How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-07-2008
tea time

some pieces made out of hama beads i like the honeycomb effect

brooches

earings

brooches made out of scoobis these were big in the uk amougst kids long tubes of bendy plastic that can be knotted and weaved into alot of different things.

my old lego figures from childhood made into brooches

bow brooche made by sewing up the bow then sticking on the pin i like pinning it to necklines onto hats anywhere i feel that needs a bow.

and something a little strange i was shopping for a plastic pink flamingo in a fishing shop and came across these strange things so made them into earings dont really wear them though.

all photos are my own.

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/

05-07-2008
tea time

and...

i like some of the jewellery on this website but they sell some bits for jewellery making think they only ship within the u.k. though.

www.voodoopickle.com its under the D.I.Y. Goodies section

05-07-2008
front row

another really easy project with fun results is to find an old decanter label (they hang around the neck of the bottle on a short chain, and are inscribed with the bottle's contents--vodka, gin, rye, whiskey, etc.). usually they are silver or silver-plate and sometimes porcelain. all you have to do is remove the original chain and replace it with a chain, wire, or cord of your choice so you can use it as a pendant.

it's a fun item to wear (and a good way to advertise your favorite spirit ) i made one for my old roommate who worked at a high-end jewelry company--even everybody there loved it.

you can find vintage silver ones at flea markets for as little as $20-30, and silver-plated ones even cheaper. some antique ones are very valuable, so don't use those!!

will try to post pictures of a couple of mine tonite.

05-07-2008
tea time

fashion.fashoff i've never seen those im intrigued

05-07-2008
trendsetter

^I made a vodka one awhile ago. I'll post photos later.

05-07-2008
front row

i just got this sterling gin label at a thrift store. i plan to make something more elaborate with it, but to illustrate what i mean, here it is with a simple chain attached.

05-07-2008
tea time

wah gin my favourite drink

i might go and check ebay to see if theres any it looks pretty esp with the detail framing the engravement... i'd rather be labeled with my favourite spirit than my name someone might take the hint and buy me one.

22-09-2008
rising star

Help me make these pieces of jewelry! please :)
So, I have been making my own beaded jewelry for some time now, and I always see pieces that I love, but I KNOW I can make. So, here are some things that I would like to make by myself - and if you have any ideas how to make them - let me know

my question on this one, is how does the band stay in place that doesn't go through the gold circle piece? - (I hope this makes sense)
- IMAGE FROM SHOPINTUITION.COM

my question on this one, is how you tie the string so you can loosen it and tighten it --> if there are any instructions online that would be great!

- I'll add more as I think of them
Thanks

24-09-2008
backstage pass

I don't know how you do the loosen and tightening one (I'm sure someone else will know this)
But the one at the top looks really simple, you slip the gold bead on a string of leather then you make a loop where the bead is and then pull the ends of the string through the loop to secure that knot (I'm sure that there is a name for this knot which might make it easier for you to search for some how-to pictures...because I don't think my instruction was very good :/)

More Old Skool Than You

Not big on jewelry, but I know a few knots!

The top one isn't hard, I just did it with an electric guitar cable around a post on my computer desk. It's more or less a simple loop knot but the one end goes around the gold circle thing and then that same end goes back through the original knot. I'd take pictures but I'm stuck on dial-up for a while, so it's too painful to upload.

The second knot is a taut-line hitch, used for pitching huge tents or securing cargo. It's also a close relative to the noose:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taut-line_hitch

As far as the ends of the top one, you can run your material through electrical terminals used for cars. You can get a huge box of terminals in all sizes and the terminal pliers for under $10. Really easy to use.

Last edited by fourboltmain; 25-09-2008 at 02:40 AM.
04-10-2008
V.I.P.

If you want to be able to loosen and tighten the bracelet, you can also use the Double Fisherman's Knot. I found a pretty good .gif here.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadorePeace View Post

my question on this one, is how you tie the string so you can loosen it and tighten it --> if there are any instructions online that would be great!

- I'll add more as I think of them
Thanks
this is a triple hand overknot.. you can google it for instructions hope it helps

front row

Aww, this thread makes me want to get into beading again...

15-11-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance.Is.Refusal. View Post
some pieces made out of hama beads i like the honeycomb effect

brooches

earings

brooches made out of scoobis these were big in the uk amougst kids long tubes of bendy plastic that can be knotted and weaved into alot of different things.

my old lego figures from childhood made into brooches

bow brooche made by sewing up the bow then sticking on the pin i like pinning it to necklines onto hats anywhere i feel that needs a bow.

and something a little strange i was shopping for a plastic pink flamingo in a fishing shop and came across these strange things so made them into earings dont really wear them though.

all photos are my own.

OMG they are so cute! I especially love the lego pins and honeycomb bowties! - I might have to copy - gotta call mom and see if she saved the legos!

15-11-2008
trendsetter

Two new bracelets from recycled stones:

Sorry about the crappy quality - I used a scanner! :p

Tahitian Pearl

Ruby, Sapphire, Brass + Gold

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
jewelry, making