How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-06-2005
slightly dizzy

I think it's a nice check!

12-06-2005
wabisabi*

i don't really know how to wear check

12-06-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

lovely softie! Great shades of blue.

I'm glad you started this thread because I have a dying question as well.

I have a pair of black bermuda shorts and when they were first washed a bunch of the black dye came out and so now they are sort of a faded black and I was wondering if I tried to dye the darker if it would work or what is the chance of success? I thought I could try and strip the color but I think that wuold end poorly because if I bleached it than the bleach would stay in the fabric and when i tried to redye it it wouldn't work well. Thoughts? Or am I stucked with faded shorts?

12-06-2005
slightly dizzy

Chances of success are only as good as the dye and process you're using. It's very possible to get great results!

If you bleach them, the bleach will wash out; it won't impede future dyes!

12-06-2005
backstage pass

I'm so glad we have this thread, I want to dye a few things myself but have never done it. Thanks for all the info, I will take some pictures when I become brave enough to start the dyeing!

12-06-2005
flaunt the imperfection

coldrice...check the article above...
there are special dyes for silk and wool...

i would be careful...becuase if part of the process is to dye the garment in HOT water...there is a great risk of the wool shrinking...
the website listed above seems to have special dyes for silk and wool...so maybe that's your best bet...

meg...
i would just go ahead and re-dye them in black...
why do you need to take the colour out unless you are dying them a different colour?...
but all dyes fade out of plant-based fibres....they will just fade again...
best bet is to dye them and then never wash them again (dry clean) or to hand wash in cold water only with a very gently soap...

i wash all my hand dyed stuff on gently cycle in cold water with dark colours in case the colour runs...because it usually will somewhat...

12-06-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

thanks for all the tips. think i will pick up some dye sometime this week and try it out

07-07-2005
backstage pass

Softgrey, SoCalledPrep, how are your colors holding up? Anyone else care to share experiences?

29-07-2005
V.I.P.

Silly question about this, please :p I check the website listed earlier, but I couldn't really find an answer...

I have a pair of cargos that are a bright, bright shade of orange. I feel like a pumpkin everytime I put them on I'm hoping I can salvage them by dying them a suitable shade. Can you dye something that's already constructed like that with pockets & flaps and such? May be a silly question, but I'm concerned that it might not dye evenly. Thanks for any insight

29-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphelle
Softgrey, SoCalledPrep, how are your colors holding up? Anyone else care to share experiences?

I used Rit black die to die my pink school bag and a white tank. The school bag is now plum and the beater turned out gray. I enjoy the tank top being gray because, I already had a black one The pink bag though... it's a beautiful plum color, but i wanted BLACK.

29-07-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious
Silly question about this, please :p I check the website listed earlier, but I couldn't really find an answer...

I have a pair of cargos that are a bright, bright shade of orange. I feel like a pumpkin everytime I put them on I'm hoping I can salvage them by dying them a suitable shade. Can you dye something that's already constructed like that with pockets & flaps and such? May be a silly question, but I'm concerned that it might not dye evenly. Thanks for any insight
it's fine...the way to get it more even is to stir it frequently and reposition it in the water...
even after you pull it out and let it dry...
you have to wash it once before wearing it...and the dye will even out more then...
it will also fade a bit, so be prepared for that...

i happen to like the dye to be somewhat uneven...so i sort of fold up the thing or twist it and just rearrange it once while it is soaking...so that i get a 'mottled' look...adds texture and interest...imo...

it's easier to dye something evenly if it is smaller i believe...cause the dye doesn't get caught in the folds so much...

my stuff is holding up fine and i may do this again soon...

31-07-2005
V.I.P.

Yay!! Thanks for the reassurance. Makes me happy to know I might be able to save them! I'm not sure what I was thinking about the color to begin with

18-03-2006
flaunt the imperfection

i did it again...
purple this time...

interesting results...
the things you add to the dye first are a very different colour than anything you might put in later...

*now i am thinking about dying a cashmere vest that i have...
it is really amazing and i love it ...
but it is currently a moss green...which is not so good for my complexion...
so i have never worn it...
i think i might try some black this time...
i also have a white victorian-style mutton slv blouse that is not 100% cotton..it is a jaquard stripe...
so it might be interesting to see how it takes some black dye...
i might even try to dye some crochet doilies that i have been trying to figure out what to do with...

i have a very bright fuschia dye that i have to figure out what to do with...

**curious...did you ever try it?...

Last edited by softgrey; 18-03-2006 at 01:29 AM.
18-03-2006
V.I.P.

no... my mending basket keeps growing and growing. Eeek!

I'm glad you posted this though! Puts it back in the forefront of the brain. Perhaps a weekend project? Now I have that smocked linen blouse with the unfortunate bleaching and a white T w/ a mysterious blue streak to tackle too :p What kind of dye are you using?

The blouse project sounds interesting! And the cashmere sweater... scary But, hey, you're not wearing it anyway so what have you got to lose. That's how I feel about the linen top.

Last edited by Curious; 18-03-2006 at 10:13 AM.
01-04-2006
rising star

Leather Jacket
Hello
I am not sure if this is the right place for this but i have just brought a beige leather jacket off ebay and want to dye it black. Does anyone have any advice.
leather.jpg
Ebay pic

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clothes, dyeing