How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-02-2009
front row

^EricSaeter, i love the ring in the second picture...it reminds me of some 70s scandinavian cast bronze jewelry i have had in the past. very sculptural & marketable. are you a jewelry designer by trade?

i wish i still had soldering and casting equipment available to me. but i have fun assembling jewelry pieces out of junk i find at flea markets or in the trash. this "junkyard necklace" is something i threw together from metal parts i harvested from 2 computers i found in the trash room in my building...still thinking of something to do with the chips & motherboards.

too dramatic for the grocery store but maybe i'll wear it to a club or party some time.

28-02-2009
V.I.P.

i love this thread!!! i use to make and sell beaded jewellery at markets. i stopped doing it tho.

28-02-2009
V.I.P.

does anyone know how to make resin rings??

28-02-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSæter View Post
This reply is a little out of date, but. . . You don't want lead on your skin. Skin is absorbent. That's why Nicotine patches work. . .
Well I imagine the small amount you use in soldering is not enough to bring you close to poisoning.

Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to cut resin? Would a diamond tipped blade saw work? I'm just wondering because I'll be at my dad's this summer and I'm thinking of experimenting with some stuff and he has a lot of tools (power tools, large power saws, etc. etc.) and I'm wondering if I got a sheet of colored resin if I could cut it into a shape that I wanted.....

01-03-2009
V.I.P.

are there places that sell these sort of tiny 'frames' where you can put pictures inside?
see Frida Kahlo one and so on...

etsy.com

01-03-2009
The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
are there places that sell these sort of tiny 'frames' where you can put pictures inside?
see Frida Kahlo one and so on...
They are easy to find gius. Here are a few links. Some of the charms come with plastic or glass inserts for covering the picture. The ones that don't usually will provide the instructions for finishing. If you know how to work with resin you can use that for finishing also. If you leave near a bead or craft store you can see them there as they are a popular item & I'm sure they would stock it.

http://www.firemountaingems.com/sear...=picture+frame

http://www.artbeads.com/charms-pictu...FRIcawodsRqHmg

http://www.rubbernation.com/servlet/...ame/Categories

01-03-2009
V.I.P.

thank you ^ Will try to look for some, I'm sure I saw a just-bead store a couple of days ago

I've been to Michaels here.. I couldn't find any
I found magnets, revolving pencil holders and plastic sheets for mounting on the wall.. and keychains. All a bit too big

02-03-2009
front row

gius, try ebay. i searched "silver frame charm" and a whole bunch came up (very inexpensive).

trendsetter

Amazin work guys contragulations everyone

The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion.fashoff View Post
gius, try ebay. i searched "silver frame charm" and a whole bunch came up (very inexpensive).
Yeah ebay is good for some jewelry supplies... but you have to be careful who you buy from & inexpensive isn't always the best. So... IMO best to check the bead or craft store selection first to familiarize yourself with the different finishing techniques & then try ebay if you'd like.

04-03-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Well I imagine the small amount you use in soldering is not enough to bring you close to poisoning.

Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to cut resin? Would a diamond tipped blade saw work? I'm just wondering because I'll be at my dad's this summer and I'm thinking of experimenting with some stuff and he has a lot of tools (power tools, large power saws, etc. etc.) and I'm wondering if I got a sheet of colored resin if I could cut it into a shape that I wanted.....
Why would you solder with lead? They have silver and nickel (if you aren't allergic to nickel).

Resin is really easy to deal with. It's a lot softer than other forms of acrylic. You can cut it with a hacksaw very easily. Power tools will make your cuts cleaner but you will always need to finish your pieces, so don't let any lack of equipment discourage you. The most important part of casting resins is getting your catalyst/resit mixture perfect and mixed well, I can't stress this enough. It's really un-fun to try to deal with sticky plastic.

Here's some more stuff

05-03-2009
front row

feathers
One necklace with feathers. Actually I have made lot of jewelry, but I don't have good photos.

16-03-2009
front row

earings, the other one isn't ready yet ;s.

feathers again, it goes around the neck

01-04-2009
scenester

anyone know any great jewellery suppliers for chunky chains and unique pieces?

trendsetter

^ I know a lot of places in NYC.

Seeing as your think says U.K. - here are some websites I found that are U.K. based.

For Jewelry Chains (sterling, gold, gold-filled)

http://www.beadsunlimited.co.uk/Chain/c64

http://www.beadsandco.co.uk/comersus...?idCategory=65

http://www.walshbrothers.co.uk/Updat...p/IX_chain.htm

http://www.rashbel.com/

For Chunky chains like for bags I would try I large hardware emporium (like home depot in the US) - Or some time of trimming/garment store.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
jewelry, making