How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

25-11-2008
Not Thinking About Time

yes I am I slit them up a little to high you could see my underwear I am sure

Portfolio Last FM

25-11-2008
Not Thinking About Time

Yay I am done I can give instructions but I numbered the pics so it is easy to follow along next time I think I am going to get a pair of jeans that are not twill that means the weave is diagonal they dont shred as nicely. I want to go find a pair of jeans at target or some where cheap because it was such a fun project.

Portfolio Last FM

25-11-2008
Geometric Discharge

^ They look so cool.
Congrats!

25-11-2008
Fashion Designer

Mine were twill as well but they shredded perfectly bc i washed them roughly on a washboard. Once i cut them i put them under water and dye for almost an our and then washed them, and they turned out pretty good. maybe you could do the same, just ommit the dye.

26-11-2008
Not Thinking About Time

^ yours did work out great

Ok so ready for my newest project I am going to make

Ann Demeulemeester triple lace up boots out of regular rounded toe 2 1/2 inch knee high boots.
pic Mona Moore cant wait I only have 4 holes done so this is going to take a while and I need to figure out how to make the tounge but I cant wait.

Portfolio Last FM

26-11-2008
Fashion Designer

uuh thats sounds interesting, ive never done diy shoes! cant wait to see how it turns. good luck!

27-11-2008
fashion insider

I'm trying to make the MMM jeans now. I made many slashes across my jeans using a scissors to tear (not cut) and then I washed it in a washing machine. It doesn't seem very worn out but there are millions of tiny lil strings peeking out. The jeans are still drying. This is my first attempt at customization please tell me what to do?

27-11-2008
Geometric Discharge

Sophia I fell totally in love with those boots when they were posted on the yay or nay? thread.
Good luck!

28-11-2008
front row

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply about the shredded jeans. The thickness of the jeans definitely matters. Thicker jeans with low amounts of lycra will work best. The jeans I used were from H&M.

I used a blade and scissors to cut slits. Some were really close together, and others more far apart. I think they look better with a variety of widths.

I know you can just throw them in the wash, but I felt like I got better fraying by using some sandpaper horizontally across the cuts first. It helped to loosen the threads.

Good luck!

28-11-2008
front row

I did some tie dying the other week and here are the results.

originally I was just going to do the tights, but I had a lot of dye left so I did an old AA t-shirt too.

I have experience dying, but this was pretty fool-proof. To get the results I did, use a scrunching method. Scrunch whatever you're dying up in a ball and put elastics around the outside to keep it in a ball. Then dye it.

28-11-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by from: sophia View Post
^ yours did work out great

Ok so ready for my newest project I am going to make

Ann Demeulemeester triple lace up boots out of regular rounded toe 2 1/2 inch knee high boots.
pic Mona Moore cant wait I only have 4 holes done so this is going to take a while and I need to figure out how to make the tounge but I cant wait.
Ooh! I can't wait to see results! I've been thinking about that same diy for a while now, because I looooove those boots! Good luck! Post here when you're done!

28-11-2008
turn and face the strange

stealth, a very good clean tie-dye job!! I've never done one I liked.. too many colors causes it to look ugly I suppose. What dye did you use out of curiosity?

28-11-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by haute femme View Post
stealth, a very good clean tie-dye job!! I've never done one I liked.. too many colors causes it to look ugly I suppose. What dye did you use out of curiosity?
I was looking for rit... but what I bought was a little circular tin of powder. I can't remember the brand name. I just got it because it could dye nylon and spandex (for the tights). I usually use natural dyes for natural fibers. We have a really great dye supply store here. You can order online too: http://www.maiwa.com/stores/supply/index.html

29-11-2008
rising star

i made my own balmain jeans. bleaching is so fun

the balmain pic is from style.com

29-11-2008
fashion insider

Wow, you guys are doing great stuff! I love the tie dye shirt and the balmain jeans!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customisations