How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-03-2011
scenester

Thanks lucy92!! I am proud!

I tried to use a "matrix" to mark off the places, but it didn't work because it's not a flat surface... so I just tried to punch equidistant holes. They're not 100% perfect, but as a perfectionist I'm fairly happy with the result!
The screwback spikes from studsandspikes.com were too expensive and not the "right" shape and size. I used screwback spikes from pethardware.com and a tool I can't remember the name to punch the holes. It's used in saddlery to punch the holes and then hand stitch... I got it at a local leather supplies shop. Studding gun wouldn't be possible because it was hard to reach some areas with my fingers, let alone a bulky-ish "gun"!!
Punch hole -> insert screw from the inside -> screw spike!
Three spikes fell off because they were just glued on (first two rows at the front of the shoes are only glued on because I couldn't insert the screws from the inside) with an extremely strong leather glue and people kept stepping on me!... so three out of 18 is a very positive balance! lol
It took me two non consecutive afternoons to finnish both shoes, because my fingers were sore from punching holes, inserting screws and screwing spikes!

You should post a picture of your studded flats! I'm curious now! Are yours three time heavier studded than they were originally? Yes, it's weird when the shoes brush against each other... I tried not too but ended up walking funny! lol

EDIT:

todocoleccion.net
The tool I used is almost like this, only the metal "needle" is longer.

Last edited by Petit Lucille; 25-03-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Wrong extension to credit. And please, don't post credits as urls.

18-03-2011
V.I.P.

i think we call that tool an "awl". i'm a bit afraid to use one. its how someone famous lost an eye!

i really want studded converse. bess nyc sells them but they cost 175$. everything in their store is studded and its REALLY expensive.

you might get more studding ideas from them. here is a lookbook from an older season
http://www.bess-nyc.com/aw09lookbookweb.pdf

scenester

my little diy studded and spiked vest... not finished yet, though.

Last edited by callagabrielle; 21-03-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: photo not showing
21-03-2011
scenester

more diys i've done...

fringe shorts

studs, studs, studs

turban

Last edited by daniellat; 21-03-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: self promotion
21-03-2011
windowshopping

Studs! <3 Gorgeous! Great, great, great pieces, HPrince!
I can't wear them, though- my school doesn't allow studs, lol. p: Maybe I'll look into them more during the summer. (:

23-03-2011
V.I.P.

saw this shirt from a japanese brand, Vanquish, where i got the image from too. but since i'm not getting anywhere near Asia in the next few months, i'd love to make something like that myself. would anyone be able to give me pointers on how to accomplish that?

23-03-2011
scenester

Love that shirt Street_a_Licious!!

I guess you just have to pick a white shirt and then either hand paint it (extremely difficult!) or find the feathers design or picture and then print it on a good quality, thin transfer... One of those that you iron it and it transfers the design. That might be the easiest way with the best results... Just find a nice feathers design and that's about it!

Good luck with that project! Don't forget to post it when it's done!

23-03-2011
V.I.P.

Do It Yourself: Burberry Trench

While we do enjoy the season's ample offering of ultra-feminine and ladylike looks, every now and then our inner bad girl craves something with an edgy twist. And while that longing can be satisfied by a bevy of looksólike channeling the '90s grunge era with a swirly babydoll frock and combat boots or creating a biker-inspired look by pairing a pretty blouse with slim leather pantsónothing reflects that tough-girl spirit like an insanely cool studded trench. It's slightly dangerous, a little bit punk rock, and very chic all at the same time. Plus, it's a must-have piece for your wardrobe this spring, which is precisely why we're creating our very own in today's edition of D.I.Y.!

