How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-03-2007
V.I.P.

Making your own clothes?
I am sorry if there's a similar thread, but I didn't know where to look from.

I have trouble finding clothing I like, but I do have strong images of what I would like my clothing to be. I don't know how to sew (properly), make patterns or designs, but is it possible to start designing and making your own clothes? Can someone tell how to get started?

28-03-2007
V.I.P.

... it is definitely possible. We do have another thread on this--there are a lot of people making clothing in the Sewing thread, but how about we keep this thread just for fashion/clothing design by TFSers? A thread for something closer to discussing/presenting construction techniques, experimental cuts, experimental shapes, fabrics...? I find the Sewing thread is filled with a lot of something else that I don't really know the name for
It would be cool if we got some of the members from TFS Design central thread to come here, if they were able to make their designs.

To get started, go to a public library or someone you know
and get a book on pattern drafting (or you could buy one).
You can tell if it's right book
if it has pages on how to measure yourself,
pages with basic patterns and underneath there should be some instructions (take A to C, connect B to H, etc.)
If you really, really cannot find a book like this, I will find some time to scan some pages from my book.

Next is the sewing machine...

Last edited by gius; 01-05-2007 at 02:03 AM.
28-03-2007
V.I.P.

Thanks for answering! I have a sewing machine at home, I just have to check does it still work. I will try to get to library tomorrow

fashion elite

Im also going to start making my own clothes. In fact Im sitting down with a pen in hand and sketching a few designs. Im cheating a bit by taking huge "inspiration" from some catwalk designs that I like before I start really designing my own clothes.

I love a lot of designer clothes but they are so far out of my budget. I hope to make my own versions of these designs but for a fraction of the price.

It is my mother that is encouraging me to make my own clothes. When we shop together she says its ridiculous how much shops charge for clothing that is so easy and cheap to make. She is going to help me innitially.

I need help with sewing and cutting techniques but a lot of it I will make up as I go along. Fabric is so cheap that it doesnt matter so much if it doesnt go perfectly straight way.

Ive borrowed my aunts sewing machine and Im just waiting until the weekend for my mum to sit down with me and show me how to use it. Im going to start very simply by resizing an old tshirt.

I hope to start making dresses and other clothes from scratch soon. If it goes well [fingers crossed] Ill share some photos of my stuff here.

29-03-2007
V.I.P.

From which clothes is it easiest to start? Laisla, let me know more about how your project goes along

I think it's a good idea of making you own versions of catwalk items - after all, what pays in them is the image and status, not the quality.

I can't wait to get this started. I am especially looking forward to sketching and picking out fabrics I think I am going to try and start sketching designs tomorrow, because that's the only day I have time... how do I get started? I don't like the way I draw, but how can you draw inspirational designs?

I made a look book by cutting out pages I liked of old fashion magazines. I have now got a folder of fashion, and I think it's a good inspiration... In a way I can see my "collection's" theme.

rising star

Double post!

Last edited by lukewarm; 31-03-2007 at 10:55 AM.
31-03-2007
rising star

I've been thinking and actually dreaming about making my own clothes too. My problem is that I adore super clean lines and simple versatile clothing. In my experience, those are virtually impossible to find within my budget, so I'm totally excited to try and create something. I have to buy a sewing machine too, it's fun that you guys are doing this too! What do you think the easiest item of clothing is to start with?

31-03-2007
V.I.P.

Whitelinen if you have some time, I would suggest studying the basics of design first. It will help you a lot and will serve as a really strong foundation for any field of design or art (graphic, cuisine, painting, etc). You will learn how to create a composition, arrangement of shapes, lines, etc from this. It will also help you be more experimental.

I suggest looking for a book on Art Fundamentals... Elements of Design include line, shape, texture, pattern, colour, value... and Principles of Design like balance, contrast, harmony, dominance, unity, repetition...

