How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

09-12-2008
Fashion Designer

They look good!

I recently customized a chain belt i had and turned it into a givenchy-esque necklace.

I added more layers for fullness. I used it on my photoshoot also. I think it worked well with the outfit, but im not sure id wear it in real life, its really heavy.

09-12-2008
Not Thinking About Time

I was waiting for your photoshoot it turned out great the jeans look great as well

Portfolio Last FM

09-12-2008
windowshopping

still a work in progress.

i totally dig this thread.

09-12-2008
front row

Omg great job!!! Those stockings look amazing!

12-01-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmodesteph View Post
I did some tie dying the other week and here are the results.

I really really love those tights! You must have used some brand of cotton tights? How did you get those colors and that pattern? I was never very good at tie dye.
None of my tie dye attempts turn out like this. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Would love to see the same thing in a silk scarf.

12-01-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by purly View Post
I really really love those tights! You must have used some brand of cotton tights? How did you get those colors and that pattern? I was never very good at tie dye.
None of my tie dye attempts turn out like this. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Would love to see the same thing in a silk scarf.
Hi, the dye I used said it would work on polyester, so I just used a pair of white American Apparel tights. I made sure to separate the layers (so that the front and back of the tights weren't sticking together) and then scrunched them up making sure that there was no obvious places where the fabric was twisted or scrunched so to avoid that "tie dye" look and get more of a marble look. Then put elastic bands all around the outside (I used 3 or 4 of those clear ponytail elastics)

If you find some cheap white tights just experiment with the way that you scrunch them up and see what happens.

Good luck! It's fun because the result is a surprise!

12-01-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmodesteph View Post
Hi, the dye I used said it would work on polyester, so I just used a pair of white American Apparel tights. I made sure to separate the layers (so that the front and back of the tights weren't sticking together) and then scrunched them up making sure that there was no obvious places where the fabric was twisted or scrunched so to avoid that "tie dye" look and get more of a marble look. Then put elastic bands all around the outside (I used 3 or 4 of those clear ponytail elastics)

If you find some cheap white tights just experiment with the way that you scrunch them up and see what happens.

Good luck! It's fun because the result is a surprise!
I guess I'm having trouble picturing the scrunching part, but obviously I can experiment. What kind of dye did you use?

12-01-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by purly View Post
I guess I'm having trouble picturing the scrunching part, but obviously I can experiment. What kind of dye did you use?
Yeah, it's kind of hard to explain. A lot of tie dying/shibori has specific twisting and pleating or gathering to create different looks, but make sure you don't do that so you get more of a random look.

I used a powder dylon dye that you mix with hot water and salt. Whatever dye you use, just make sure to read on the package to make sure it dyes polyester (for the tights) and make sure your tights are polyester. Some are nylon, and most store-bought dyes won't dye nylon.

15-01-2009
front row

Loving the bleach ideas!

15-01-2009
Geometric Discharge

This is something I created absolutely ages ago from a jacket in a charity shop for one of my projects.
Thought I'd post it here:

It was based on the windows of the Winter Palace in Saint Petersburg, the front pockets are cut out as so you can put your hands directly into your trouser pockets and the edges are covered in red PVC, sewn on by hand.
Ever tried machine sewing PVC?

It isn't well done in the slightest

15-01-2009
trendsetter

That's so creative, I love this thread! Especially the idea of pushing your hands straight into your trouser pockets.

Lately I've been attacking old, unwearable shirts trying to figure out how to create a feel of shoulder pads, ala Alexander Wang.

www.style.com

Not specifically the swirls that he did, but as abstract inspiration. I think it's such a cool idea; that sort of embellishment has been done so many times on the waist with a corset-like effect, why not the shoulders?

01-02-2009
nap
windowshopping

Hand painted vintage skirt
I've been hand painting this bird on vintage clothes for my Etsy shop. My closet is starting to look like the set on a Hitchcock film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jan26blackskirt1.jpg (237.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg jan26blackskirtcloseup.jpg (303.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by gius; 01-02-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: removed link. Please see rules about spamming

01-02-2009
Geometric Discharge

^ Wonderful! I love it.

01-02-2009
V.I.P.

The Frayed jeans look incredible!
I want some jeans like Balmain from MENS F/W 09/10
& do you think a man could pull off acid wash jeans? But not the light coloured jeans, I only wear dark coloured..

02-02-2009
fashion icon

painted stripes onto a boring 70s camel coat

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customisations