How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-02-2009
V.I.P.

that's cute^ very Marni

20-02-2009
windowshopping

I finished another sweater at the end of last year. It doesn't look that interesting laid out, but fits pretty nicely--I'll try to get photos when I wear it.

23-02-2009
rock-chic

I have nearly finished this (on the second sleeve). I don't know how clear the yarn I am using is, but knitted up, it has a velvety texture. Instead of a cord in the neckline, I am using very fine black velvet ribbon. Will post pics of it when I have finished.
source: Sirdar Spinning Ltd magazine
scanned by me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sirdar 8505.jpg (99.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by gius; 26-02-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: added credits
25-02-2009
tea time

i finished a large chunky circle scarf/snood for my uni project its so soft and comfy i should really post a pic.

i was just wondering if anyone had a knitting machine to create those finer knits?

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
26-02-2009
rising star

Can anybody help me to find web site similar to etsy? Or where do you sell your knittings?...

26-02-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance.Is.Refusal. View Post
i finished a large chunky circle scarf/snood for my uni project its so soft and comfy i should really post a pic.

i was just wondering if anyone had a knitting machine to create those finer knits?
I have a lady asking me to trade my loom for her knitting machine.. Still deciding I've played with one before and it seemed a bit confusing. I guess you always have to change the many needles it has in order to change from knitting a thick fabric to a fine one?

26-02-2009
tea time

i've never used a knitting machine i have only ever hand knitted but we have some at uni and people seem to pick it up straight away and i would quite like to do some finer knit garmets. one of my friends said you can pick them up quite easily because people dont want to use them anymore and pretty much want to get rid of them if you can get your hands on one thats how he got his.

i was just wondering how easy people found them to knit with and all the weights etc you have to have with them!?

gius i never knew you had a loom!

Last edited by Elegance.Is.Refusal.; 26-02-2009 at 10:30 PM.
01-03-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingFrAbsolution View Post
I can't knit but my mom always does it, she made me this sweater, I wear it as a jacket
Amazing sweater! :p

Here is my knitted skirt (inspired by Rodarte):
...details...

Last edited by ivoreece; 01-03-2009 at 11:43 AM.
01-03-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
i've never used a knitting machine i have only ever hand knitted but we have some at uni and people seem to pick it up straight away and i would quite like to do some finer knit garmets. one of my friends said you can pick them up quite easily because people dont want to use them anymore and pretty much want to get rid of them if you can get your hands on one thats how he got his.

i was just wondering how easy people found them to knit with and all the weights etc you have to have with them!?

i can ask the lady that has the machine..

yes, i use a LeClerc jack loom :p
i have to let go of it though.. since I'm moving to a smaller place
but thank god just last night i found someone selling a table loom for a $100..

01-03-2009
tea time

when i settle down and have the room i actually dream of having a loom room

im gona try and take a picture of my large comfy scarf tomorow

01-03-2009
V.I.P.

i have a loom room ok i'm getting off-topic..

Do you ever know why people want to get rid of the knitting machines?
I guess it's the same as floor looms.. They're just so big.. Myself I often like to do samples and small fabrics, I don't want to do a 'test' right away on a big floor loom. There would be a lot of material go to waste because of the size.. I have asked the lady also the dimensions of the knitting machine. She is offering me an Indian Head spinning wheel too..

--maybe marketing will be my next adventure :p..
i would like to learn about spec sheets and promotions too..

01-03-2009
tea time

thats pretty much it because of the size of them and perhaps not using them as often as they should, who knows i'd love one some day.

01-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:

I've been knitting with my domestic for almost a year now, and I've found it relatively straightforward to pick up new techniques. Of course knitting with the Dubied machines at uni helped a great deal, but as long as you understand the basic principles of knit (knit and purl stitches etc) I think you can get along fine with just an instruction manual (maybe some initial help in the beginning). I taught myself intarsia and cables over the summer just by reading the manual, so I'd recommend working through it so you understand what your machine can do. The weights are fine, they don't really get in the way.

02-03-2009
V.I.P.

so you mean the thinness of the needles of the machine isn't specific to the weight of fabric it can make? fine, thick etc ...

03-03-2009
mie
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
so you mean the thinness of the needles of the machine isn't specific to the weight of fabric it can make? fine, thick etc ...
For knitting machines, the weight of the knit depends on both needle size (as in hand-knitting) and the spacing of the needles (which I don't think is adjustable).

I don't actually have one, though, so, you know, grain of salt and all that.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
knitted, knitting, reptilephilia