005
tea time

not sure if this will help but i did a search for dylon shoe dye and they have a english site they seem to have alot of countries on the website including portugal but i dont think they sell it from the web personally but there are other websites below that may sell it!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...+shoe+dye&meta=

23-06-2005
front row

Thank you very much...!

09-07-2005
V.I.P.

Alright, Im way too lazy to read the past 25 pages but I was wondering how you can paint shoes. I want to make my old Puma Romas silver metallic with a black stripe...

How do I do it? Do I need special paint? Spray paint? And what about the suede strip? Will it become all matted if I spray paint it black? How do I separate the colors, with that blue tape the painters use or what?

29-07-2005
V.I.P.

Help from the masters, please

I bought this Mexican wedding dress months ago at a second hand shop (BEFORE Mary Kate wore something similar ). I haven't worn it yet because it seems so dramatic and swallows me whole. It also came with a sash that I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with . Anyhow, I was thinking of modifying it. My instinct is to take a tier off the bottom (leaving the lace at the bottom of the last tier), take the flutter off the sleeve (again leaving lace) and tie it off with a brightly colored satin sash. What do you think? Would I be doing an injustice to the dress by altering it? And is it bad karma to alter a WEDDING dress ? Anyhow, here' some various pics and thoughts to give ideas:

- Leave as is?
- shorten only (wouldn't be quite as poofy as the picture since it's just pinned... unless I wore a petticoat that is :p)?
- shorten dress and sleeves?
- sash or no?

Thanks for any help!!

29-07-2005
backstage pass

i need enlightenment on different types of printing like
- silkscreen
- heat transfer
- iron on?
- what else?

and can someone probably explain the terms and the pros and cons and stuffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonf
I haven't made it yet, it's just a project on my computer

If I print it I'll have it professionally made, I don't think iron ons would lead to fine results for anything else than photographies (but I may be wrong, never tried it).

Which one would you print if you had the choice ?

30-07-2005
tfs star

Oh Curious, that is one gorgeous dress, just my cup of tea! :p It suits you well.

I totally understand the feeling when you say it's a bit too dramatic. However ideally I would leave it as it is, brave it and enjoy the hippie feel. If I were you I would simply take in the waist and wear it with a dark ribbon choker, victorian style lace-up boots, and flowy hair to parties/shows or when having guests over. Also if you accessorize with rustic necklaces, scarves/shawls, chunky semiprecious bracelets and silver rings to add some detail perhaps it would make it easier to wear.

Alterations: if anything, I would take in the sides and waist a bit, so it fits you better, like in the second and last photo. Only, I would leave the lace in because it is beautiful. Perhaps sew sashes on either sides so that you can tie it tighter in the back? Oh, please whatever you do, don't change the sleeves, they are so gorgeous!!!!

If you still feel the dress is difficult...perhaps make it shorter...mmmm, but what a pity, the length is so perfect. Perhaps you can cut the dress in half five inches below the waist so you have a long skirt, plus a blouse with a peplum? Then you can mix and match as well.

Hope that helps!

By the way I love this thread.

ButBeautiful, there is a lot of info about ironing and heat transfers and printing in this thread...I know it's really long but it's fascinating read, well worth it! Do you have some specific questions in mind?

Last edited by Melisande; 30-07-2005 at 12:50 PM.

30-07-2005
elementary.

curious the dress seems very similar to the maternity one i posted in 'wht are you wearing today'
the sleeve's & neckline are similar
& the tiered skirt !

if i was you i would remove nothing
& wear it with the sash thing arnd yr waist
+ a cropped black nehru collar jackt . . .
v.elegant profile !
it would look great if you added different coloured sashes as well !

removing the bottom tier makes it look 'wrong' proportionally to me
as it is above yr knees . . maybe if it was just below yr knees it would work !
& i love the sleeves so plz leave them be . .

Last edited by i_<3_chanel; 30-07-2005 at 01:03 PM.

30-07-2005
tfs star

Thanks for the reinforcement, Chanel...I'm getting all nervous that Curious is going to do something to the beautiful sleeves!

Colored sashes and nehru collar are great ideas. I agree on not changing the skirt length.

About "five inches below"...I'm not used to inches so its not exact but I just meant to find a good dividing point, but it's just an idea!

Let us know how you style it Curious!

30-07-2005
elementary.

ehe !
don't you dare touch those sleeves curious !

30-07-2005
backstage pass

hm

i have alot of questions in fact.

silkscreen.
- all i know about that is u have to use a paint (what paint is that?) and brush over a mount of your stencils? am i correct?
- how does the print feels when it is done.
- what are the pros and cons?
- i have to seperate the colors of my image and do them one by one on each different mount?

heat transfer
- pros and cons?
- how does the print feels like?
- it's by printing your image onto the special paper and then heat pressed onto the material?

dye?
- pros and cons?
- how does the dye on the material feels? no pop up like the former as it has already submerged with the material?

so.. is there any other methods around?
and what are the most used techniques by the fashion designers around?
- and let's say if i were to print a photograph onto the material. what will you or the factory normally be using?
- and how does one actually multi-color their fabrics? using paint and diy? or factory? or ..?

i'm interested to know more about prints, hope someone could help! please offer your email if you are the one who knows everything and can really solve my enquiries.

30-07-2005
flaunt the imperfection

curious...
i'm jumping on the bandwagon and saying leave that dress as is...
it's lovely...and it looks great on you...

just wear a flat sandal and some wooden beads if you want to make it more casual...

30-07-2005
flaunt the imperfection

butbeautiful...we have a topic just about dye if you just use our search feature..
welcome to tFS....

hope this helps...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customisations