How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-05-2010
In Bloom

from anywho.dk:

DIY: DRAPED DRESS

I går skulle jeg til min søsters konfirmation og havde ikke rigtigt noget at tage på – derfor var det heldigt, at jeg et par dage forinden havde købt 3 meter stof hos Stof2000. Jeg prøvede at drapere stoffet rundt om en gine uden rigtigt at vide hvad jeg ville og endte kort tid efter op med kjolen ovenfor. Den er meget simpel at lave og kræver kun omkring en times tid…
Yesterday was my sister’s confirmation and I really didn’t know what to wear – luckily I’d just bought 3 meters of fabric a few days earlier. I tried to randomly drape the fabric on my dress form without really knowing what I wanted to end up with, and it turned out like this. It’s really simple to make and only takes about an hour…

Du skal bruge 3 meter stof (evt. viscose/jersey), nåle, en symaskine, en stofsaks og en gine (eller en tålmodig veninde).
1. Læg det 3 m lange stof skråt over ginen og sæt stoffet fast på ginen med nåle ved skulderen.
2. Hiv den anden ende af stoffet rundt om ginen og op på modsatte skulder, så stoffet krydser hinanden foran og sæt stoffet fast ved skulderen.
3. Vend ginen om. Hiv stoffet, der hænger under bagdelen helt op til skuldrene.
4. Sæt stoffet fast med nåle på skuldrene, der hvor du gerne vil have syningen.
5. Tjek at stoffet ikke klumper, men har en velfordelt draperet effekt på begge skuldre. Ret evt. til og sæt nålene fast igen, så alt er klar til symaskinen.
6. I den ene side er der en del stof til overs, men i stedet for at klippe det af, så lad det blive som det er, da det skaber en flot draperet effekt, når det falder. Du skal dog sy det sammen, da der ellers vil være kig ind din nøgne hud. Sy skuldrene og den ene side med symaskinen. Jeg valgte ikke at sy kanter, da stoffet var så tyndt, at det ville blive grimt – men det kommer meget an på stoffet. Normalt ville jeg altid sy kanter.
Voila!

You need 3 meters of fabric (viscose or jersey), needles, a sewing machine and a dress form (or a patient friend).

1. Drape the fabric across the dress form and pin it down by the shoulder.
2. Take the other end of the fabric and drape it across the other shoulder.
3. Turn the dress form around and pull the fabric that’s hanging under the behind all the way up to the shoulders.
4. Pin down the fabric on the shoulders where you want to sew the pieces together.
5. Make sure the fabric isn’t clumpy but evenly draped on both shoulders. Make any adjustments necessary and pin everything down again.
6. There’ll be some left over fabric on one side, but leave it like it is instead of cutting it off – it’ll give a great draped effect as it falls. You’ll just have to sew it together to avoid showing skin. Sew the
shoulders and the one side with the sewing machine. I decided not to sew any edges because the fabric was so thin – but it really depends on the fabric. Usually I’d always sew edges.

we were in love

13-05-2010
front row

Wow, I love that. I wish I could make something like that but it's out of my skill set.
Great work!

14-05-2010
scenester

The Ida that looks awesome

front row

Oh wow some amazing DIY's here!! Great work everyone!

21-05-2010
front row

The draped dress is amazing! I think I'm going to try this.

31-05-2010
windowshopping

I made this collar today.

front row

Inspired by this Yohji Yamamoto SS10 shirt:

style.com

Very simple; cut out round shapes (I made mine more flower-like), fold them and cut a small hole in the center, and affix to a shirt with adhesive.

31-05-2010
trendsetter

This is more of an asking-for-tips than a look-what-I-made post anyway. I hope that's ok! For my cousin's wedding I am the maid of honor and in charge of the bridesmaids' hair. I want to copy the hair and golden, twiggy hairpieces seen in Chanel SS10 but use wavier, curlier hair to look beachier.

Does anyone have tips on how to create the golden twiggy hair pieces? I am thinking I need to start with the right twiggy base and paint it gold and add some fine gold glitter on key spots and a few nice swarovski rinestones for a touch of extra sparkle. I think they don't even need to be attached to a clip, but they can be pinned into the hair if they are held together in little bundles some how.

Problem is I spent all Friday afternoon looking at craft stores for supplies and I am at a loss for what to use for the twiggy part. I need small stick-like things with lots of forks so they look like twiggy coral. I don't want leaves or flowers. I looked at all sorts of silk flower and plant varieties for something I could mutilate, but nothing looked branchy enough at a small scale. Like it is too straight at the size I need and wouldn't really have forked branches unless I used a massive huge piece of it. Any thoughts? The best thing I found so far was branches of sweet huck that I could break up and group small pieces together, but it wouldn't have the look of coral like the chanel ones and I want that coral-y look. THanks in advance for any leads or tips on the branchy part! The gold paint and sparkly part is easy to find.

photos from style.com:

trendsetter

Just to update: I decided I needed to be less picky and specific about the type of twiggy thing I was looking for. I bought a bunch of stuff and hopefully will make the hair pieces tomorrow. I promise to share pics and then it will turn into a how-to post

front row

Celine SS 2010 dress:

style.com

And here's my version:

own photo

16-06-2010
front row

And here's my Nicholas Kirkwood for Rodarte fall 2010 shoes DIY, heel covered with melted candle wax

/stylebubble, jak&jil/

/own photos/

17-06-2010
V.I.P.

Cocoly! I'm in awe!

19-06-2010
technicolor tweed

Cocoly, the shoes look amazing!!

21-06-2010
trendsetter

Wow! Those rodarte shoes are amazing! BUt I bet it helps a lot to start off with a really cool pair of white open-toe booties, which might be hard to find…

For my chanel SS10 hairpiece DIY, I did finish them for the wedding and they were a huge hit. I don't think it's something I'd use in everyday street wear though.

For more images of the chanel version, click here, and look at all the gold twiggy pieces.

For my diy version, I made a facebook album of the process and the finished pieces. They aren't exactly like the original but I still like them very much.

Some of the pieces in action:

Above images are my own, from my facebook account (credit pinksatin).

rising star

YSL Spring 2008

+

jacket from the Gap

=

The Painter's Jacket

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diy, fashion, ideas