How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-12-2008
V.I.P.

what about inside of the pleat?
the part that is not exposed

17-12-2008
Fashion Designer

the thing is that i dont want to stitch it together cause that will mean that the pleat would hang flat like a school uniform skirt, all even pleats on top of another, i just want the effect of pleated paper sort to say. if you pleat a paper sheet, then stretch it a litle, the marks will stay, righ? i want that on fabric.....i know its possible like the purple dress but im not sure if just ironing is enough for it to stay after washing it, do i have to use high temperature like almost burn it for it to stay? i think ill better do it on a piece of fabric and see if it works

17-12-2008
rock-chic

If you stitch the top of the pleats, it will give you a guide, but pleating = pressing, and I don't think there's any getting away from it

V.I.P.

i see what you mean now
sorry though i have no idea

but hey the Delphos dress method you posted earlier, that's the closest for sure
i have pleated poly organza in a binder and it gets a lot of beating.. :p still pleated. i suggest using a respirator and having good air circulation when doing it

17-06-2009
Fashion Designer

i couldnt just gve up on this and kept on searching. Ive found the arashi shibori method can be pretty useful for this but as ive never tried it, and know you have gius, maybe you can share with us?

So far i ve only found this pole wrapping thing, and it seems like it works but im not sure what to do if i only want to do vertical pleats? what about a long lets say 2 yards of fabric?

entwinements
as you can see the pleats are really tiny and pretty close to the fortuny technique
she wrapped it diagonally to have pleats on different directions but the lenght of the fabric afects the finishing? i mean the longer the fabric the thicker it gets ont he pole, maybe the string wont work? and finally the dye has anything to do with it? i mean i dont care about the color or discharge water or watever, i just want to know if ths works to preserve the pleats just by boiling them? is it the same working with silk like above or any other fabrics?

20-06-2009
V.I.P.

i think it's just her photo that makes the pleats look fine.. the thread she's using is fairly thick. a resulting pleat/ridge might be a little less than 0.5cm in total, with that kind of fabric
i'd like to try to make a really fine one too

so you want to put vertical pleats on a 2 yard long fabric
you can definitely do that but make sure to keep the fabric even on the pole.
like if you were to wrap the second layer of fabric accidentally on the bias, your pleats will change direction and so will the first layer of fabric (it will have a crisscross pattern)

don't need to dye it.
make sure you have very good ventilation (even if you smell nothing.)
you remove the string only after it is bone dry. air dry is best

we met an artist in class, who used a special silk from japan
gunma silk... seemed expensive
it has a natural gum that makes it stiff. and instead of boiling the silk, she just washes it and lets it air dry. it forms the pleats that way too, but it's dry clean only afterwards.
she also invented some way to make it dry faster--
she put the fabric in a sort of box with good air circulation... i can't remember exactly, but it didn't seem complicated.

so, if you want your project easy to care for, while permanent, synthetic is best
i've only tried polyester but not acetate or nylon , others...

--

so through this whole thread daniellat, you were more interested in making a texture that's like pleats?
or were you also interested in making an ordinary pleated skirt permanent?

premierschoolwear.com

Last edited by gius; 14-10-2009 at 02:33 AM.
20-06-2009
Fashion Designer

i had my doubts about that method too. i dont think the pleats would end up even and straigt. but i just cant get it out of my head now lol

i want it to add texture tot he fabric, these examples in particular

amazon
flickr- oliviarose

20-06-2009
V.I.P.

those are pretty :p maybe you could use that pleating board you posted on the 1st page.. and then steam the fabric. i saw a video of issey miyake doing that with his fabrics

you're right also,-- if you were to layer the fabric on the pole for the 2 yrds, it would gradually get thicker and the pleats would end up bigger
and yes the pleats are uneven.. i guess you could be a little more careful.. using something like chiffon? and a finer thread and moving the threads one by one to make the pleats all the same size

i thought it might look nice though. the unevenness. Especially for dyeing, you get a very nice spontaneous texture

19-07-2009
unspecified

gius, i made this thread in order to find out if there is a way to make a pleated permanent without an industrial machine. given that you can dye a fabric at home with natural vegetables and no chemical product, there could be something natural like potatoe juice or something like that that would make a pleat permanent. if you make that skirt, you would have to iron it after you washed it to keep the pleats in place.
that system you said, with the silk's own natural gum would be a case of what i was searching for.
nevertheless, natural silk is so expensive, i'm sure it's hard to find. so if there are other ways, i'm listening:p

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
19-07-2009
front row

Fortuny used (of course the best silk) and held his pleats with a special glue. The ingredients of said glue were elaborated upon (as much as is known anyway) in the book "Fortuny" by Anne-Marie Deschodt as well as his method of hand pleating his wife and assistants would employ. It's been some years since I've read that book, so the info is sketchy - sorry.

19-07-2009
V.I.P.

another one who does really fine pleats is Alix Gres
from what i've read she does each fold by hand..

Last edited by gius; 19-07-2009 at 11:26 PM.
08-06-2012
Fashion Designer

Few years gone by and I still can't find a pleating machine. It seems like the only way is to do it by hand. Apparently, every designer outsource it to Lognon in Paris

vivaladaisy

Last edited by daniellat; 26-01-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typo
22-01-2013
windowshopping

If you're still looking for a pleater board, Mr. Pleater makes them in a few different sizes.

Mr. Pleater

11-02-2013
windowshopping

you can do it by hand if you really need to. it just requires a very hot iron, a sewing gauge (or a non-melting ruler), and lots of time/ patience. if you're using it for something where the wrong side isn't visible, i would fuse it as well.

but if you're going for delicate, soft, and frequent pleats (like in the lucy liu picture), i would just get it professionally done. you don't need to outsource it to a different continent, just find one locally, or wherever the nearest industrial city is located. you'll probably find something. i know there are quite a few here in toronto. some require a minimum yardage (approx. 3 yards), but i know at least one place will pleat even a small chunk of fabric, if thats all you need pleated.

23-03-2013
fashion elite

^Thanks Jila!
I want to pleat velvets, but so far I haven't found the ideal method for straight pleats. A pleater board doesn't work with velvets unfortunately. I also tried fusible interfacing. Has anyone other ideas or pointers? TIA!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fabric, handpleat