How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-09-2005
More Old Skool Than You

Here's a magazine cover I did...
I have an online class, the history of graphic design, as I'm studying graphic design now.

I did a quick cover about the effect war has on music. I got this idea listening to Jimi Hendrix and I was thinking about how we now have songs that just bitch about the President and what he's doing, and how that influences the way people think. And usually it's the same people that act like they don't like the media, except when it's on their side. But we all use information to our advantage, right?

Anyway, I love Jimi Hendrix's song "Machine Gun". It's off the Band of Gypsys album, 1970. I like it because he's not bitching. He's describing a scene, and you're free to make up your own opinions of the war. Hendrix was also a member of the 101st Airborne division of the US Army, and the song was dedicated to the soldiers at the time. It reminds me of the Woodstock performance of the "Star Spangled Banner", and how he tore it apart and even played "Taps". I see it as a representation of how the country was torn apart, but still respected the sacrifices of those defending people they never met, in a country they never knew.

So here it is. I appreciate ANY kind of criticism.

Last edited by fourboltmain; 16-09-2005 at 05:30 AM.

16-09-2005
V.I.P.

I know nothing about graphic design,but I did grow up in that era and I think your cover displays some of the feelings about the Vietnam war that was going on at that time.

16-09-2005
V.I.P.

AWESOME

Oh how I would LOVE to actually see that covered in that rag...

16-09-2005
trendsetter

Thats awesome! I wish Newsweek would publish a cover like that! If I could make one small suggestion, it would be to maybe take out the blue on the soldier holding the gun. But besided that its perfect. Nice work!

20-09-2005
Eat me, drink me

Nice! That's a very attention-getting cover. The only thing I have to say is that, in the contrast of the image, the logo for Newsweek is "lost". And....that is all. : )

20-09-2005
front row

Great pic!
Em, dunno much about graphics, but I guess u can play more around with the fonts.

21-09-2005
More Old Skool Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by two months off
Nice! That's a very attention-getting cover. The only thing I have to say is that, in the contrast of the image, the logo for Newsweek is "lost". And....that is all. : )
I was thinking that too, as well as the type on the bottom. Hmm... I'll figure something out.

windowshopping

I like how the cover is very busy but not distracting which is good, though I would tone the blue down a bit.

One thing I have to comment on, however - I think the fonts you used for the headline title, their colour and position/size doesn't work. To be honest with you, they look cheap and lower the visual standard you would expect from such a high profile publication. I would either remove them entirely or make them more prominent with a different colour.

In that respect, even the use of such bold colours is risky in a way, as it ultimately projects a subjective interpretation of an event, in this case a war, but let's leave this discussion out of this thread.

As a design job, though, without political implications - well done.

03-12-2005
windowshopping

The cover is a little busy for me. Is that Hendrix carrying the machine gun? Newsweek would be more likely to use ONE image of Hendrix from the 101st and have the issue title stand out more.

03-12-2005
backstage pass

I like how the cover is noticeable...

06-12-2005
More Old Skool Than You

I almost forgot about this! Having an Army picture of Hendrix would be awesome, but the guy is actually one of the soldiers sculpted for the Veitnam War Memorial. I'm going to tweak this a bit... I like the input.

princely

dont know why i havent seen this before, but excellent cover fourbolt! I can sense the feelings coming out of it..

21-01-2006
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

very cool cover though theres something about the tittle and fonts that you wud've probably done better.

22-01-2006
V.I.P.

The colours and graphics look great but I would do something with the font and border, make it bolder and a tiny bit more detailed.

22-01-2006
front row

WOW great work..im studying CIS and wanna major in graphics..

any thing you can advice me?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cover, magazine