How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-03-2006
V.I.P.

Wow! So many of these are amazing...there isn't even one I prefer the most!! Well done!

11-03-2006
windowshopping

I made this from a kit i got in a shop called Yum Yum Beads in Leeds:

People always ask where i bought it and are amazed i made it lol it's actually quite easy ^^

02-04-2006
windowshopping

You can take a look at some of my pieces at www.sophieanders.tk

Would love some feedback!

Soph

29-05-2006
front row

anyone made anything fabulous lately? I've made a few pieces, but nothng ground breaking or post worthy, really :p Just curious, this thread seems a little dead!

Cyn

V.I.P.

Well, haven't made anything recently, but I don't think I've posted these quite old pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0651.JPG (19.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0680.JPG (14.3 KB, 1 views)

adi
fashion insider

you people are so talented. and i'm so jealous
i should try making something..

31-05-2006
front row

Lucia, those are very nice! May I ask what the materials are? I'm guessing mother of pearl discs, but what about the smaller, sparkly discs wrapped in wire in the first pair? Is that resin? I've been experimenting with resin lately, although so far most of my pieces are fairly crude

Adi, you really should try, it is very theraputic! And you can start out easy, but still make some really lovely stuff at the same time!

Cyn

V.I.P.

Arksiel do you mean you're melting resin and forming it into new shapes???

31-05-2006
front row

Not melting it, no That would probably be rather unhealthy and dangerous!

I purchased resin from Michaels, you purchase it in two parts, mix it up, and pour it into molds! It has to cure, and then you just pop your pieces out, and use a dremel to make holes for jump rings. But the stuff can be finicky, and is fairly toxic, so you have to work outside, and even then I have stopped working with it until I buy a fume mask, since it made me rather ill! But I keep forgetting to go to the hardware store...

er yes. a rather long rambling response! I hope that helps..

Cyn

V.I.P.

That is so cool! Thanks so much for sharing, Arksiel!. I actually had no idea about how to make jewellery right from scratch (besides melting metals and carving wood); and that it would be fairly user-friendly and available right at Michael's. It's nice that you would be able to decide on your own shapes and colours

I wonder what other kinds of materials one could use...
I've seen latex at a craft shop before. Maybe there is also plexiglass or other thermoplastic for moulding (people have been telling me a lot of the accessories I'm looking at are made of this)

Would be so cool to be able to make more "jewel" or crystal-like or see-through materials and stones

31-05-2006
V.I.P.

^

P.S. Now I remember something my sculpture teacher told me...
we don't use resin for projects anymore in the school because some classmates were allergic to it, it seems, and reacted to the fumes (or perhaps also, the fumes stayed in the school--I forget exactly what it was).

shame on toxic materials

Last edited by gius; 31-05-2006 at 11:54 PM.
01-06-2006
front row

yes, it is really toxic... I learned the hard way. I don't recommend using it without a fume mask (and I'm not talking about those silly things doctors wear, I mean one from a hardware store)

If you are looking for easy stuff to work with, try shrink dinks at first. you're only limited by your designs, and while most people tend to think of anything made with the stuff as summer camp creations, you can actually do some really neat stuff with it! Plus hey, I'm simple-minded and think melting bits of plastic in my oven is fun. lol!

Cyn

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksiel
Lucia, those are very nice! May I ask what the materials are? I'm guessing mother of pearl discs, but what about the smaller, sparkly discs wrapped in wire in the first pair? Is that resin? I've been experimenting with resin lately, although so far most of my pieces are fairly crude

Adi, you really should try, it is very theraputic! And you can start out easy, but still make some really lovely stuff at the same time!

Cyn
Thank you
I don't know what resin is But the first pair is only made of "window paint" which is some kind of liquid plastic (when it's in the tube of course) I bought in a hobby store.
It's called Arti'Stick, don't know if you have it in Canada, but I guess you have.
There's no mother of pearl in the first pair. (I used "rainbow sparkle" for the inner part and white for the rest)

Hope it was understandably, if not just ask again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artistick_windowcling_paint_grp01.jpg (34.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Lucia-; 01-06-2006 at 10:07 AM.
01-06-2006
adi
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksiel
thanks for encouragement, maybe i'll sdo omething over the summer. i have whole holiday free so i have time to be creative plus i'm getting a really good sewing machine so watch out people here i come !!

01-06-2006
V.I.P.

Sounds interesting, Lucia. Did you put the Arti'stick in moulds? Does the Arti' stick dry very hard ???

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. I must try them soon!
I'm the same as you, adi-- free time and sewing machine sale this weekend for me!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
jewelry, making