How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

16-11-2008
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feline View Post
Several pairs of my skinny jeans started life as 'normal' ones. I get my usual size & take the legs in. I usually take in the outside seam, from about mid-thigh level. Pin them first, and be careul with the bottoms so you can get your feet in & out easily. I do mine on my overlocker, but I'm sure you can get the same results on an ordinary sewing machine.
Haa! Before checking back at this thread, last night I went ahead and took in some not-so-nice second-hand trousers I bought - I only realised while doing it that they were golfing trousers

I put them on and rougly measured how much i'd need to take them in by to make them 'skinny', I then turned them inside out and measured and marked the measurement on both legs (half the measurement on either side of each leg). I then pinned them both up the line of markings to just underneath the trouser pocket area, then I sewed on the sewing machine up the pinned line, took the trousers up a bit and voila! Skinny golfing trousers. Traditional, yet cool.

16-11-2008
Not Thinking About Time

Those look really nice I like how you mixed patterns.

Portfolio Last FM

16-11-2008
Geometric Discharge

stealthmodesteph how did you shred those trousers?? I must know!
I adore the barely-there-they-are-so-shredded Margiela trousers and I would love my own pair.
Could you possibly guide me through what you did?

16-11-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUXU View Post
not sure if this is the right thread to post this

inspired by the Givenchy fw collection's massive cluster of chains with charms on them, i decided to make a gothic pimp chain necklace for myself...but less clustered and...heavy. of course, if i can, i would make it just as clustered but i would need to make an iron neck myself as well! the Givenchy necklace does look incredibly heavy but i wonder if it really is so...

Givenchy fw
it all started with these pictures, hehe
it doesnt look as WOW as the real givenchy necklace but it's awsome enough for me and it's already rather heavy

initially it didnt take too long to make the necklace, but i did have some tool trouble in the begining. the adding on charms and post-fixing the chain part took me at least one full hour. having to put on charms and take them off and putting them on again sure wasnt fun for my fingers and nails. but the result is worth it!
actually, the Givenchy chains are not heavy, they just look that part. dunno what material they're made of lol.

good job tho!

16-11-2008
trendsetter

The shredded jeans look wonderful, Stealth. I might try something like that. It's been years since I shredded my jeans, what exactly is the trick behind that again?

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 16-11-2008 at 02:04 PM.

21-11-2008
trendsetter

Ahem, so, no one has posted on this thread for about a week, and I'm feeling angsty. Please bear with me, for I have a few questions:

- What is the best way to shred jeans in that Margiela style? Tools, technique, etc.? I only have one spare pair of jeans to work on and I don't want to ruin them.

- To all the stud-happy people on here, where did you purchase the studs and stud-punching thingy? I've had no luck in craft stores near me.

- What is the best kind of paint to use on wooden heels and leather shoes? I would like to dye a pair of nude-colored shoes; is this possible or should I just scrap the idea?

- How would I go about achieving this effect on jeans? Image is of JaneLovesMarc from her blog Sea of Shoes

21-11-2008
Fashion Designer

I am going to do the MMM shredded jeans. I have a thick denim jeans, think AE or Levis, that i made into skinny, and planning to use sharp scissors to cut lines all across and then i think it would be nice to use some kind of sand paper to give the cuts a worned out effect, i may change my tools as i go on since its just a plan at the moment, ill try to do it tomorrow and post the process on my blog.

For the effect on the jeans above, i would use bleach and water. Just take your black jeans and soak them in water, wring to eliminate excess of water and use a bleach-water solution id say 1 part bleach, 5 parts water but try it first on something else to see if it works. Then use a small brush, maybe a 2" and draw little ovals, since the jeans are wetm the bleach solution will expand and cause the tie-dye effect. I think it could work. Maybe you could try this out and let us know how it went.

21-11-2008
rising star

^gasolinerainbow, i got mine from studsandspikes.com

22-11-2008
V.I.P.

shredded look:
you can cut the fabric and then throw it in the washing machine
soap and hot water
the agitation will fray the threads even more

the white effect on the jeans can be bleach / discharge paste/etc
or it can be tie-dye like daniellat mentioned
you would be working with a light-coloured or white pants for tie-dye
there might be ideas in this thread:
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ing-50994.html

use the search function at the top of the page
to find more related topics
we have dyeing threads in the DIY section.. for clothes as well as leather

22-11-2008
Geometric Discharge

I'm definately going to try the shredding idea. We should all try it and post pictures on here and see how they all turned out! Would be totally awesome to see.

I think stealthmodesteph lined her jeans with the same colour material as so it wasn't quite so cold as the Margielas when you wore them.

In the mean time, while i'm searching for a cool pair of jeans to destroy i've double-breasted about five of my single breasted jackets that were too big for me and they look totally cool! They like fasten to the side just beside the pocket now and it really gives the jackets a modern look. I'm loving them.

22-11-2008
Not Thinking About Time

I started shredding a tshirt last night I am failing at it I think the knit is to high quality I should get a cheeper tshirt to do it with. The jeans are next but I need to figure out which ones to sacrifice I think that I am going to skinny a pair of flairs I dont wear and they shred.

Portfolio Last FM

22-11-2008
trendsetter

Thank you all

22-11-2008
V.I.P.

oh guys you don't need to wreck your fabrics when cutting them
just cut them normally
it's when you wash it that it frays automatically

it's actually an old technique
maybe 19th century england
they would slash silk dresses and it creates a texture after washing
i could post sometime if i find it

now i want to do this too ...

22-11-2008
Not Thinking About Time

thanks for the tips everyone.

Portfolio Last FM

22-11-2008
Fashion Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying Diamonds View Post

I think stealthmodesteph lined her jeans with the same colour material as so it wasn't quite so cold as the Margielas when you wore them.
a thick pair of tights or leggings would do the trick.

We all should to the MMM jeans! it would be great to see all!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customisations