How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-07-2005
windowshopping

How to Bleach / Fade Clothes
I've got a jacket that is cotton in a baby pink color and am hoping to fade it - is it possible to do? I would love it if it were white.

08-07-2005
crossed wires.

I've faded a couple of things lately. The lighter it is in the first place, the easier it is to do. I ripped up some old black cargo pants and kept them in a watered down bleach, they hadn't changed dramatically but they're a kinda patchy brown/earthy red. I did a camel coloured pashmina type scarf made of acrylic, and it came out floorless, it was just off white, a bit cream coloured, and I much prefer the colour it is now the the goldy/camel it was . If you're willing to possibly lose a garment in the process then do it. If you dont think the bleach is taking affect at first then add a bit more. I used household bleach, but you can use a kind that doesnt give a yellowy (cream) tint, I think that's more used for bleaching clothes etc...you'll have to look into it more I'm not entirely sure. You've gotta move it around in the bleach a bit too so it gets to the creases...and it might not take to the stitching, so you could be left with a cream/white jacket with pink stitching?...Hope this helps a bit...if not confusing you

windowshopping

^ thank you!! i thought about bleach - have you ever tried those fast fade from rit?

08-07-2005
crossed wires.

I've never heard of the fast fade thing before...just good ol' household bleach diluted for me. The fast fade...if it's intended for garments sounds better because you'll probably get a more white appearance to it afterwards.

Welcome to tfs by the way!

windowshopping

^ thank you i am a rookie here! a friend tipped me to that new york street style thread and now i'm hooked

i'm going to try the bleach this weekend. i think it could turn out just fine! how much do you dilute it?

08-07-2005
elementary.

agreed !
just plain old bleach does the job !

crossed wires.

Glad to have you onboard
Last time I bleached I put about 4/5 capfuls into about a handful deep of water in a bucket (when the garment was in) I would put about the same amount in, and just see how it goes, if it doesn't seem to be taking, put in a couple more caps, give it a stir with something too just so its even. If you put some rubber gloves on and kinda unfold it, then refold it differently so the bleach takes to the creases. I wish you luck for it and hope you don't ruin your jacket...mind you...if you're not wearing it already then you don't really have anything to lose...just a white/cream jacket to gain

Tell us how it goes!

windowshopping

thank you guys! i'm going to work on it this weekend - hopefully it'll turn out ok! but yes - i have not worn it in probably five or six months - i went through a weird pink phase right at the end of winter for God only knows what reason

i'm so excited! thank you very much all for the help!

31-07-2009
Storm &amp;amp;amp; Sommer

I have some extremely bright felt that I want to bleach.. however.. I tried to gradually bleach it.. and NOTHING happened.. not even when I left the test patch in undiluted household chlorine for a good 2 hours!
This is just stubborn felt! Any suggestions ?

pinterest : hanneonpin
01-08-2009
rising star

^
if your fabric is from synthetic fiber *especially if it's 100% synthetic fiber*, it's impossible to fade it or to dye it, w/o damaging the fabric.

Storm &amp;amp;amp; Sommer

^ It probably is then..
I got it very cheaply..and there was no description on what it was made off..oh well

pinterest : hanneonpin
03-08-2009
V.I.P.

if you're curious, you can do a burn test... to see what fibre it is made of
http://www.fabrics.net/fabricsr.asp

there is a lot of warnings at the top of the page and while it's good advice, it's not really that scary.. you can just cut a long thin strip and put the edge of it over a candle or match light...

19-08-2009
scenester

i have blue denim that want to bleach and wonder what color would be turn into.
whats the ratio between water and bleach if you want to bleach your denim?
also how long should i wait?

29-08-2009
Fashion Designer

i tried to dye very dark denim and bleach it out so i could use it for a balmain-esque jacket but it didnt work out, the denim was insanely pigmented i used a lot of bleach first in a bucket then in the washing machine but it went from dark dark blue to medium blue, i didnt leave it for more than two hours in there because i was afraid the fabric would end up too fragile and tear up easily. IT wasnt a denim jacket, it was just denim i blugh from the fabric store so it wasnt bleached before, anyone knows what to do?

29-08-2009
front row

oo, this is so perfect!! I'm current in the middle of bleaching my jeans, I'm trying to make it like the balmain distressed almost white jeans.... it's coming out really really well so far, I'm so excited!!!

This was actually a 2 day endeavor, I soaked my jeans in a bucket of water and about 3 cups of bleach for maybe 5 hours. My jeans turned from a dark blue to a light blue. I wanted them lighter and more of the acid wash look, so I filled up the bucket just enough to cover the jeans, but some of the jeans were poking through the water, and it was half water and half bleach. Then I scrunched up the jeans and let it soak for another 5 hours. I sometimes took them out of the water and re-scrunched it. And now after all this time it's finally turning out!! Have patience friends :p

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bleach, clothes, fade