How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-05-2009
rising star

Anyone knows how to rip stockings/fishnets without destroying them? i've tried ripping my stockings but somehow they always end up looking totally crappy. TIA

23-05-2009
front row

found from threadbanger.com:

Have any stockings that you ripped months back but haven’t had the heart to toss? Get out those scissors or a razor and vertically glide over a few spots gently (very gently) while making a couple holes in other areas. Focus on the upper thigh and down the knee. And when the trend is caput you can go back to the original diy idea, make a headband!

one new idea again

from shopbop.com

24-05-2009
front row

asos.com slashed top

24-05-2009
V.I.P.

the guardian had a very good feature about making DIY paul smith shirts, maison martin margiela shirts and a temperley dress (source - guardian.co.uk)

here are the instructions for the margiela waistcoat.
Maison Martin Margiela says: This is a variation of a piece we did for the Artisanal 2009 collection. "Evaluate your skills and select materials that are easy to work with. Don't compromise your taste or you will look, and feel, like an idiot:
1. Take an old waistcoat or find one in a charity shop.
2. You will need a craft knife, spray-on adhesive, clear parcel tape, newspapers, a ruler (preferably metal) and a surface to cut on.
3. Lay the newspaper on a flat surface, as if you were about to read it, and cut it into strips around 1.5cm wide.
4. Spray the outside of the waistcoat with the adhesive spray.
5. Stick the strips of paper to the waistcoat at different angles, pressing and folding as you go.
6. Using the tape, cover the whole waistcoat in a single layer of tape, tucking the ends of the paper strips and the tape neatly inside.
7. Tape more strips of newspaper onto the inside of the waistcoat, along the bottom and neckline, so that they hang down outside the waistcoat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg martin.jpg (29.8 KB, 10 views)

V.I.P.

continued...from the guardian

more pics (they match with the steps)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg martin2.jpg (22.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg martin3.jpg (24.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg martin5.jpg (25.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg martin4.jpg (28.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg martin7.jpg (32.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg martin8.jpg (34.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg martin9.jpg (22.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg martin10.jpg (29.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg martin11.jpg (28.1 KB, 0 views)

V.I.P.

vivienne westwood's diy dress from the guardian

1. Fabric
Find a rectangular piece of fabric with stretchable qualities, such as jersey. You will also need four or five squares of the same fabric, about 15cm by 15cm. You need the rectangle to be around 70cm by 90cm (make this final measurement longer if you'd like it to be below the knee, or if you are particularly tall, the short side should fit round your chest). The length of the piece should correspond roughly to how long you'd like the dress to be from chest height.
2. Folding
Fold the large piece lengthwise and mark regular matching points on both long edges, from the top to the end of fabric, starting from the very top, around 20cm or so apart. This could be four to five points, depending on the length of fabric.
3. Stitching
Stitch the two top marks together. On one side of the fabric, bring two of the marked points together to form a loose fold in the fabric. Stitch at the point where the two marks in the fabric meet, to secure the fold, but leave the fold itself open, like a loop in the edge of the material (this will hitch up the fabric, making it shorter on one side than the other, and the material will hang and bunch unevenly, as in the picture, right). Find the marked point on the other edge of the material that is at the most similar point to the fold you've just made, and bring that point over to meet the point where you've stitched: stitch that to the same place.
4. Knotting
Take one of your small squares of fabric and tie it around where the two edges are sewn together to secure them further and to create a decorative knot effect.
5. Finishing
Do this to all the marked points and you'll have a fabulous unevenly knotted dress to wear as a tube.
Vivienne's eco style tips

In these hard times, dress up - do it yourself! My suggestions...
Make a necklace out of safety pins
Wear badges (with political slogans)
Wear a shawl, blanket, tablecloth... curtain, towel or a metre of beautiful fabric worn a) draped around you instead of a coat or b) as a skirt, dress, top, or trousers (pulled through the legs)
Make a rain cloak from plastic sheeting
Kerchiefs worn as knickers are good for the disco or the beach
Wear old favourites There is status in wearing your favourites over and over until they grow old or fall apart ...

Click here for a printable PDF of the dress instructions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diyviv.jpg (14.4 KB, 7 views)

V.I.P.

