How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

07-03-2006
no photos, no photos

great minds

what are you waxing with??? I'm curious...

Mulletboy--I like what you did with the jeans.....motor oil...good one

07-03-2006
slightly dizzy

I have this block of wax you're using for waxing the thread when you're sewing leather. You can use it like you would an eraser, with light or heavy pressure and more or less strokes.

And if you add heat, it could get more interesting, I guess...

07-03-2006
flaunt the imperfection

tott...OMG......

you are very brave to even consider that......

08-03-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tott
Well... Maybe you actually could wash it gently in cold water? Or dampen it a bit and press down on it, perhaps cold rather than hot? Treat it in some way, maybe wax it very, very lightly? Is the velvet matte or shiny, what is it made of?

This is interesting...
The label reads 100% cotton, so I suppose it's cotton-velvet. What I did was to break out the scissors, and shave the parts I wanted to be distressed for HOURS. Little by little it's working.

08-03-2006
slightly dizzy

But maybe not brave enough to actually do it, softie... At least not until I've managed to damage it by mistake.

kisa, sounds interesting and time-consuming...! :p

09-03-2006
front row

I can't believe I've missed this thread! So inspiring

Actually I've been posting in "Sewing" what would rightfully belong here.

I like to embroider onto oxford shirts and zip-up sweatshirts, I've replaced buttons on various things, shortened hems, customised necklines and straps, and recently sewed up a pair of old jeans to make them "skinny"

a shirt I customised for myself

One half of a pair of wings I embroidered onto a sweatshirt for my sister (took me FOREVER!) And an ace of spades I did for my brother

And my jeans (previously abercro,bie bootcut )

I replaced the buttons on this trench last night...I'll take a picture of the finished product today (image from laredoute.com)

09-03-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisa
The label reads 100% cotton, so I suppose it's cotton-velvet. What I did was to break out the scissors, and shave the parts I wanted to be distressed for HOURS. Little by little it's working.
Otherwise, for shaving the pile, you could probably use a razorblade or a safety razor (I'd go for the cheapest disposables I could find at the drugstore.) (Razors/razorblades also work well for removing fiber-pills from knits) I'd say, start slowly until you get the knack of it, especially with a razorblade, there's a certain angle you have to find to keep from nicking the backing.

09-03-2006
flaunt the imperfection

good luck kisa...
nice embroidery clavdia...
and the jns look really good...

09-03-2006
front row

Thanks softgrey...

Here's the "after" picture of my trench coat

(laredoute.com)

crazy how much some buttons will do!

Last edited by clavdiachauchat; 09-03-2006 at 09:42 PM.

10-03-2006
no photos, no photos

nice new buttons!!!

and the embroidery is awesome!!! I remember seeing the bro's but not your sisters

29-03-2006
windowshopping

diy halter top gone wrong... help!!!
i just finished making a halter top from an old shirt. its my first customization and i felt so proud of myself because it fits really well and i thought i had taken all of the preventive measures (measuring, drawing on the fabric, checking a zillion times before cutting, etc.) but i think i totally screwed it up.

i cut the edges of the halter top exactly where i wanted them to be. i only realized after, when i was trying it on in front of the mirror, that i should have cut it larger than the length that i really wanted it so that i could fold it over and hem it! i have raw edges along the two sides that run from both armpits to the neck and all around the back.

i dont care if it ends up looking messy because i plan to wear it in extremely casual situations and a little bit of messy actually kind of looks cool, i just dont want it to fray at the ends, especially along the front. the back part is not a problem because i dont care how low it dips but i wanted to ask you girls (and guys!) if there is anything i can do to save the front.

i already tried pinning some of the fabric along the raw edge back to get a clean hem but since i cut the halter to the EXACT spot where i wanted it, it ends up showing too much chest and i cant have that!

can i sew some kind of "closing stitch" (i dont know the proper word for this, i apologize to those of you who are pros) along the raw edge? would it be possible to sew on more fabric to the raw edge to fold over for the hem? i still have the fabric that i cut off.

im sorry this post is so long, im rambling now so ill stop. please help!!!

30-03-2006
no photos, no photos

if you do a straight stitch about 1/8-1/4 inch from the raw edge it will keep it from completely fraying. If we're talking about the cut being on the bias, which I assume, because you cut it at an angle from the under arm to the neck, then it will fray even less. You could also just cut strips of the fabric (on the bias) and attach them on the top and leave the edges raw.

30-03-2006
windowshopping

thank you, purechris! ill try it this weekend!

05-04-2006
backstage pass

When I want some chance in my wardrobe I just make a mess out of it..
I've drawn things on my jeans and made some patterns on my t-shirts and cut them.
After all I always hate myself for doing it and regret...
It's a wicious sircle...
But hey, that's life... I get to buy more new clothes afterwards...

06-04-2006
windowshopping

i'm so addicted to customizing my clothes! I don't have one t-shirt that I haven't cut up, added some kind of beading to, or drawn some sort of design on. i just can't stand wearing plain t-shirts and stuff, i have to add some sort of unique style to it

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customisations