---There is a Course you can take from a book that covers most of this--it's what was used at the Bauhaus. Just look for Bauhaus course or something like that. The book I have, it's called Design & Form, the basic course at the Bauhaus by Johannes Itten. There is also The Art of Color by Johannes Itten.

lukewarm I'd suggest getting a book on basic patternmaking, so you can create basic patterns and then alter them to your design. There is nothing easier than something else--it's all depends on your design and also depends on patience :p
laisla I look forward to seeing your work

31-03-2007
V.I.P.

Thank you Gius for the tips

V.I.P.

You're welcome I'm going to start doing the basic patterns today too! I have my classmate here to measure my body It's the weekend finally

31-03-2007
front row

i'm making most of my clothes.i even make my own bags(i can't stand the leather.) actually my mom does. i'm only making the desing and cutting.

i think easiest thing to start with is skirt.from bags tote maybe.
good luck.

01-04-2007
rising star

Thank you Gius and Luti21

05-04-2007
Press escape to continue.

I always have a really good quality notebook in my bag, and a few pencils of various hardness. When I see something I like... a pattern, shape, just about anything, I draw it or describe it in words. Every few weeks, I go back over what I have been looking at or thinking of - when I get ready to design something like a shirt or dress or hat, I have lots and lots of ideas already on hand. Sometimes, I take conte crayons with me, all different colors. I go to the park and wander around the roses, working on drawings to see if I can capture the color. I could spend a lifetime studying color and still learn something every day!

I agree that design books have their place, but there is nothing like really seeing things for myself, thinking about color and design, letting the ideas bounce around my brain... I love museum textile exhibits, and antique costumes. My current kick is fabric from Africa. The use of color and shape from Mali, Senegal and Nigeria are stunning and so very, very imaginative! I'm going country by country/culture by culture. Next, I'm going to research the Dogon culture. They worship the stars!

A first project for an aspiring designer is definately a Halloween costume if you're in the States or a country where All Saints Day or The Day of the Dead are honored. No one's going to care about haute couture in a costume, and it's really easy to find materials second hand that won't break your bank.

Happy Sewing, All!

Last edited by SomethingElse; 05-04-2007 at 08:49 PM.
09-04-2007
V.I.P.

I want to begin, but I don't know where. Already I've started contemplating which patterns I'll hoard, because I don't trust myself with developing my own. Also, I don't think I'd be interested in wearing something I designed myself, but I do want to modify some things and recreate some styles of the past.

I'd much rather wear someone else's designs than my own, but that doesn't deter me from wanting to sew.

More Old Skool Than You

This is the book I use in class, it's 800 pages of madness. Everything is explained in the clearest way. I've never done anything like pattern drafting before, but it made it easy for me to understand. I think the most important part is how it goes over fitting things properly, which to see on paper is amazing, at least to a geek like me.

Book Description
Renowned for its comprehensive coverage, exceptional illustrations, and clear instructions, this hallmark book offers detailed yet easy-to-understand explanations of the essence of patternmaking. Hinging on a recurring theme that all designs are based on one or more of the three major patternmaking and design principles—dart manipulation, added fullness, and contouring—it provides all the relevant information necessary to create design patterns with accuracy regardless of their complexity. Sewing guides included for the pleated trouser (with pattern layout), belt/loops, pockets, and zipper; the jean pant with pockets, countour belt, and fly front; and the gusset. Updated jacket foundation draft includes fabric preparation, interfacing, chest piece, tape control, and shoulder pads. Pant drafts—Trouser draft including pocket, waistband, and loop; dungaree foundation draft; grunge pant draft; and three jean waistline variations including pocket and sewing instruction. Includes fitting corrections for the basic patterns. Unique section on patternmaking for bias-cut garments. For anyone developing their patternmaking skills.

Product Details
  • Ring-bound
  • Publisher: Prentice Hall; 4 edition (February 18, 2005)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0131699938
  • ISBN-13: 978-0131699939
  • Product Dimensions: 11.7 x 10.2 x 2.1 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 5.3 pounds
http://www.amazon.com/Patternmaking-Fashion-Design-DVD-Package/dp/0131699938/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_3_txt/102-6830259-7406511

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clothes, making