So what's the inspiration behind this amazing do-it-yourself challenge? The super sleek trench coats from Burberry Prorsum's S/S 11 collection, of course! For spring, Christopher Bailey put a biker spin on the British brand's iconic jacket, showing a variety of styles and silhouettes that were heavily studded, banded in black leather, and cinched with neon patent leather belts. The Bonded Nappa Biker Studded Trench ($7995, 800.284.8480) featured above is our personal favorite, as it contrasts the jacket's warm honey hue with rows of polished gold spikes running down the sleeves. The resulting piece has a luxuriously edgy look that is surprisingly versatile, as it can be styled with a rugged ensemble or juxtaposed against a slinky, ultra-bright frockóno wonder we're so obsessed!

Now if you agree that Burberry Prorsum's studded trench is a wardrobe necessity this spring, but are on a strict budget, we know just the person who can help: Erica Domesek of P.S. I Made This! The D.I.Y. guru gave us some amazing insight on how to create this key piece, and though it might seem like a time-consuming project, we promise the results are totally worth it. So grab a classic trench and round up all those extra chopsticks you can find, because today she's sharing all the secrets on how to craft a one-of-a-kind studded trench with just a few, easy-to-follow steps!óJessica Baker

INGREDIENTS:
-H&M Trench Coat ($60)
-Approximately 400 chopsticks or candy apple sticks
-Handsaw
-Gold spray paint
-Chalk
-Glue Gun

DIRECTIONS
Before you begin: if you're particularly good with a handsaw or know someone with a power table saw, proceed with Step 1. For those of you who don't have those tools handy, you can make an alternative version of this trench by purchasing and using gold studs instead. If you choose to do the latter, please refer to the second set of instructions and note that this project will get a bit pricier.

1. Cut down chopsticks or candy apple sticks to about an inch with a handsaw or ask someone with a power table saw to cut down for you. You should end up with 164 pointy ends for each sleeve.

2. Once you finished cutting the sticks, it's time to paint them! Make sure you're in a well-ventilated area and are working on a flat surface. We suggest protecting your workspace with old magazines or newspaper.

3. Apply a layer of gold spray paint to the pointy tips. Leave them on your workspace for approximately 15 minutes or until dry. Flip them over and spray the other side.

4. Before you apply the spikes to the jacket, use white chalk to outline a rectangle on each arm, starting at the shoulder and ending at the elbow. You want it to be large enough to fit approximately 24 rows and five columns, but this will vary depending on the size of your jacket and how many spikes you want on it.

5. Space the gold spikes evenly in each row and use dabs of hot glue or super glue to secure each spike onto the jacket.

6. Wait approximately 10 minutes or until the glue is completely dry before wearing the trench.

If you choose to use studs:

INGREDIENTS
- H&M Trench Coat ($60)
- 17 bags of Tree Spikes ($13/bag of 20) in Gold
-Leather hole punch or X-Acto knife
-Chalk

DIRECTIONS
1.Before you apply the studs to the jacket, use white chalk to outline a rectangle on each arm, starting at the shoulder and ending at the elbow. You want it to be large enough to fit approximately 24 rows and five columns, but this will vary depending on the size of your jacket and how many studs you want on it.

2. Create small holes using a leather hole punch or X-Acto knife where you would like each stud to go.

3. Press the post of the stud through the small hole and screw the back onto the post.

Runway image, courtesy of Burberry/article from whowhatwear

front row

I made a Jil Sander inspired market bag

27-03-2011
windowshopping

Cocoly; what a great idea and it's so adorable! I love it! (:

03-04-2011
windowshopping

Just wanted to share this DIY T-strap Bra I made out of my former strapless bra.
It turned out soo cmfortable! Perfect to wear underneath a sheer blouse and the layering possibilities are endless

trendsetter

does anybody know how to make a V-neck shirt from simple tees?

06-04-2011
trendsetter

Is there a way to turn this basic sweater

into this burberry military cardigan?

my photo.
burberry.com

01-05-2011
windowshopping

recent diy's
rope bracelet:

envelope clutch:

V.I.P.

those are wonderful aimeeable reading now.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diy, fashion, ideas