How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-12-2007
trendsetter

Denim Shorts
So... Has any one ever turned a pair of Jeans into shorts?
I have a few pairs I don't wear anymore but figured I should put them to use and I wouldn't mind a pair of shorts.
Should I not do this? would it look totally dumb or if someone has done it how did it turn out and what kind of tips would you have for me?
thx a ton <3

11-01-2008
Eat me, drink me

Eh...cutoffs...I dunno, I would cut them and hem them somehow so that it'd look good.
I've only turned jeans into skirts, but I'm thinking for shorts you need to have a good leg on the jean, like something not supertight at the thigh.

trendsetter

^hmm good idea... i do have a pair that are really loose in the tight but i see what you mean...
thanks for the advice

scenester

i find that this works very well.. but only if the jeans aren't tight in the thigh.

barack the vote

I've turned old jeans into cutoffs before.

I really want to make a pair with exposed pockets for this summer.

11-01-2008
trendsetter

^ yea that is what i was thinking you know instead of buying a new pair of shorts w/ the pockets like that i could just make them... i have all these old jeans from when i was in my A&F Hollister phase and i hate to see them just laying there going to waste afterall they weren't free! haha

i think i'm just going to go for it... though i'm wondering if i should leave a little fabric for hemming or if i should just keep them as cut offs

rising star

I recently hacked at an old pair of jeans and made some shorts out of it. The shorts sit quite short and are turned up at the ends. I cut them to about 2.5 inches above my knee, cut along the inside hem on both legs by about 2inches (gives the material room to fold up without cutting into your leg and becoming to tight) and folded them about three times until there was a fold running all the way round my leg and they've held up pretty well since. I hand sewed the folds in place and they turned out not too bad...not perfect but I only wear them in the house so they work for me
Hope this helps!

17-01-2008
tfs star

I wouldn't hem them if I was having the pockets exposed. It would look a bit wrong you know all finished but with the pockets on show.I would just roll the hem up so you can't see a lot of fraying.

02-02-2008
windowshopping

Hope this isn't too late... but - sometimes it's tricky to get the shape you want on the hem line. On some things it all just goes askew! So, I've found it's best to get the line you want with inches to spare rather than... *sigh*-don't even ask.

(If you don't need to ask.. because you now know. I may well be able to help, so feel free to ask about That!! )

25-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlissadeJete View Post
i find that this works very well.. but only if the jeans aren't tight in the thigh.
I learned this twice, the hard way. :p It's because I wear my jeans super skinny, but clearly, I've learned that does NOT translate to a good pair of shorts.

I wanted a new pair of jeans for summer, a little loose and baggy, rolled up and distressed like I've seen some people wear. I decided to borrow from the boys, and went to a second hand shop and picked up a pair of guys American Eagle jeans in the smallest size they make guys jeans in. I think they would fall down, except lucky for me, as skinny as I am, I have these jutting hip bones that hold them up.

The shorts look great, because they're not too tight, since they were guys jeans.

I'd highly recommend borrowing from the boys, to create your own shorts, if you can fit into guys jeans. As long as they fit in the waist, you don't have to worry about the length since you'll be chopping them off anyway.

trendsetter

guys I need your help

I cut my jeans today but I'm not satisfied; I want them to look more like that:
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9...rosio08100.jpg
you know, ripped on the edge

so how can I do this? any ideas? I don't know, I was thinking about the razor...

source of the pic: alessandraambrosiopics.blogspot.com

Last edited by gius; 10-05-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: please resize large images.
08-05-2009
tfs star

Wash them.

V.I.P.

i wish there was a closer, closer picture so we can see how they had made the jeans to keep it from fraying more
or at least how they pulled the threads out
(unless she made it herself?)

10-05-2009
trendsetter

^ I don't know how the jeans was made, and I only have that pic but I'll try to wash them and see what will happen next

tfs star

I cleared out my wardrobe today, and i found an old pair or grey jeans that i don't wear anymore. Im thinking of chopping and turning them into a pair of shorts for summer, since they are loose at the thigh.

If all goes well, i'll post some before and after pics!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
denim, shorts