How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-09-2005
windowshopping

short and proud!
The link below doesn't work for me. and sadly johnspicer (s) email addy doesn't work for me. I have about 4in of extra jean at the bottom. Since I wear flats even "petite" pants don't fit.

What I want to know is how do I reattach the original hem that I cut off? I just got a serger so if this is the way I am out of touch. I am imagining that the reattached hem will end up so over stitched that the pant bottom will be stiff and not have the flow that the original has.

Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAT829
There is a much easier way to hem jeans!!! And when you do it this way, you are using the original hem that the jeans came with, so you don't have to wash them a million times or use cheese graters. I found a website that does a nice job of explaining the process. It even shows you pictures each step of the way.

Click here to check it out

Or copy and paste the link below:
https://www.jammfactory.net/zc/hem-l....aspx?ref=none

07-09-2005
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemiu
robing with sand paper
good idea

07-09-2005
rising star

There is a Word .doc file on how to save the original hem that you can download here.

It appears like what you are really doing is not "reattaching" a hem that has been removed, but rather pinching off the section of fabric that is causing the jeans to be too long. The pictures show this better than I can describe...

11-09-2005
rising star

Oooh, this thread rocks! I'm a shortie too (almost 5'3 but not quite!) and I always have to get my jeans hemmed. I like to buy them at Ron Herman/ Fred Segal because they always do it for me with the original hems and there's no charge... It cost $18 at Nordstroms for original hems and $10 for regular hems.. Usually it's $20 for original hems at the local tailor's shop and $10-15 for regular... Are those the prices y'all pay or is it a horrible Los Angeles rip off?

20-07-2008
trendsetter

I've looked online for various ways to hem jeans and here is a compiled list of different techniques.

DaciaRay.com

FigandPlum.com

Sewnews.com

Onegirldesignwrks

Explanation of what an original hem is

Sewing.org

Flickr.com

patternreview.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hemming, jeans