How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

13-04-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by from: sophia View Post
I am shredding a t right now but I am going to try and do the whole thing and then reattach the threads to make something rodarte-ish I am still leaving some of the vertical threads intact to hold it together.
That is a really neat idea. It wold look great if it was done with dyed fabric to give it even more of that Rodarte-ish feel.

14-04-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxy View Post
what keeps me busy these days:

and i intend to cover that shirt up with studs!
I can't wait to see the final project!

14-04-2009
front row

i have just spent the past 2hours reading over this entire thread. i must say you are all exceptionally talented and creative. i'm going to ask the most basic question, i found a really great loose thick knitted chunky sweater that i want to 'rodartify'. how would i do this?

thanks so much!

14-04-2009
front row

fashionfille, i just bought a BUNCH of studs off ebay. they are super cheap and great

14-04-2009
rising star

YAY i just ordered 500 studs from spikesandstuds.com!!!!!! hahaha, i went a little crazy. i can't wait to receive them and start studding the world!!!

18-04-2009
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion.fashoff View Post
made from an oversized coat i bought from a street vendor...

I absolutely love your customisations fashfashoff!
You've totally inspired me to do some myself - When I've tried in the past all experimentation has gone out of my head - I'm going to try again definately.
Charity shops here I come

Last edited by gius; 20-04-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: removed pic from quote

19-04-2009
windowshopping

hi everyone... i'm new here but i wanted to share my recent customization ... i took a pair of faux suede Forever 21 boots and added additional fringe (the fringe on them was like so cheap and thin, it was terrible) and obviously a ton of studs (I got inspiration for the pattern from a Matthew Williamson belt).

The funniest thing about this project is that i wore them once and then sold them on Ebay. I think i just wanted to see if i could make them!

I did a post on customizations of this awesome Isabel Marant boots on my blog, i don't think i'm supposed to link it here but you can see the address in my signature.

i highly advise customizing faux suede boots and shoes though- they are usually really thin fabric so you can easily punch the studs through. plus you dont wreck an expensive pair of shoes!!

19-04-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by holierthannow View Post
hi everyone... i'm new here but i wanted to share my recent customization ... i took a pair of faux suede Forever 21 boots and added additional fringe (the fringe on them was like so cheap and thin, it was terrible) and obviously a ton of studs (I got inspiration for the pattern from a Matthew Williamson belt).

The funniest thing about this project is that i wore them once and then sold them on Ebay. I think i just wanted to see if i could make them!

I did a post on customizations of this awesome Isabel Marant boots on my blog, i don't think i'm supposed to link it here but you can see the address in my signature.

i highly advise customizing faux suede boots and shoes though- they are usually really thin fabric so you can easily punch the studs through. plus you dont wreck an expensive pair of shoes!!
WOW they look gorgeous! i'm so jealous of whoever bought those. i think i've just decided to stud a pair of black slouchy faux- suede boots. the only question i have- is there a way to stifften them up a bit? i can post images if needed. p.s. i love love love love love your blog, holierthannow!

Last edited by gius; 20-04-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: please remove pictures from quotes

20-04-2009
tfs star

Starch? Would that work?

20-04-2009
windowshopping

thanks!!! and thanks for lovin' my blog ; ) i should be working on it right now but I'm posting here ... !!

To stiffen up the boots I HIGHLY suggest iron on backing... you can buy it at any fabric store. It's called innerfacing or interfacing... just tell them you are looking for an iron-on stiffening fabric. It's very thin... You won't be able to use it on the whole leg, just as much as you can turn inside out.

Put the iron on low and see how low you can use to get it to adhere, keep increasing the heat... don't start too hot! good luck.

21-04-2009
Fashion Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxy View Post
what keeps me busy these days:
and i intend to cover that shirt up with studs!
i think that will be painful to wear without a lining

23-04-2009
Geometric Discharge

I was in need of a summer jacket so I bought this wool jacket from a charity shop and cut the sleeves off.
The only thing is, the short sleeves are oddly shaped (as is apparent on picture two) - I think it's the lining underneath causing the major wrinkles etc - I pinned down hems on the lining material and the wool and then pinned them facing each other, then managed to hand sew the lining to the hem of the wool as so the stitches weren't visible.
What's the reason it's making these weird creases?

23-04-2009
V.I.P.

nice fabric

looks like it might just too big
are you able to push all the extra fabric into one fold --if so, you can create a pleat or dart

you then will probably have to remove the whole sleeve off the suit

23-04-2009
Fashion Designer

wow that is a nice transformation just by cuttin the sleeves off.

i believe that when you did the stitching to join the lining and the wool fabric you may have moved the fabric, to me it looks like the wrinkles are made because the fabric is twisted since all the creases are pointing to the same direction.

24-04-2009
turn and face the strange

I'd say maybe cut out the lining, unless it's uncomfortable or you need it. I've had the same problem while altering a men's blazer.. it's just soo hard to keep the flimsy lining with the jacket! It looks very nice otherwise. Good idea!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customisations