How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-03-2004
backstage pass

Customize your Jeans - distressing etc
Create one.

If you've got a pair of pants that are really comfortable, but seem bland, give them some distress using a cheese grater. Gives them a really cool wash.

07-03-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Or conversely just wear them a lot and wash them a lot.

It doesn't take that long for a pair of jeans to break in. 3-4 months, tops and they're uniquely yours.

If ya hang on to them for years, they only get better and better. I've a pair of boys' Levis 550s that started out plain dark indigo and are now that wonderful, classic, worn-in, faded, distressed bluejean color. I've had the darn things since 1997 for pity's sake. The back pockets are about to fall off.

V.I.P.

Thanks for the idea, Burro!! I bought a pair of jeans at the thrift that already have some beatupedness, but I wanted to do more damage to them.. but I didn't have any ideas.. I love ripped jeans, but everyone and their momma has them now... I will definatly try this!! It sounds like it'll look very interesting.

08-03-2004
front row

i tried the chesse grater thing only i used one of those stand up ones not the ones with the handle and it was really hard and quite funny ..so i recomend using the hadle kind

backstage pass

yeah, use a handle type cheese grater. Use it first on a pair of pants you don't really care about to get a feel for how to do it. You won't ruin them, but best to experiment before you dive right in.

08-03-2004
backstage pass

kinda OT: I went to A/F this weekend and they were selling these kind of ripped/worn in jeans for like a million bucks! I can't believe kids pay that much $$$ for that kind of damage you can do at the comfort of your own home! I would personally save that money for some designer jeans not for A/F.

backstage pass

I'm wanting to distress the hell out of a pair of otherwise ruined jeans. I would like to fade the centers and add wrinkles on the thighs. I've achieved the wrinkling by crinkling the jeans and using a mild glue on the wrinkled areas. It'll come out when they're washed, but I also want to fade the jeans where it's wrinkled. Aside from my cheese-grater technique, what's a good bleach/water ratio for fading my jeans without having a bunch of pink spots?

31-03-2004
& b

I use a nail file, or anything porous, and fade the tone a little bit...nothing vulgar or cheap looking...I also use a razor, this weakens the spots where is touched, and if you keep rubbing a lot, you might get this cool shredding look of the thread, and even more, you might end up with a hole

backstage pass

I'll use my dad's razor. Judging by the hack-job this piece of **** did on my face, I figure it'll do good on my jeans.

31-03-2004
offline.

Get a pumus stone. I wonder if I spelled "Pumus" right.

31-03-2004
V.I.P.

carson from queer eye suggests a cheese gra[d/t?]er

yurp.

31-03-2004
rising star

i use sandpaper.

offline.

Crap. I just remember it's PUMICE. I spelled it like humus... whooops!

31-03-2004
stories everywhere

i think that a rasp you'd find in the toolshed would work excellent. Also I think that a steel brush or maybe even a good kickass thrashing around your neighborhood, sure I mean, everyone will think you're nuts running about with your jeans in your hands smacking them against telephone poles and large rocks, but thats the price of being original. and having the perfect distressed jeans.

backstage pass

i put the jeans on (so the wear spots are corectly placed) and used an electric sander, but you gotta be reeeeeeeeeally careful, not to knick ur self, seriously.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
customize, distressing, jeans