How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-04-2007
V.I.P.

I'm going to take some classes at a fabric store soon, and hopefully have fun.

30-04-2007
front row

I used to think of anything, start simple, maybe a top, and try some odd ways of making them. You'll be surprised of what you end up with.

Or if you have an old item that you cant really wear anymore but love the shape, why not take it apart and use it as your pattern? Then you can reproduce it a few times.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
I am sorry if there's a similar thread, but I didn't know where to look from.

I have trouble finding clothing I like, but I do have strong images of what I would like my clothing to be. I don't know how to sew (properly), make patterns or designs, but is it possible to start designing and making your own clothes? Can someone tell how to get started?
I got similar worry... I like painting but not professional at it at all.
I have no idea about sewing and pattern making, both of them are too complex for me But I tried another way of making my cloth which I hope could be a bit helpful to you.

That's the fabric I got from textile market in Shanghai, printed silk, 1.5 meter long, 1.2 meter wide.

It's not my design but the silk dress I saw in a store that I shopping frequently, it's expensive about RMB 900, (US$ 120). The pattern is so eye-catching and fabulous, the design is simple (so I can keep it in my mind:p ). There is also bodyruler in that store, I measured it quickly after my purchasing and payment. Then I drew this sketch and show it to the tailor.

Sorry about the Chinese word on the sketch, it means length of dress: 90cm

03-05-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by laisla
Im also going to start making my own clothes. In fact Im sitting down with a pen in hand and sketching a few designs. Im cheating a bit by taking huge "inspiration" from some catwalk designs that I like before I start really designing my own clothes.

I love a lot of designer clothes but they are so far out of my budget. I hope to make my own versions of these designs but for a fraction of the price.

I hope to start making dresses and other clothes from scratch soon. If it goes well [fingers crossed] Ill share some photos of my stuff here.
system error, the post that I replied you were all lost

I saw many people at textile market showing catwalk pic to tailor (normally also fabrics shop owner) "I wanna this one". However, it's not that simple to copy one dress or coat, many factors must be taken into account, and fabric is of great importance.

I agree with your mom absolutely the fabric are cheap but the ready-made clothes in stores are many times more expensive, but they have their reasons.

Before making clothes, I have no idea about fabrics, even differences between cotton knit and wool, artificial and silk . After getting my first tailorshop dress, I can not stop it at all! I enjoy the fun and the knowledges that I got from making clothes--fabric seeking, design choosing, sketch drawing, excited waiting....

Good luck and looking forward to your first work!

03-05-2007
rising star

The popular mini dress with colorful dots. I got its design from one magazine.

03-05-2007
fashion elite

"dont run before you can walk".
^ thank you for your tips. karma

I have literally just finished this. I decided to make a VERY simple bag to get used to cutting, sewing and finishing fabric. Apart from a few hicups it was all very easy to do. Considering its the first thing I have ever made, Im pretty pleased with the result.

Its nothing special but Im sure it will come in useful at some point. Even if i just put groceries in it. Hopefully I'll have something a bit more interesting to show you all next time., Im planning on making a top *nervous*

p.s the colour is black not grey or navy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0009.JPG (156.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0006.JPG (113.1 KB, 0 views)

03-05-2007
rising star

Quote:
^ thank you for your tips. karma

p.s the colour is black not grey or navy
I guess the pic on righthand is more true to the real color? It's great(navy is also a good choice:p )! If I were you, I will be very pleased with it I can put note books, psp, makeup bags, ipod...etc inside (How come I took your bag as mine )

Well, it's basic one and going well with many clothes. You can add any decoration that you like in furture let it become "advanced"! Then you will see your progress:p Let's do it step by step

My first tailorshop dress (not made by myself at all ) is a woolen little black dress, I wanna it similar as the one that Audrey Hepburn wore in the movie "Love in the afternoon". However I found laterly there were many differences from Audreys', but it's the best that I can do at that time--for my first experience. Taste the sweetness of it, find what has been ignored and need to be improved, then make progress. Karma!

03-05-2007
V.I.P.

Oh, I haven't made any progress with my project! Laisla, I like your bag. Mini_me, I am glad you found this thread, I like seeing what you have sewn.

fashion elite

thanks, guys.

Im in the mood to start "designing" something now.

I just thought of something else that might be helpful. My mum told me that making a pattern with newspaper is really a good idea because its so cheap!

03-05-2007
rising star

Quote:
thanks, guys.

Im in the mood to start "designing" something now.

I just thought of something else that might be helpful. My mum told me that making a pattern with newspaper is really a good idea because its so cheap!
Absolutely! I have one pattern making book left in Shanghai, there are sth about how to make basics, I could scan it after back to shanghai. Also, make clothes for barbie doll is another good idea, good example for ..how to say, cubic cut?

03-05-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
Oh, I haven't made any progress with my project! Laisla, I like your bag. Mini_me, I am glad you found this thread, I like seeing what you have sewn.
They are my first sewing work the material is sth for T-shirt, but the best choice is satin or silk which is too slippery for catching, especially when try to sew it for the first time

25-05-2007
trendsetter

wow. I love those flowers! How did you make them? They remind me of Philip Lim.
I used to make crappy t shirts when I was about 15/16 without a sewing machine, without measuring myself or anything! I'm thinking about getting back into it as I've always wanted a dress similar to a gorgeous Chanel I saw in the OC. Need to figure out how to use the sewing machine first!
Do any of you buy readymade patterns or is it possible to make your own? Will i need to buy one of the books mentioned on the previous page to do this?

25-05-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra8715 View Post
wow. I love those flowers! How did you make them? They remind me of Philip Lim.
I used to make crappy t shirts when I was about 15/16 without a sewing machine, without measuring myself or anything! I'm thinking about getting back into it as I've always wanted a dress similar to a gorgeous Chanel I saw in the OC. Need to figure out how to use the sewing machine first!
Do any of you buy readymade patterns or is it possible to make your own? Will i need to buy one of the books mentioned on the previous page to do this?
Sorry about my late response!:p I hope those pics would be helpful.
Also, sorry about my poor english...
Fold it... cut it...and, stitch, just like dumpling,or Grandma Wolf's hat? stitch them tight together and the bottom of flower must be aligned

26-05-2007
trendsetter

Thank you so much!
Karma for you...

26-05-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra8715 View Post
Thank you so much!
Karma for you...
You are welcome The best material is silk but it's not good for first try because it is too slippery to catch

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clothes, making