How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-04-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by aya_k View Post
if your'e in NYC i suggest you try the FIT store - i heard you can get them for around $300 there. Mine is Alvanon and it is amazing, i love working with it - removable arms etc...
Nah... I only get to NYC one day every few months. Most of that time is scurrying from one fabric supplier to another.

I recently brought in a range of PGM forms. I'm quite pleased with them. Though, I still have my eye on Tuka forms, eventually. As I said, before, it all depends on the sizing surveys of the market I'm working with.

25-04-2008
More Old Skool Than You

Make sure you know how to use them! In class we had the Wolf forms, and everyone was bitching about some of them were broken. So I went to my car and got a wrench, came back and fixed them. That pedal at the bottom is a clutch, you press it down and move the form up in height. Releasing the pedal locks it in place. Press it again and it slides down. So many people just pulled the damn things off the slides without thinking. You could probably find some that are 'broken' and there's nothing wrong with them. If the torso comes off at the top, put the ball head back on and tighten it with a wrench.

Also, some lean due to age, so use a plumb line (a bolt on a string works just as well) and check and re-mark the lines if you have to by holding one end of the string at the top and letting it hang.

Oh, and make sure if you see a collapsible one (where the shoulders fold in) that in the wood skeleton on the inside isn't sticking out by the shoulders. This will throw your measurements WAY off and you'll be pissed at me for buying a bad form.

I named mine after my ex, in a vain attempt to make it a voodoo doll with all the pins in it.

front row

I get my dressforms and mannequines from an Asian dealer in Queens, NYC. STUDIOROX.com They deliver. You can trust them!

Last edited by ChristionCouture; 25-04-2008 at 02:41 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dress, forms