How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-08-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylauda View Post
I went through my stepdad's closet and found a shirt. It's a little tough to get on whichever way I try to..but I folded it and it looked pretty cool.
Photos please!

29-08-2007
front row

i'm also going to start working on a few pieces for myself for fall soon... glad i found this thread!!

i have no need to go fabric shopping, because i kinda hoard it... my studio space is like a fabric store... so much of everything! so far i've pulled out:

- a big, wide piece of charcoal wool jersey (probably 3-4 yards)
- azalea-colored duchesse satin
- cream-colored corded lace with a nice drape
- amazing black chiffon with oversized checkerboard pattern woven into it w/beigey-gold lurex ( !!! )
- lightweight heathered grey cotton knit
- black/grey linen/silk woven w/a bit of a sheen and teensy slubs
- eggplant silk organza

i have it all laid out and am waiting for it to speak to me

will post updates as i go... i've sketched a little but still am not 100% on what i'm making yet... the chiffon/lurex stuff will probably be a drapey sleeveless top for layering, but other than that am not settled on any shapes yet.

yay for sewing!

30-08-2007
V.I.P.

awesome! i just finshed a black rayon/linen blend dress i'll have to take pics of. im going to get my beloved wool today! yahoo! i'll post pics of my pallette and sketches too

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
09-09-2007
V.I.P.

I really want to make a simple tote bag... and screenprint out a nice picture!

V.I.P.

i just picked up some white cotton/silk satin, white voile and this floral stuff to do some dresses reminiscent of chloe s/s 06. i started on that rust swing coat, and once again realized why it's always so much better making your own patterns as opposed to buying one....the fit is awful, so i have to do some alterations...many many alterations...and it was a vogue pattern too :crybaby:

i also picked up some natural gauze with gold flecks and some blood red striped shirting. im really in need of dresses, so that's what i've been making for the most part. im really inspired by chloe s/s 06 dresses, the colors from marc jacobs fall 2007 collection, and then vintage inspiration.

i found this awesome cut of silk/wool/spandex i picked up late in the year last year...and forgot about, so im going to make that up into an equestrian type coat i think...very victorianana

16-09-2007
backstage pass

After reading through a few pattern making books, I have decided to try and start making my own patterns. I will update when I have made some things.

16-09-2007
V.I.P.

you guys have so much energy
i'm gonna try and finish up my patterns this week..hopefully
or at the least, i will have the bodice + sleeves finished
i have quite a lot of other work to do :S

16-09-2007
More Old Skool Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
you guys have so much energy
You're obviously not talking to me. In my draping class I brought a staple gun because I hate spending so much time with pins.

V.I.P.

Question: If I do a trenchcoat, but can only find a pattern for a woman's trench, can I use that and make one for men simply by mirroring the pattern? Or are there more differences?

16-09-2007
fashion elite

im making this little smock shirt right now.. its getting a bit frustrating only because i measured three parts the right way and one part the wrong way. =[
pics when im done!

17-09-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_a_Licious View Post
Question: If I do a trenchcoat, but can only find a pattern for a woman's trench, can I use that and make one for men simply by mirroring the pattern? Or are there more differences?

i would actually not do that, as most womens patterns have darts or seams to accentuate the bust line. if you could find maybe a mens suit or jacket pattern that had an open front, it'd be easier to just extend the pattern with lapels, a double breasted front, etc....trenches are basically basic jackets with added areas in the collars, pockets, and front. you could use a picture for referance of where all these lil details go, but the basic fit is most important. hope that helps.

17-09-2007
V.I.P.

Merci! Cause I read that there is a pattern of a Burberry Prorsum Trench around...

27-09-2007
backstage pass

What are some sites devoted to DIY fashion/ making clothes? I am itching to see some people's creations.

30-09-2007
windowshopping

i can recommend to start by talking with an experienced tailor or pattern maker in your area. books aren't bad either but i learn a lot from our tailors and its just so different if someone explains you everything hands on.

if you can't find a tailor maybe a sewing class might also offer information about patternmaking.

02-10-2007
rising star

For those of you that can offer a bit of advice, what brand/sort of sewing machine did you buy to begin with?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clothes, making