How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-12-2004
backstage pass

wow, those are gorgeous softgrey

17-12-2004
Vision of Paradise

i like it.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
i'm making a necklace...'ll show you when i'm done....
it's inspired by all the chunky necklaces on the runways for spring...
ie...marc by marc, cacharel, marni, proenza schouler, etc...
and the gorgeous lanvin jewelry...
i like that softie i make my own jewelery mostly chains and wire. does anyone know thom binns?? i do the same sort of style...i use tons of chains dangled/wrapped/tangled together sometimes with charms and stones wired on i like to get crazy !

right now im inspired by the leather and stone marni pieces

front row

Softgrey, nice ideas as well as wonderful results!

I love making my own jewlery, but I wasn't really prepared for how time comsuming it is.
I make jewlery for friends a family too, and then I'm slowly starting on selling it, since I found out that people are actually willing to pay me for it.

I work with all kinds of materials; beads, metals, wood, plastic and so on. Right now I'm trying to kind of merge plastic and wood, and so far it's going really good. I'll post pictures when I get the chance to borrow a camera.

18-12-2004
Meg
inspired contemplation

softie that is a GORG necklace! I also love how you used the cord. Makes me think of the dries grosgrain belted dresses, or some of the marni dresses that looked as if they were tied with rope. lovely how you worked that in!

Maybe you addressed this already but did you attach the bobbles using thread or glue? I've a lot of time on my hands this Christmas break (but i will definately be checking out local shops for oversized ethnic jewelry as well).

Also, just had a thought. Did you get the pearls individually at a bead shop or by breaking a faux pearl necklace? I went into a bead shop here and asked the girl if they had any faux pearls and she didn't even know what pearls were I'm thinking the latter might be a better idea for someone who lives in a location such as I do.

pigling:
can't wait to see your metal/plastic creation!!

18-12-2004
I loved you

Echoing Meg's words... Softie!
I keep on telling myself to drop by the bead store and make several necklaces but I can never find the time... This thread has certaintly given me determination to stop the procastination.

18-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolitaLuxe
i like that softie i make my own jewelery mostly chains and wire. does anyone know thom binns?? i do the same sort of style...i use tons of chains dangled/wrapped/tangled together sometimes with charms and stones wired on i like to get crazy !

right now im inspired by the leather and stone marni pieces
thom binns rocks! , definetly one of the best jewlery designers now.

I love making jewlery, although I deisgn alot of things that i would need skill with metal and plastic to make, But I make alot of necklaces and pin/broaches with chains, charms, bit's of cloth.

One of my best friends designed amazing jewlery for some time that was made form resin and looked like planets and galaxys, Agnes B used it in a show.

18-12-2004
no photos, no photos

Soft--I love it! I really like your inspiration pic--who's is that?
Yes, Spring is anything goes. I think huge beads are awesome and can be picked up at a lot of thrift stores for cheap! I've been making earrings out of various chains I've found by attaching them to a jump ring and hook. They are super easy (and cheap) to do and turn out great.

18-12-2004
no photos, no photos

I think this necklace is AWESOME!!! It would be very easy to duplicate with a tube of silk and rocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00280t.jpg (4.6 KB, 792 views)

18-12-2004
no photos, no photos

Here's a better pic. Both are from Alberta Ferreti
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00010f.jpg (21.3 KB, 129 views)

18-12-2004
stories everywhere

cute necklaces softie! the pompom.... for obvious reasons.

I love making stuff. I took a small scale sculpture class (jewelry making) a few semesters ago and learned to soder, cast and sweat soder. I made some amazing pieces that summer! I think I'll go and get some work done today actually... I'm feeling inspired. but not until this afternoon.

my interpretations of the lanvin pearls...

-kind of a common look now, but this style was hard to find 6 months ago, so I made them

stories everywhere

charm necklace... I took apart so many other necklaces for this... and raided my mom's 80's earring collection, which resulted in lots of charms

large piece of light blue-green seaglass with a wave coming over... and mother of pearl shard that I sculpted into an oval shape (the band is the best part though, I based that off some lace that was on my underwear ). both I did during my small scale sculpture class.

the band... (sweat sodering and sawing are my specialties)

stories everywhere

my first ring... made of copper and sea glass. its terribly ugly. but I wear it anyhow. Its one of my favorite funny pieces.

no photos, no photos

Ocean--All of your work is fantastic! I really like the charm necklace. I actually wanted to do something similar to your charm necklace for a friend but never got around to it....charms are hard to find at thrift stores.

18-12-2004
Meg
inspired contemplation

Oh ocean that charm necklace is fabulous!!! Really gorg. My dad is a master of all things so I'll ask him to help me make some stuff via saudering. And I love that first ring! It has this roughness about it I adore.

18-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

wow...this thread has really grown...!!
thanks for all the compliments folks...
to answer some questions...
lo...i LOVE tom binns and have been a fan for ages... i met him a long time ago ...sweet irish guy...bit of a snob... tortured artist type...
chris..the inspiration photo is lanvin spring...
meg...i hot glued the baubles on...and the pearls are a string that i cut up...the little mirrored squares are from a x-mas ornament...tiny disco ball i dismantled...the glass domes are from a flower arrangement section...the silver beads are from x-mas trim that i cut up...(i really meant it when i said anything goes...LOL)

ocean..i;m so glad you've started posting your work...you are quite gifted...i especially love the seaglass ring with the wave band...(i'm a water sign)...
i wish i had access to some tools to make stuff like that...so cool!!!

i'd love to see everyone else's work...

i was speaking to a boy last night about making jewelry...apparently PRATT school of design has good facilities for that and he made some jewelry while he was there...gotta love a boy who makes his own jewelry...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
jewelry, making