How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

03-03-2006
V.I.P.

^ Ditto The pictures of you WEARING it are amazing though

04-03-2006
backstage pass

I have a customisations question, and I'm not sure if this is the place to post it, but here goes. I'm skinny-fying some black velvet pants, but the velvet is very thick and black and full I guess would be a good word. :p I would prefer it to be more distressed, has anyone ever had luck distressing velvet?

06-03-2006
front row

Wow, people in here do some great work!
Not a great customizer myself, but thought I'd share this. I found this white satin bow belt that once matched with a white princess-ish dress I wore when I was 10. There's no way I'd ever fit into the dress again, but the belt I thought I might make wearable again. But since I obviously don't have my tiny 10-year-old waist I just removed the clasps and sew them back on further out to make the waist larger. I think the belt is really cute.

Here are some pics where I paired the belt with a powder puff top from H&M (and sweat pants, as I am just hanging around at home)

I can wear it both with the bow on the front, like this:

And with the bow on the back, makes it look a bit like a cumberbund at the front, no?

06-03-2006
flaunt the imperfection

super cute chairfan.......

07-03-2006
front row

Chris, tht jacket's really wonderful! I saw it on the "wearing" thread, the fitting looks great.

07-03-2006
no photos, no photos

thanks benzo.....

chairfan--awesome!!! it's the little things.....

thinking of making a tshirt out of the left over parts from the jacket....I can't throw anything away.....

Kisa--I have no idea how one would distress velvet.......washing it would ruin it......and you couldn't sand it....

07-03-2006
Seductress in Eden

I really need to reasses my wardrobe. Alot of clothes are too big so i need to work out what to get taken in and what to put away. I have a few evening dresses that i think i shouldnt get altered, just put away for when im older.

I need to change the lengths of a few skirts. They are like on the knee since i have grown, use to be below, but now i think i need to take it up a few inches.

I have a few bras that i dont want to really use any more so im thinking about making them the base off dresses that i make. But i need to find a design.

I really need to evaluate my wardrobe

07-03-2006
V.I.P.

Purechris, loving your Undercover knock off..... It must have took you a lot of time...! I am sure you're very happy of the final result as it is very cool! I really love the idea of one side being a shirt turned upside down!

07-03-2006
no photos, no photos

thx kimkhuu......it actually didn't take very long...probably 5 hours tops cut and sew....when you consider that all of the hems were already done.....the time consuming part was laying it out and figuring what shirt should be where.....

07-03-2006
V.I.P.

^ Then you must be a pro....! It would have taken me much longer....., just to figure how to make a proper cutting so that the fit is nice and not badly sewn.

I am trying to customise some of my stuff, being inspired by the trompe l'oeil, watercolors and color blocks trends... !

07-03-2006
flaunt the imperfection

all of chris' stuff that he makes looks completely professional...
it's really impressive...
the boy has mad skills...

07-03-2006
rising star

between all the preparations for the maths exam I found some time to "pimp my jeans" (oh how ghetto) haha
Took some motoroil and golden (metallic) acrylic paint...
So here are some pictures of how the jeans looked a few minutes ago (now there's a lil bit more golden paint):

sorry for the quality, but it's just a phone cam...

07-03-2006
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by purechris
Kisa--I have no idea how one would distress velvet.......washing it would ruin it......and you couldn't sand it....
Well... Maybe you actually could wash it gently in cold water? Or dampen it a bit and press down on it, perhaps cold rather than hot? Treat it in some way, maybe wax it very, very lightly? Is the velvet matte or shiny, what is it made of?

This is interesting...

07-03-2006
no photos, no photos

yes tott....it's very interesting.....depending on the type of velvet it is.....cotton, synthetic, silk, crushed, stretch...it's hard to think of anything to do without knowing....

...like the idea of a wax applied.....I was thinking of burning it....with an iron to flatten out the pile

07-03-2006
slightly dizzy

I've been thinking about waxing my Jil Sander shearling jacket, it could be interesting. That kind of velvety suede won't stay perfect anyway, so why not "destroy" it deliberately... I'll wait a bit before I do something I'll regret though!

Scorching/melting very slightly could absolutely work if the velvet is a bit synthetic, I was also thinking about that!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customisations