How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

10-10-2008
backstage pass

Any idea of how to do this with the leggins?i know it seems easy but i don't want them to disapear once i cut them

credit:chictopia
5183026282.jpg

01-11-2008
Fashion Designer

if the leggings are made of lykra there shouldnt be any problem if you just cut along the sides, remember to cut just an horizontal line as the tend to expand when youre wearing them, thats why the cuts have an oval shape. if your leggings are like a pantyhose or a more sheer material, im afraid theyll fall apart the second you put a whole on them.

05-11-2008
backstage pass

I'm trying to stud a pair of old Dr. Martins. What do I do. Can I nail them? Where do I get the studs? Could I use the drill?

06-11-2008
Not Thinking About Time

You can usually get studs from Joanns fabric all you need is a hammer and patience. I wanted to make Rodarte tights as well I was thinking of shreading normal tights and then tying little bits together

Portfolio Last FM

14-11-2008
Geometric Discharge

Educo those stockings are amazing.

Okay, what I want to do is buy a pair of second-hand cord trousers and customise them as so they are like skinny jeans - only cords.

Any ideas on how i'd go about doing this? Do you think i'd have to look for a pair (there are many out there) that are a few sizes bigger than I usually take so I can take the whole thing in?
I don't know - I'm new to customising things to actually be worn by someone.

Anybody help me?

15-11-2008
rock-chic

Several pairs of my skinny jeans started life as 'normal' ones. I get my usual size & take the legs in. I usually take in the outside seam, from about mid-thigh level. Pin them first, and be careul with the bottoms so you can get your feet in & out easily. I do mine on my overlocker, but I'm sure you can get the same results on an ordinary sewing machine.

15-11-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying Diamonds View Post
Educo those stockings are amazing.

Okay, what I want to do is buy a pair of second-hand cord trousers and customise them as so they are like skinny jeans - only cords.

Any ideas on how i'd go about doing this? Do you think i'd have to look for a pair (there are many out there) that are a few sizes bigger than I usually take so I can take the whole thing in?
I don't know - I'm new to customising things to actually be worn by someone.

Anybody help me?
Definitely stick with your normal size in the hip...once I tied to take in some jeans all over and it's so much more tricky than you would imagine Feline's advice was really good, start out with your usual size and take from the outside.
Don't attempt to take in from the inside crotch area ..... it never works!!!

15-11-2008
front row

I shredded these last night. I'm quite pleased at how they turned out- I wasn't sure if it was going to work or not...

margiela inspiration from jak+jil

15-11-2008
Not Thinking About Time

That is a great Idea are you wearing tights underneath because that looks really cool as well

Portfolio Last FM

15-11-2008
Fashion Designer

that looks awesome, i couldnt tellt he difference between the two

15-11-2008
windowshopping

There are numerous ways to update clothing.
Not mentioned: Putting in darts or micro pleats
Making an embroidered floral then slightly fringe edges and apply fusible webbing to make an applique from fabric (cut from the hem) -Then fuse/stitch on to lapel.
Turn an oversized jacket into a double breasted jacket.
Instead of hemming denim or wool skirts-try fringing it.
Put in a corset back- purchase satin, lace or any other decorative fabric and matching trim to put around top and bottom of the bodice, loops and lacing. Cut fabric in rectangular shape only angled wider at the top (about 8-10 inches in length by 6-8' at top and 3-4' at bottom Interface/line and put boning around inside edges and for a few lengthwise cross strips. Use trim to make loops for both sides of CB. Do this by cutting two strips of fabric the length of rectangle and about 1' wide, interface/line it attach trim in half moon loops using a dime as a guide. Stitch trim to upper and lower bodice. Stitch triangular piece to left side of bodice overlapping bodice. Stitch looped pieces to both sides of CB. Put hook and eyes on right side. Use about 6 feet of trim for lacing attaching it to the left top loop. For more detailed instructions look at a bridal book.
There are loads of ideas in Fabric Collage Magazine at Barnes and Nobel.
Enjoy!

15-11-2008
Not Thinking About Time

Hello Kim

Portfolio Last FM

16-11-2008
tfs star

MUXU, your customized Givenchy-ish necklace looks stunning! Where'd you get the materials? Now I think I want one too!! Haha

16-11-2008
windowshopping

Sophia,
I tried to see your portfolio, but am unaware of how to view it. I am older am not as computer savvy. I noticed your are at the art Institute in Chi-town. I am a native of a suburb of chicago. I have resided in Texas the last 14 years. I wish I could live in an area where local designers appreciated. Here in Dallas/Fort Worth people are extremely name conscious. the big names in design houses are sought after regardless of how simple, poorly constructed or even hideous they are. While designs made by local designers are virtually ignored.
Kim

16-11-2008
backstage pass

^^Their loss

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customisations