How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

12-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinetush@Aug 10 2004, 05:31 PM
Rigth at the moment I'm using ribbon to evrything, on my shoes. on my skirts and the handle on my bags, where i'm taking a lot in many colours and put them togeather.

Sometimes I also use children's socks as sleeves, I think it's very cute.
[snapback]327557[/snapback]
ribbons are excellent...so much you can do with them...

oceanharlot...can't wait to see the bag..!!!

12-08-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Inspired by my Laura Ashley jacket's floral lining (I was just trying it on...it was for someone else, honest) I've been lining all my jacket sleeves with patterns and then wearing them with the sleeves rolled over. Today I lined my YSL black suit jacket with cream on chocolate brown polka-dot silk...

12-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection

poc...you are so industrious...do you make things for your girlfriend as well...?

13-08-2004
backstage pass

J'adore this thread.

I would love to see some pictures of your experiments, everyone! Please??

13-08-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 12 2004, 10:28 PM
poc...you are so industrious...do you make things for your girlfriend as well...?
[snapback]330315[/snapback]
Not yet but it's an idea! Maybe once my sewing is better I will...(I've been teaching myself all the different stitches these past weeks on a machine I got given for free at Oxfam).

21-08-2004
What fresh hell is this.?

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 12 2004, 09:13 PM
ribbons are excellent...so much you can do with them...
I know they are great at... everything

22-08-2004
scenester

I customize vintage and thrift items alot, one of my favorite things to do is buy old dresses and cut them off to make tops. I'll usually keep the skirt fabric to make something else, a top, mini-skirt, vest or something. I recently found a gorgeous Catherine Malandrino dress at a re-sale shop, I cut it in half and changed the neckline of the top, then I sewed in a wasitband to make a skirt out of the bottom.

I can not beleive how many creative people are on this board, I am so impressed and so inspired!

22-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection

welcome miss k...sounds like a cool project...

i just ripped down the hem of a mini-skirt so it has a raw edge and am now working on a shirt i have ripped the sleeves off of...

23-08-2004
no photos, no photos

I just got "challenged" by a local paper to do a "look for less" type project at the local thrift. Unfortunately, they didn't have any of their Fall stuff out yet so I had to customize a few pieces. I bought a long night gown and chopped it off right above the hips. (this piece was so cool that a friend was dying for it) I cut off a pair of 501s right below the fly to make a super short shirt. and to accessorize I took a multi chain necklace and cut it into different lengths to make earrings. It turned out so hot that the model kept all of it. Maybe I'll post pics when it gets published.

23-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by purechris@Aug 23 2004, 10:27 AM
I just got "challenged" by a local paper to do a "look for less" type project at the local thrift. Unfortunately, they didn't have any of their Fall stuff out yet so I had to customize a few pieces. I bought a long night gown and chopped it off right above the hips. (this piece was so cool that a friend was dying for it) I cut off a pair of 501s right below the fly to make a super short shirt. and to accessorize I took a multi chain necklace and cut it into different lengths to make earrings. It turned out so hot that the model kept all of it. Maybe I'll post pics when it gets published.
[snapback]342572[/snapback]
sounds very beyonce...definitely post if you can!!

23-08-2004
scenester

-I'm short so a lot of jeans are long on me so I cut almost all of them
- gluing faux roses onto a tanktop or jeans..these are ver beautiful gifts
- i acid washed my jeans in the 80s
- I have a jean jacket that i cut the sleeves off and sewed all these inteesting buttons to it
-I take all of my tees and do something in them. i work so much that im almost alwyas in tees and jeans so i like to make them somewhat stylish. i make slits in my tees or make the into halter tops or i cut some up to make one.

26-08-2004
scenester

wow, reading this thread is amazing.... I love customizing or making my own things, especially since I don't have the means to always get what I want. And for some trends, like sequined/decorated wifebeaters, or distressed jeans etc., I didn't want to spend the money for things I could do myself...although I do think that people that inspire you should be honored...but they'll have to wait until I have more to spend, lol. I knit & crochet all types of clothing and accessories, have made my own bags and jewelry - like an old cord skirt I had - I made a tote bag out of it. I've done the whole t-shirt thing, done the ripping, tearing, dying, bleaching, cutting up of jeans... Shoes I haven't dared to do yet...Although I also sew, let's say it's an art I intend to master . The simplest thing I've done, but for which I've received compliments (and one girl went and did the same thing) was to just cut off the top part of my dungarees. I hate dungarees, but I thought, well the pants part sit well, and the belt loops are pretty low, and I liked the three buttons on each side. Just not the top. I did this about two years ago, now I see very similiar ones, just more distressed everywhere. Turned out great, and they look kinda like this:[attachmentid=24737]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13_1.jpg (18.8 KB, 81 views)

26-08-2004
yes

everytime i see this topic i think it says 'circumsisions'

well my own customisations = writing on tees with fabric paint, which is very basic but my friends always ask for them

26-08-2004
I loved you

im not sure if other people do this, but if manage to get my hands a slippery kind of thick plastic bag, (not just normal grocery store ones, i get mine when i buy cosmetics at MAC or sometimes clothing.) i cut out shapes, letters, etc. from the bag and slowly iron them to the shirt over wax paper (so the plastic wont melt on the iron)

28-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by breathe0xygen@Aug 26 2004, 04:47 AM
im not sure if other people do this, but if manage to get my hands a slippery kind of thick plastic bag, (not just normal grocery store ones, i get mine when i buy cosmetics at MAC or sometimes clothing.) i cut out shapes, letters, etc. from the bag and slowly iron them to the shirt over wax paper (so the plastic wont melt on the iron)
[snapback]345787[/snapback]

GENIUS...!!!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customisations