How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

08-06-2004
V.I.P.

Or you can just try fabric paint.

08-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by loserunit@Jun 8th, 2004 - 11:24 pm
paint with acrylics and then seal it with hairspray
how does the hairspray seal anything?...doesn't it come out in the wash?...

i've used acrylics too...i think you have to hand wash to keep the paint from coming off and cracking...i advise watering it down (the paint)...if it's too thick it will crack...unless that's what you're going for...if you really water it down...you get a tie dye effect...

08-06-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Jun 8th, 2004 - 11:33 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jun 8th, 2004 - 11:33 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-loserunit@Jun 8th, 2004 - 11:24 pm

i've used acrylics too...i think you have to hand wash to keep the paint from coming off and cracking...i advise watering it down (the paint)...if it's too thick it will crack...unless that's what you're going for...if you really water it down...you get a tie dye effect... [/b][/quote]
you know...i have no idea. i just know what i've been told...except i've never tried it myself.

i personally just use acrylics and if they fade i paint over and retouch.

08-06-2004
V.I.P.

Here's one of my lopsided attempts at modification through sewing. I made this during the whole war on Iraq thing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lopsided.jpg (10.0 KB, 64 views)

08-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by loserunit+Jun 8th, 2004 - 11:36 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (loserunit @ Jun 8th, 2004 - 11:36 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 8th, 2004 - 11:33 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-loserunit
Quote:
@Jun 8th, 2004 - 11:24 pm

i've used acrylics too...i think you have to hand wash to keep the paint from coming off and cracking...i advise watering it down (the paint)...if it's too thick it will crack...unless that's what you're going for...if you really water it down...you get a tie dye effect...
you know...i have no idea. i just know what i've been told...except i've never tried it myself.

i personally just use acrylics and if they fade i paint over and retouch. [/b][/quote]
ha...you know...in art class we used hairspray to seal charcoal and pastel drawings...i know that works...

and also for getting out stains in fabric...but not for sealing paint...i think it might actually dissolve the paint...now that i think about it...

09-06-2004
stories everywhere

customizations... fun stuff.

I do the usual... painting jeans, skirts, shirts ect.
swarovski crystaling jeans
studding jeans, skirts jackets

i rip jeans heh heh
I once bought a pair of white leather pointy pumps and painted a design all over them. a woman stopped me on the street and bought them off me right then... had to walk home barefoot true... but I was $300 bucks richer.

I used to try embroidery, but i suck at it. now I draw designs and bead and sequin them in.

I am FOREVER making skirts out of old t-shirts

I am also a proponent of buying vintage jackets and ripping out all the seams, the re-sewing them in a sligtly more modern (or more vintagey) shape. I also LOVE to buy jackets and things wiht cool buttons from the 30s and 40s and using them in new stuff.

I really want a button bag. that should be my next project.

09-06-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Jun 9th, 2004 - 5:59 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jun 9th, 2004 - 5:59 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by loserunit@Jun 8th, 2004 - 11:36 pm
Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 8th, 2004 - 11:33 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-loserunit
Quote:
Quote:
@Jun 8th, 2004 - 11:24 pm

i personally just use acrylics and if they fade i paint over and retouch.
ha...you know...in art class we used hairspray to seal charcoal and pastel drawings...i know that works...

and also for getting out stains in fabric...but not for sealing paint...i think it might actually dissolve the paint...now that i think about it... [/b][/quote]
Thanks guys, thanks (also thanks to Sephora socialite and Purple)

Im not going for a tie die approach, and I dont want even coats of paint. Thisnk of what happens to your clothers after painting your walls.

09-06-2004
tfs star

What kind of paint does one use to paint on shoes?

09-06-2004
V.I.P.

What kind of shoe? fabric, leather?

10-06-2004
tfs star

Leather.

10-06-2004
stories everywhere

I used acrylic, the painted a clear sealer over it whan it had dried

10-06-2004
backstage pass

Basically I will just alter them for fit. I am a skinny guy and off the rack usually needs something done, like hemming, taking in the butt of trousers, making a real cuff, taking in the jackets waist or something. If it is just something i really do not care about like jeans, i will just cut the leg to the length i want and leave it raw.

10-06-2004
backstage pass

Many still use latex paint. You know it will last, just look at the guy that painted your home.

10-06-2004
front row

Cubic zirconia on my phone
Sea shells on belts, handbags, watch straps and jeans
I thought Cubic zirconia on my cats collar was going a bit far!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v70.jpg (46.8 KB, 71 views)

10-06-2004
front row

Nearly forgot the most successful customized attempt, a old fashioned fur jacket my mother gave to me. I ripped the lining out and took the sleeves off to wear it inside out. Now looks like one of those native american furry-lined waistcoat styles. I strictly have to keep it out of her view or she'll do the same to me!!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customisations