How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-09-2009
trendsetter

I bought some cute zippers a while ago (at mood! a fun trip! ) and still don't know what to do with them. They are cute and I don't want to waste them on something I'll end up not wanting anymore in a season. I have looked at pics of clothes in online stores that feature exposed zipper accents (there are a lot, it is definitely a trend), but I was wonder if anyone here has good ideas too.

*one is pale aqua colored fabric with silver tone zipper. It is about 19" long and separating (but my mom said we can make it not separating by sewing across the bottom if I want).

*the other is about 6" long and natural canvas color fabric (like the color of not-dyed muslin) and also has a silver toned zip. It is non-separating.

I love this exposed zipper thing but I don't know what to do! Should I start with an already made garment and just buy a cheap plain sweatshirt, man's undershirt T, or long-sleeve T and customize it somehow? Or should I try to buy some fashion jersey fabric and start from scratch? The only thing is where I live now I don't really have access to great fabric stores with great fabric selections. Like I'd be surprised if they had any modal at all or other nice comfy fashion fabrics....

So what should I do with the zippers? Suggestions? You guys seem pretty creative so I'm hoping! thanks in advance.

02-10-2009
In Bloom

Quote:
diy draped skirt

Jeg havde lidt stof tilovers fra min DIY kjole og kastede mig derfor ud i at lave en nederdel a lá Burberry Prorsum SS10. Det er faktisk ikke så svært, bortset fra at det kræver lidt tålmodighed.
1. Fold stoffet. Brug en tætsiddende og højtaljet nederdel som skabelon og klip ud med 1 cm sømrum.
2. Klip 8 bredde strimler på ca. 25 cm bredde og sy dem sammen to og to, så du ender med at have 4 lange rør.
3. Tag to rør og kryds dem over hinanden, så de får en draperet effekt. Gør det samme med de næste to.
4. Når de ligger som de skal på nederdelen, sætter du nåle fast hele vejen rundt. Tag derefter nederdelens bagstykke og sy sammen med forstykket.
Voila! Nederdelen gør sig faktisk bedre i virkeligheden end på billedet – fortryder dog lidt, at jeg ikke syede den i creme.
I had some leftover fabric from the DIY claret colored dress, so I decided to have a go at a skirt like the ones from Burberry Prorsum SS10. It’s not that hard – it just requires some patience.
1. Use a high-wasted bodycon skirt as a pattern. Leave 1cm for the seam as you cut.
2. Cut out 8 wide pieces – they should be approx 25cm wide. Sew them together in pairs so you’ll end up with 4 long tubes.
3. Cross two tubes to achieve a draped effect. Repeat with the remaining two.
4. Pin everything down all the way around then take the back of the skirt and attach it to the front piece.
Voilà! I think it looks better IRL – I’m just regretting that I didn’t do it in a creme color instead.
anywho.cover.dk

we were in love

Last edited by tFS Mod Squad; 03-10-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: removed links. tFS Policy
02-10-2009
windowshopping

That skirt came out beautifully.

rising star

beautiful job on the skirt-it's so nice!

02-10-2009
front row

few months ago i've contributed some idea to a magazine's website, and here it is:

The steps:

* Legging has a very "vulnerable" cloth type, so.. when you start cutting it, just a short horizontal line aroun 1-3 cm, you will have a perfect hole on your legging. in this picture, the holes on my legging are on the sides of the legging itself. you don't have to make them exactly like this. the key is, use your creativity! you could cut it just below the knee or only on the upper side of the legging. anything you want!

* If you're going make them like this, you just have to start cutting it well in random length between holes. i cut it every 1 cm i guess to make them look like this

* And VOILA! that's it.. you're ready to wear it In the website they tell you that i was going to use it right on.. and yes i did use it on the next day

Last edited by tFS Mod Squad; 03-10-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: please see tFS Rules.
11-10-2009
rising star

Ida, that skirt is FABULOUS!! If you have any more tips like those, please post them! You're so talented!

Just found these on J&J. If you're a whiz with a paintbrush, these Nicholas Kirkwoods look pretty easy to do on a standard pair of boring open-toed slingback boots. I'm picturing painting the whole shoe in that blue, green or red hue, then putting the black and white paint over the top... voila!

photo credit: Jak & Jil Blog

11-10-2009
rising star

Hmm...sorry Ida, I misread I didn't realise it wasn't you. Thanks for posting though

14-10-2009
windowshopping

This is what I made!

16-10-2009
In Bloom

^Brilliant!

we were in love

16-10-2009
front row

all these are so amazing you're all so creative

17-10-2009
rising star

Beautiful skirt on #122!

Last edited by IndayMae; 17-10-2009 at 05:09 AM.
25-10-2009
doldrums

I found this tutorial about altering tights into thigh highs helpful:

http://downwithclutter.blogspot.com/...om-tights.html

I practiced a bit it wasn't difficult to do. I need to loosen up the threads. I did them too small and it doesn't have enough stretch.

05-11-2009
front row

Skeleton Tee

http://youbettawork.wordpress.com/20...-skeleton-tee/

my results:

more at
practicallyprada.wordpress.com/

Last edited by ~Fixation~; 05-11-2009 at 02:36 AM.
11-11-2009
fashion insider

I want to make myself some hair accessories like what dolce and gabbana and chanel made for S/S 10, or even what eniko wears (that sort of star tiara).
I'm just a bit lazy right now because of school. ^^'

(but in the meanwhile, does anyone have ideas to make them? So that when I eventually have vacation I could try making them (haha meaning end of deccember :p))

In Bloom

Does anyone know how to make a skirt like this one?

4thandbleekeragency.com

we were in love

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diy, fashion, ideas