Make your own Stephen Jones hat

Difficulty level: very easy

Stephen Jones says: "Hats really make an outfit. However, they can be expensive and DIY is fun, so why not try making one yourself? This one is very simple and straightforward to make, so anyone can have a go."
1. Go to a charity or secondhand clothes shop or stall and buy a cheap men's baseball cap.
2. Then go and get some plastic or fabric flowers from your local garden centre or department store. Or maybe the charity shop again.
3. Next, attach the flowers above and on the peak at the front of the cap using glue or hat pins, or if you're brave enough, sew them on. You could even use safety pins, so the bouquet becomes detachable, and then you can change the look of your hat whenever you want!
(guardian)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steve.jpg (24.9 KB, 2 views)

V.I.P.

Make your own Giles Deacon ruff t-shirt

Difficulty level: requires patience. Step-by-step pictures at observer.co.uk/makeyourown

Giles Deacon says: "For this ruff you could make your own shapes using your favourite pet or computer game - I stencilled Pacman and dogs. For me, green is more about cycling than recycling. Making your own clothes is great - but don't make everything, or I'll be out of a job!"
For the t-shirt

1. You can make a new t-shirt by taking a pattern from your favourite one. Pin the t-shirt as flat as possible front-side down on paper and mark out the shape of the front, the back and the sleeve panels, adding a 1cm sewing allowance to the seams and as much of a hem turn-up as you want.
2. Use your pattern to cut out the front and back t-shirt
panels, and a pair for the sleeves.
3. Stitch the shoulder seams together and (if you have a sewing machine) overlock the seam edge.
4. Stitch the armhole seam and overlock the seam edge.
5. Stitch both side seams (sleeve hem to the t-shirt hem) and overlock the seam edges.
6. Sew some ribbing around the neckline, leave raw or hem.
7. Fold the hem and sleeve hem up and topstitch these down.
For the laser-cut ruff

1. Download these shapes and print out onto paper.
Dog
Rabbit
Pacman
Shape 1
Shape 2
Shape 3
Shape 4
Shape 5

2. Use your new camo paper templates to mark out these shapes onto any fabric you like. (If you don't want your cut fabric shapes to fray, buy some Fray Check from any haberdashery shop and apply to the cut edge to stop them fraying.) We used a paper fabric during the show, but you can use anything: plastics, meshes, paper, FedEx envelopes.
3. Use a fabric-covered Alice band (buy one from any pound shop) as a ruff base for your cutout shapes. These make perfect necklace shapes.
4. Layer up your camo shapes into bunches and put some stitches through the middle to hold in place. Add buttons and anything else you like.
5. Pin the camo cut shapes to the Alice band, then hand-sew them on.
6. Walk tall and wear your ruff with pride!
(guardian.co.uk)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giles.jpg (21.6 KB, 3 views)

front row

tom binns jewelry

25-05-2009
V.I.P.

cocoly~ that necklace is stunning! what a great thread!!

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
27-05-2009
tfs star

Oooh that necklace!!!

Paul & Joe sister: my-wardrobe.com

Last edited by Deborah; 27-05-2009 at 04:31 PM.
29-05-2009
tFS STAFF

Get The Fashion Spot on your Facebook! Visit our page to check out the latest fashion news and connect with other tFS users.

Follow us on Twitter to keep up with both breaking news and off-beat ephemera from the world of fashion.

03-06-2009
front row

I found closer look of the rodarte blouse

via http://tavi-thenewgirlintown.blogspot.com

08-06-2009
front row

Just ripped off some studs from an old pair of sandals and put them on my jeans..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1567.jpg (200.3 KB, 5 views)

22-06-2009
scenester

the girls on bleachblack.com do rad diy...

check this one >> http://www.bleachblack.com/?p=4716 >> CHANEL inspired!

and this woman alicia lawhon does cool diy>>> http://lovemarksthespot.blogspot.com...ade-event.html

this is super cool too
http://www.gomediazine.com/tutorials...-3-easy-steps/

>> ps found all these links at RiotReport

also,, im dying to find out how to do those Mark and Estel leggings that lady gaga has been wearing>> ya know the olsen ones.. i love them...

lemme know!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diy, fashion, ideas