How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style / Workshop - DIY - Do it yourself
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-08-2009
windowshopping

matador pants
I saw this photo on a blog a few months ago and have been obsessed with making my own version with lace trim and black leggings. I finally got the lace this weekend (i posted a slightly similar pic down below).

My only apprehension now is handsewing the lace (which is not stretchy) onto cotton leggings with a bit of stretch. I'm worried about puckering and the lace overstretching when I put the leggings on. Does anyone have any advice? I'm dying to start this project, but I want to make sure I do it right!

photos: my own, mjtrim.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pants!!.jpg (396.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg similar lace.jpg (61.5 KB, 1 views)

11-08-2009
windowshopping

I would put the leggings on and have a friend pin the lace on both ends in a straight, taut line exactly where u want it sewn. Then, when u sew it, all you have to do is make sure the lace is tight from end to end as you hand stitch. Something along the lines of this method would probably work.

Just a suggestion. I hope it helps! These leggings look awesome and I hope you post pictures!

18-08-2009
windowshopping

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up pinning the lace on myself and then using an embroidery hoop to keep the lace and fabric taut while I sewed bit by bit. I have one leg done and it looks pretty amazing-- so great that I wish I'd invested in a better pair of leggings for the project. I'll post photos in the Customizations thread when I'm done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DymondDiosa View Post
I would put the leggings on and have a friend pin the lace on both ends in a straight, taut line exactly where u want it sewn. Then, when u sew it, all you have to do is make sure the lace is tight from end to end as you hand stitch. Something along the lines of this method would probably work.

Just a suggestion. I hope it helps! These leggings look awesome and I hope you post pictures!

25-06-2010
front row

I love this idea. You should post pictures when you're done

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
matador, pants