How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-07-2009
front row

Lighting In Photography
I was wondering if any of you knew how to achieve certain lighting techniques in photography (like in these pictures). It's the sometimes grainy and over-exposed hipster type look.

tips would be appreciated!

from rollingstone.com and wildfoxcouture.com

Last edited by timemachinedream; 12-07-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: credit images

13-07-2009
backstage pass

You could, I guess, achieve that effect in photoshop. Or you could invest in a medium format film-camera.

13-07-2009
V.I.P.

i don't know much about using flashes with photography, but to me it looks like they're using a special type of speedlight

windowshopping

First i think is terry richardson and he use generally 1 flashlight build-in camera second can be ARRI continuous light or flash there is so manny ways to achieve it.

regards

19-07-2009
V.I.P.

here are some other threads you might find useful

Photography Tech Talk ... Gear, Lighting, Studios, Resources, Etc. See Post#1.
Photo editors and manipulators thread
Digital art using Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. - Share your work, tips, critiques!

you could also look around other photo threads in Entertainment Spot or DIY forum where people post their own work and ask for advice

Last edited by gius; 19-07-2009 at 01:39 AM.
19-07-2009
trendsetter

The backdrop also makes a difference, judging from these pictures, a light background such helps.

windowshopping

i barely ever post. so i figure i'll just ad my 2cents here and there..

looking at both of them, it's pretty clear they've used artificial light. probably flash, cos i don't really know anyone who shoots with constant light. not for fashion anyway. Specific to both, the shadows are not hard. very soft. so both lit with a soft box, or at least bounced. Although the top picture is pixelated i can't really tell. but i assume i can see a slight shadow on their right hand side (our left) so there' definately direction. but not hard at all. just off center. the bottom there's little shadow at all. either it's filled in well (with secondry lights, or reflectors) or maybe they're using a ring flash.

For something grainy, unless you're shooting with film it doesn't apply to digital so much (it still does. just in different ways..) but the faster film you use, the larger the grain. With faster film, you need less light. either you have a huge depth of field, or like EletricAlyse said a medium format camera which depth of field is reduced as you move up to large formats. As for overexposed, like the first photo- looking at the highlights onthe face, i would assume it's makeup more than most. although possibly a hard flash/low powered, far away to bounce it back into camera to give that shine on their cheeks.

As for colour, there's not much to the first. but the second has been graded quite nicely. I bet it's all done in post, there could be filters on the camera but it seems quite selective so i wouldn't think so. same with having gels on the flash- it's more the shadows that are affected.
colouring shadows is possible. just more difficult to get right sometimes. so i assume it's done in post. if it is i think you jus thave to notice that overall the picture looks pretty cyan, if you have your monitor a little brighter you can see the blacks aren't black (not in the hair anyway) and are clearly a blue/purple colour. would also explain the lack of shadow and how it's quite deep in the corners compared to on her.
one thing i find important to know is learning how to add colour to your photos. if you can't push the colours you've already got overlaying ontop works quite nicely. esp. for colouring shadows and nothing else/selected areas.

that was a bit messy. but i hope it helps

08-09-2009
front row

The second look could be created in photoshop using the "selective color" tool. The reds and cyans have been desaturated to create a more surreal look. Using "diffuse glow" will create the same sort of luminosity seen here as well.

28-09-2009
windowshopping

Maybe someone know how to achieve these kind of effect ?

07-10-2010
windowshopping

Timemachinedream: I stdy photography, and my teacher told us that Terry Richardson uses a disposablecamera.

16-12-2010
rising star

hmm i'm really interested in this thread! another tfs-er said that terry r. used to do film but now he's mainly digital

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lighting, photography