How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-08-2004
V.I.P.

^^ I've always wondered... how short?

23-08-2004
offline.

I tell everyone i'm 5'2" cause that's what my license says... but i'm really like 5' or 4'11''

07-11-2004
EdK
trendsetter

does everyone hemm their jeans like paper denim. they are a bit long, but what do you guys do?

07-11-2004
backstage pass

Ask for an original hem.

07-11-2004
EdK
trendsetter

yea but i see people wear them long and cuff them or whatever, i wa just curious of what other people do. do you wear them long and drag them, cuff them in or out, or hemm them?

07-11-2004
V.I.P.

I hem my jeans and pants. But I have cuffed them if I really want to wear them but haven't found the time to hem.

15-08-2005
rising star

Hemming jeans
Hi, I recently bought a pair of jeans, which fits really well except 1.5 inch too long. I am thinking about cutting that much off with scissors by hand myself, but not sure how well it's gonna turn out. Anyone ever did that? Please give me some advice, thank you.

15-08-2005
scenester

it's very easy if you don't need to save the original hem. just cut the jeans about 1.5" longer than where you want them to end. fold twice (about .75" folds), iron and use a basic lockstitch with your sewing machine.

however, before you do this, make sure you have worn the jeans a bit (i usually go about a week for all the creasing to set) and washed them. both the shrinkage from washing and fabric bunching will shorten them a fair amount from when they were new.

16-08-2005
Procrastinator.

I cut my jeans all the time and it turns out just fine. It's not really an exact science -- I usually just fold the pair in half so the legs are lined up and I'll cut a little bit off, then try them on, then cut more off and so on until they're the perfect length. After you wash them, they'll get that frayed effect.

I don't like the way jeans look hemmed unless the original hem is reattached, which is just too much trouble for me.

16-08-2005
retro queen

I do it similarly to amblus but to avoid the newly hemmed look I sandpaper the crease with fine sandpaper to give it that worn-in look.

16-08-2005
rising star

I cut three hearts into my jeans and then cut them to Daisy Duke length... Not a good look.

16-08-2005
Proponent of Plaid

A hint from a dressmaker:

Stretch the fabric as much as you can while you are stitching it. It will help it weather into the sort of slightly corrugated hem you get on unaltered jeans. The gold-colored topstitching thread can be had from Coates & Clark and is well worth buying if you are short and generally have to alter your bluejeans. charlottesometimes is right on the money with the sandpaper. I recommend you wash the jeans at least twice to see where the puckers are going to fall in the hem, then hit them with the finest-grit sandpaper, lightly to rough up the edges just a little bit.

I make my own bluejeans from scratch, and have had many people say they'd never guess they were home-made!

windowshopping

I have my Nana do them for me because I am hopeless with a sewing machine. I've never thought about the sandpaper idea.

Why do I have to hem jeans? I am 5'7, which is above average and they are all too long. Maybe I am a short-legged girl?

22-08-2005
offline.

My mom hems all my jeans.... but 1.5 isn't that long.. are they cotton? they might shrink a lil?

23-08-2005
trendsetter

Great tips!

Make sure the back and the front are at the length you want...not necessarily straight accross.

Maybe obvious, but if youre not sure, err on the long side!

I would pin the hem down after ironing and before stitching but maybe thats because I'm not so adept.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hemming, jeans